Author Topic: 2009-2010 NFL discussion thread  (Read 38677 times)

vansmack

Re: 2009-2010 NFL discussion thread
« Reply #75 on: October 16, 2009, 12:28:34 pm »
He got everything he wanted out of it.  Attention, free press and something else to bitch about.
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #76 on: October 17, 2009, 08:03:03 pm »
for tomorrow's skins-chiefs game, stubhub has uppers for $8, lowers for $35, and 4th row on the 50 year line for $79... between the sucky team and the horrible weather, looks like people can't give their tickets away.
<sig>

godsshoeshine

« Reply #77 on: October 18, 2009, 10:19:48 pm »
to me the worst part of seeing a game live is peeing and missing half a quarter

rush was screwed by the free market system. maybe he should buy a team in france
o/\o

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #78 on: October 19, 2009, 12:30:05 am »
weather turned out to be much nicer than predicted.  game turned out to be as bad as predicted.

anyone wanna cop the "but it's only week X" routine?

rush was screwed by the free market system. maybe he should buy a team in france

early contender for POTW.  may or may not stand, but it's solid.
<sig>

Mobius

« Reply #79 on: October 19, 2009, 12:32:36 am »
It f*cking sucks that team owners aren't accountable.  The Redskins make me sad

ggw

« Reply #80 on: October 19, 2009, 01:31:00 am »
It f*cking sucks that team owners aren't accountable.  The Redskins make me sad

As a small boy, Daniel Snyder loved the Redskins. As a small man, he bought them.
Quickly the dark cloud of his stewardship descended over Redskin nation......

Focused only on increasing his own power, he has rendered this historic franchise and its loyal fans powerless.
He is the taker of life, wealth and happiness.  He yields only darkness and doom??

He is the man we know now as??

DARTH SNYDER

www.darthsnyder.com

« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 01:33:00 am by ggw »

Mobius

« Reply #81 on: October 19, 2009, 11:01:36 am »
Aint it hard when you discover that
He really wasnt where its at
After he took from you everything he could steal.

How does it feel

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #82 on: October 20, 2009, 06:15:01 pm »
Redskins Hold Press Conference To Announce They Are Still Sort Of A Football Team

WASHINGTON?Washington Redskins head coach Jim Zorn held a press conference Sunday to reassure fans that, despite an inability to effectively execute their offense, defense, or special teams, the Redskins were still somewhat comparable to a real football team. "It's been a tough season so far, and even though we are 2-4, we still have players, uniforms, Motorola headsets?all the components that technically constitute an NFL team, sort of," Zorn said while grimacing and making a "so-so" gesture with his hand. "Sure, I was stripped of play-calling responsibilities by team management, and I really don't have any clue who will play quarterback for us this Sunday, but I swear to you, in a weird, very convoluted way, we are in the NFL." Placing his hand over the microphone, Zorn then spoke briefly with an unidentified man near the stage, and announced that, for what it's worth, the organization owns the Internet domain name washingtonredskins.com through 2010.

http://www.theonion.com/content/news_briefs/redskins_hold_press
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #83 on: October 20, 2009, 06:28:20 pm »
I actually thought the news on the ticker during Sunday night football was an onion headline:

"Redskins Zorn Stripped of Play-Calling Duties"

And I thought to myself (or actually, venerable can tell you that I thought it out loud), "He's the fucking head coach - who has the power to take that away from him who wouldn't rather just take away his job all together?"

Turns out there's another layer between the Head coach and the owner who isn't only in charge of player personnel (like a GM).  Front office cheif Vinny Cerrato took those duties away and didn't give them to the Offensive Coordinator, instead hiring an outsider and calling him "offensive consultant."

Seriously, how many layers can they possibly have and wonder why things are still going so badly?
27>34

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #84 on: October 20, 2009, 08:40:45 pm »
My favorite onion sports headline ever was "Randy Moss Complains he's Getting the Ball too Much.

Every day I go the post online and expect to see the headling that Zorn's been canned. 

ggw

« Reply #85 on: October 21, 2009, 01:02:24 am »
"offensive consultant."

Translation = "Future Interim Head Coach"

Mobius

« Reply #86 on: October 21, 2009, 01:11:58 am »
i wish there were two sherms, like the two bobs in office space

chaz

« Reply #87 on: October 21, 2009, 11:40:10 am »
"offensive consultant."

Translation = "Future Interim Head Coach"
He won't be head coach if there is an interim. 

chaz

« Reply #88 on: October 21, 2009, 03:37:11 pm »
I was reading another article about the controversy surrounding the Redskins name today, this one centered around the skins' unofficial mascot Chief Zee.

And it occurred to me...At this point it would not surprise me is Danny went along with the pressure at some point and changed the name.  First of all, as with any logo/uniform change there is the obvious financial windfall assoaciated with schwag sales with the new logo/whatever.  Danny likes the $$ so it would be a no brainer on this front. 

Changing the name would draw the ire of many long time fans to be sure.  But let's face it...the majority would would eventually get over it and step in line like everyone else.

The other win win for Danny would be public opinion.  Not only is he hated in DC, but he's seen (accurately) by most people around the country as a spoiled buffoon that knows nothing about football who is driving the team into the ground.  What better PR move to repair the public perception than to ditch a trademark that is seen not only as offensive to native americans and many others but also outdated and out of touch with the times?  It's a move that would also provide a huge smoke screen to the larger issue, that being a floundering disfunctional club that is losing its grip on its fanbase.

Thoughts?????

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #89 on: October 21, 2009, 04:02:39 pm »
DC football is way too steeped in tradition.  in fact, at the moment the ONLY thing the team really has going for it is tradition (aka loyalty).  zero chance, IMO, that they change the name and try to re-build the brand under a new banner. 

(but if they do, i hear that the name  "the bullets" is available...)
<sig>