Author Topic: Sonic Circuits Roll Call  (Read 9509 times)

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
Re: Sonic Circuits Roll Call
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2009, 03:09:24 pm »
i bet there will be more people traveling from richmond and baltimore to see faust than people in dc.
Would that make this a natural Richmond show? HUTCH TO THREAD!!

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2009, 03:09:36 pm »
BTW, what is RatBastard's real name/band name?

azaghal1981

« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2009, 03:47:56 pm »
we just worked out the sonic circuits schedule for the 26th.  i can't promise it will be to the minute, but we do have to follow this schedule closely:

jandek: 9-10
kotra: 10-10:30
ergo: 10:45-11:15
tim hecker: 11:30-12:15
gunter hampel: 12:30-1:15

that's relieving. should i buy my ticket in advance for saturday?

And hopefully by the time Faust are on, the chatty hipsters will have left.

one of the most depressing events of the year was seeing the crowd of 300 or so who attended the magik markers/ghost show in williamsburg dwindle to less than 100 by the middle of ghost's set. we barely deserved the encore that we got. faust deserves better, and hopefully so.

I found the Magik Markers to at least be an appropriate opener for Ghost. They're on the same label and there is definitely cross-over between fanbases. However, Health are on sunday's bill only because they'll draw in a few hundred extra heads (the majority of whom will know nothing about any of the other acts playing).

احمد

redsock

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2009, 04:22:05 pm »
I found the Magik Markers to at least be an appropriate opener for Ghost. They're on the same label and there is definitely cross-over between fanbases. However, Health are on sunday's bill only because they'll draw in a few hundred extra heads (the majority of whom will know nothing about any of the other acts playing).

Except that it will be that few hundred (perhaps more than a quarter of the audience?) that will make sure the club can actually pay the other bands, at least without going into the red for the night. An evil perhaps, but a necessary one. And likely one of the reasons this show is at the Black Cat and not a much smaller club or space.

Edit: NM, i see from your previous posts that you pretty much agree with me. Sorry for the redundancy.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 04:25:23 pm by redsock »

Vas Deferens

« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2009, 04:39:47 pm »
so who should be blamed for booking Health at the BC? Sonic Circuits festival organizers?  ::)
(_|_)

azaghal1981

« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2009, 04:42:40 pm »
No blame necessary. It only makes sense that they did it from a financial standpoint like Redsock said.
احمد

Captain Jack

« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2009, 02:28:21 am »
saw Gunter Hampel tonight in Richmond, totally raging free-jazz, hard bop. ecstatic fucking vibe playing. totally rad.

See that motherfucker.

azaghal1981

« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2009, 06:44:45 am »
Borisov/Nikkilä had a few moments of brilliance.
Airaksinen's
 set was pretty and hypnotic.
Health stuck out like sore thumbs as expected and thankfully, the hipsters filed out like lemmings after their set.
Grier/Krieger/Rat Bastard was a fun noisy mess of guitars.
Faust played an excellent career-spanning 90 minute set.

احمد

snailhook

« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2009, 01:17:02 am »
so who should be blamed for booking Health at the BC? Sonic Circuits festival organizers?

it was a joint decision. health were touring through the same time we had sonic circuits, and both the black cat and the sonic circuits organizers (which include me and a couple of others) felt that adding health would be good for the draw. they are also just "experimental" enough to fit on the bill.

they really didn't help with the draw, to be honest. total attendance for the night was roughly 120. it might have gotten to 150. health was thoroughly mediocre noise-rock, beating a dead horse that died a few years back. i'm surprised anyone gets excited by these dudes. it isn't bad, just generic.

anybody see jandek? playing with him was a total trip. i felt it was a reasonably cohesive set, and apparently, jandek liked it. also totally unpredictable.