Author Topic: Anyone else go to the Butthole Surfers last night?  (Read 3735 times)

Sir HC

Anyone else go to the Butthole Surfers last night?
« on: September 29, 2009, 10:09:28 am »
At sonar.  Looked like it was not even sold out.

Psychic Ills were not that great, too loud, and did just the new album.

Still I am in love (lust) with their bassist.

BHS, still the classic line up, and this time no school of rock kids.  Did a great set, pulled out soem that I haven't heard in ages:

Something
Cowboy Bob
One Hundred Million...
Graveyard
???
???
Gary Floyd
To Parter
Tornados
Hey
Dustdevil
X-ray
Negro Observer
BBQ Pope
Edgar
Goofy's Concern
??? (Hairway mid tempo, not Jimi, Roky, or Fast)
Someone In My Room
--------------
Cherub
Fast
Shah

I am not great on the Independent Worm Saloon songs (that is where I started ignoring their CDs some), but it was a great set, Gibby was in great form, and fun.

nkotb

Re: Anyone else go to the Butthole Surfers last night?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 10:22:12 am »
Man, wish I had been able to make it.  I haven't heard Gary Floyd in forever!  Man, I'd love a 9:30 show with the classic line-up and no School of Rock kids.

Relaxer

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 10:26:39 am »
so would I
oword

nkotb

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 10:29:05 am »
Hey, Sir HC, what's with the frown faces?  Songs you didn't recognize?  Shitty songs?  Just curious.

Sir HC

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 11:00:27 am »
I put down ? ? ? (without the spaces) and got frowny faces.

First is one from later, forget the name, second is Suicide, third is Blindman, forgot those titles.  And yeah, third is PO'd not Hairway.  I added them on my cassette and they fell into being all the same album.

Sir HC

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 01:26:45 pm »
And first one IIRC is the T-Shirt song from Independent Worm Saloon.

SPARX

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 09:11:37 pm »
I didn't make it but had a few friends that did. Sounded like a good show. Here's  a summation from a friend of mine regarding the show FWIW. I tend to agree with his assesment of the Butts show and alot of my old faves when I go back down memory lane:

The Butts were on last night. They came on real strong the first 2 or 3 songs then they went back and fourth between on and not so on for  5 songs and eventually hit their stride during a song from Independent Worm Saloon and managed to keep it going until the show ended. They had great visuals and the show as basically real good. However, the passage of time was noticeable in both the band members and the audience. That, we're all totally wasted vibe that used to permeate a Butts show, both from the band and the audience, was not present. I miss the component but I still managed to enjoy the show, it just wasn't the same.

SPARX

Sir HC

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 09:24:24 pm »
When I saw them at the old 930, I was shocked seeing people open wallets and drop tabs.  Last night, I saw people with the x's on their hands and thought "Holy sh!t, I saw them before you were born!".  I agree, no flaming cymbals, but there is the reassurance that they might be around for a few more years.  I really am not a big IWS fan, so those are always biased as "meh", but 2 Parter bummed me as they skipped the second set of verses and more importantly missed the great solo of that song.  It was awesome to hear some oldies that I haven't heard live, I hope they stay together, make more new stuff (though they played nothing off the last two albums) and they keep it going.  Gibby was on form, I could almost see that psycho from Blind Eye (the early show where he is naked talking about "the police" that are not there) with that awesome glint.

And the amount of pot I smelled in the air, wow, without anyone seeming to get busted and kicked out.  I got a contact high.

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 09:34:21 pm »
At the risk of pissing off actual serious fans of the band: do Pepper and Whatever not make setlists anymore?

SPARX

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 11:39:58 pm »
At the risk of pissing off actual serious fans of the band: do Pepper and Whatever not make setlists anymore?

Being a serious fan, I'm glad they did Pepper for what is was, easy money and then ditched it, if that's the case. I'm sure people screamed for it all the time in a GBV kinda intensity for their fave song "that they came  all the way from... and they didn't play..."

They have an endless supply of far superior tunes to choose from their extensive catalog. I realize you missed the 1st go round. Nothin personal, just my take. They were on top of their game with those shows at the old club on F. Glad they can still whip out the tunes. Makes me miss Lux for some reason. Great frontmen I suppose. 
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 11:42:11 pm by SPARX »

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 03:23:23 am »
Psychic Ills were not that great, too loud, and did just the new album.

Oh, crap! The Psychic Ills were in town and I missed them!?

Shame they only did their newer music but I wold have been happy with that.

Oh, well. I couldn't have made it anyway.  :-\

nkotb

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 07:34:31 am »
I think they've dropped them mostly due to the classic line-up being back together.  But even during the tours behind those two albums, they barely played any of those songs. Especially with the last one...I think they only played one song from that album, maybe two from Electric Larryland, and the rest was the good stuff.

Sir HC

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 02:46:17 pm »
They did nothing from Rembrant Pussy Horse, Electric Larry Land and the last one.

I wish they would do Cough Syrup though, love that song.

Relaxer

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2009, 03:01:09 pm »
Rembrandt Pussyhorse, to me, is their lost classic. Doesn't get the love/attention that the more visceral Psychic Powerless and Locust Abortion get because it's more lowkey. But it should be held up as a classic rapeshit art rock album of the 80s.
oword