Author Topic: The 2010 Albums Thread  (Read 73016 times)

Mark_Read

Re: The 2010 Albums Thread
« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2010, 10:14:37 pm »
Paull Weller's "Wake Up The Nation" will have guest spots from Kevin Shields, Clem Cattini, Bev Bevin, and Bruce Foxton.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2010/02/03/paul-weller-to-wake-up-the-nation/

azaghal1981

« Reply #76 on: February 10, 2010, 10:18:17 pm »
I just read that Kevin Shields was collaborating with Weller no more than a couple hours ago.

If only he would stop procrastinating w/r/t getting his own shit done.
احمد

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #77 on: February 10, 2010, 11:06:05 pm »
Has anyone heard the new Massive Attack yet? I know, can't get to stores, no deliveries, etc....
😐 🎶

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #78 on: February 10, 2010, 11:13:44 pm »
oh right, thanks for reminding me.  i've been meaning to listen to that one... too much music in the queue.  i'll let you know what i think in 52:58.
<sig>

azaghal1981

« Reply #79 on: February 10, 2010, 11:16:26 pm »
I thought it was pleasant.
احمد

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #80 on: February 11, 2010, 02:30:57 am »
on first listen: it's awright.  didn't grab me at first listen, but i was working while listening so it didn't have 100% of my attention.  lacks the trippiness and ominousness of MA's peak output, and nothing struck me as being trip-hop.  there are nonetheless some good solid moments, and one unlistenable track. 

maybe it's a grower, i'll def be giving it more listens.  seems like the band is evolving, might take a little time to appreciate.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 02:32:48 am by sweetcell »
<sig>

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #81 on: February 14, 2010, 02:30:08 pm »
New Morcheeba album and tour with Syke back as vocalist, plus another solo album from Skye in the spring!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 02:32:22 pm by kosmo vinyl »
T.Rex

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #82 on: February 14, 2010, 02:39:15 pm »
New Morcheeba album and tour with Syke back as vocalist, plus another solo album from Skye in the spring!
That would be a great show at the club.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #83 on: February 14, 2010, 02:59:44 pm »
great news!!!  ;D ;D ;D

(_|_)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #84 on: February 14, 2010, 08:08:48 pm »
+2 for morcheeba (the missus is all over this one)
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #85 on: February 15, 2010, 02:05:29 am »

Artist: Ulrich Schnauss
Album: Missing Deadlines - Selected Remixes
Release Date: March 15
Label: Rocket Girl

Tracklist:

01 Howling Bells: "Setting Sun"
02 A Sunny Day in Glasgow: "Ghost in the Graveyard"
03 Katharina Franck: "Faithful Friend"
04 Madrid: "Out to Sea"
05 Asobi Seksu: "Strawberries"
06 Dragons: "Remembrance"
07 Aus: "Halo"
08 Mahogany: "Supervitesse"
09 Lunz (Roedelius & Tim Story): "Lunz"
10 Rachel Goswell: "Coastline"
11 High Violets: "Chinese Letter"
12 Mark Gardener: "Story of the Eye"
13 I'm Not a Gun: "Make Sense and Loose"
14 Mojave 3: "Bluebird of Happiness"

Notes: Collection of remix work from the German electronic shoegaze producer.

http://pitchfork.com/news/37888-new-release-ulrich-schnauss-imissing-deadlines-selected-remixesi/
<sig>

betao

« Reply #86 on: February 15, 2010, 02:33:29 am »
The new Massive Attack (Heligoland) is very meh in my opinion. It lacks the etheral/dark feel that always seems to flow so well with 3D's production. I think the album relies way too much on it's collaborations. Thus, it really sounds more like an UNKLE album than a Massive Attack album. Some tracks could really use 3D's vocals. The only song upon my first listen that grabbed my attention was Rush Minute, which actually sounds like a real Massive Attack song.

Babel, Flat of the Blade, Atlas Air, and Girl I Love You are all decent at best. Everything else is pretty forgettable.

Will still catch them live though - definitely.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 02:36:34 am by betao »

ggw

« Reply #87 on: February 16, 2010, 03:59:08 pm »
DEAD MEADOW's forthcoming THE THREE KINGS is a full-length, old-school concert movie with soundtrack. The film consists of live footage from a 2009 LA show intermingled with "vignettes that abstractly depict themes of corruption, destruction and rebirth". The band portrays the Three Kings who are silent watchers of their world.

A stunning mix of fantasy film and multi-camera live concert footage, The Three Kings overlays the transcendental experience of the band's music with film vignettes of The Three Kings at work.  The Kings look into our mortal world where each of the three human characters we play are tempted by the dark side of things and each react differently. The package consists of an album that stands alone with live material and FIVE new studio tracks and soon to be classic concert DVD.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #88 on: February 16, 2010, 05:52:56 pm »
DEAD MEADOW's forthcoming THE THREE KINGS is a full-length, old-school concert movie with soundtrack. The film consists of live footage from a 2009 LA show intermingled with "vignettes that abstractly depict themes of corruption, destruction and rebirth". The band portrays the Three Kings who are silent watchers of their world.

A stunning mix of fantasy film and multi-camera live concert footage, The Three Kings overlays the transcendental experience of the band's music with film vignettes of The Three Kings at work.  The Kings look into our mortal world where each of the three human characters we play are tempted by the dark side of things and each react differently. The package consists of an album that stands alone with live material and FIVE new studio tracks and soon to be classic concert DVD.

<sig>

azaghal1981

« Reply #89 on: February 16, 2010, 06:34:17 pm »
Carlos Giffoni - Severance

Date not listed.

Rough Trade store review:
while he'll still carry around the tag of 'noise musician' in some quarters, carlos giffoni's recent creative trajectory has seen him venture ever deeper
into the realms of more formal and austere minimalist electronic composition. severance follows on as a natural successor to 2008's adult life, prompting
comparisons to the analogue stringency of mika vainio and pan sonic at their most experimental whilst also doffing a proverbial cap to academic 20th century
synthesizer music. the album is broken up by a series of concrete miniatures, the first of these being 'severance i', which commences the disc with a kind
of industrial hacking noise, beating away belligerently until the first synthesis track blurts in with an undulating throb: 'the hermit' gathers itself
from initial strands of gnarled tonality, eventually introducing sequenced elements that install a rhythmic order. at this point giffoni enters into a
sinister, spiralling soundworld in which starkly malevolent tones hobble around like something from a '70s synth horror soundtrack before crumbling away
and dissolving into a din that sounds rather like v2 bomber drones. so far, so good. even more rhythmic is 'knife', which sculpts raw noise signals into
rudimentary 4/4 beats whilst hypnotic arpeggiating synth patterns lurch around. 'shaved arms' is more aligned with good, old fashioned drone music and
commands a masterful array of buzzing, slowly modulating rasps, sustaining and throbbing with real menace and analogue heft. the last of the long-form
pieces, 'athens', might be the most complex and ambitiously constructed of the lot, combining the various techniques demonstrated in the earlier pieces
into a visceral finished product. here, percussive traits combine with pure analogue sound design and harmonically skewed step sequencing, all building
up to a punishingly extreme climax that crosses over into all-out noise-spewing dirge. another indispensable full-length from the no fun boss.
احمد