Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3206606 times)

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #11025 on: April 08, 2022, 12:17:02 pm »
Happy to bring along some AstroLab.

Starsky

« Reply #11026 on: April 09, 2022, 11:38:18 am »
I understand that hutch makes his own too. I think there needs to be a competition.

My empanadas …. I don’t know….

Now my mom makes some fantastic ones!

Starsky

« Reply #11027 on: April 09, 2022, 11:41:46 am »
As far as beer with empanadas Quilmes has to be #1 although in Argentina people tend to drink red wine with empanadas

« Reply #11028 on: April 25, 2022, 12:49:50 pm »
DC brau is making this now
Not really sure what the Hopheiser brewing co is? Guess they just contract with dc brau to brew and can?

slack

« Reply #11029 on: April 25, 2022, 01:04:14 pm »
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #11030 on: April 25, 2022, 01:53:33 pm »
That would probably work well with empanadas.

Also: This Saturday Churckey will have Monkish cans on sale, first time ever in the DMV. As well as a number of Monkish draft selections.

They did the same with Fiden's last week. I didn't get any cans, but had a couple of their hazies on draft over two pre-concert visits Thurs and Sat. They were both fantastic. The less fantastic of the two still blew away the best Trillium hazy that was on draft for the special Trillium night they had going.

Space Freely

« Reply #11031 on: April 25, 2022, 03:59:22 pm »
Copied from someone's post on Beer Advocate

https://dc.eater.com/2022/4/22/23035552/aslin-beer-company-dc-location-logan-circle-coffee-shop-coming-soon

Logan Circle’s newest beer garden is almost here. Aslin Beer Company just announced an opening date for the Northern Virginia brewery’s highly-anticipated foray into D.C.

Get ready for the new Aslin beer garden to kick open its doors to the public on Monday, May 16 at 1740 14th Street NW. The brewery known for its psychedelic can designs and playful spirit will serve 21 Aslin draft beers. The plan is to also feature two rotating drafts from breweries across the country, and a one-barrel brewing system to create special releases that are exclusive to the Logan Circle taproom.

The D.C. location joins brewery outposts in Alexandria and Herndon, but this 14th Street spot marks the company’s big foray into coffee too. Aslin Coffee will open up early for lattes, stay open for remote work and then transition to brews and dinner over firepit with food from the onsite Bun’d Up food truck.

Aslin connected with industry vet Danielle “Dani” Moreno to head up Aslin Coffee, which will serve serve traditional espresso beverages, pour-overs, and teas. Moreno is roasting all Aslin Coffee beans to order in Virginia, and putting her own spin on coffee and tea drinks with nods to her Filipino and Mexican heritage.

Every in-house order will arrive with a pandan-flavored otap (a buttery, flaky Filipino cookie), with coffee served in custom ceramic mugs. To start out, Aslin Coffee will serve housemade syrup flavors like orange cardamom brown butter caramel and a black sesame snickerdoodle. Moreno will also whip up Vietnamese-style coffee, but with dulce de leche instead of condensed milk. Chai tea will be made fresh in-house every day, and Aslin Coffee is teaming up with Centreville’s Bôn Tea House to curate the tea selection.

Moreno’s jumped from pastry chef to wine (she’s a Level 3 Sommelier and the former general manger of now-closed natural wine bar Dio). “The real reason I got into coffee was a pride thing,” she tells Eater DC. “I was hanging out with coffee people who were in Dio and their palates were so much better than mine.” She started roasting coffee in 2018, and now will focus on “thoughtful coffee drinking” at Aslin Coffee, prioritizing positive environmental and labor practices in the coffee industry.

Aslin Coffee will be open in Logan Circle Monday through Friday from 6:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. and weekends from 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.

Architecture firm //3877 is handling the design of the 211-seat, indoor/outdoor beer garden/coffee shop, which is influenced by 1950s gas stations and auto shops. It’s fitting, since the vacant lot at the corner of 14th St. and S St. NW was once a former fueling station.

This piece of property had long been desired as a beer garden spot: Dacha Beer Garden previously faced neighborhood pushback for its plans for an outdoor water hole and instead opted to open up its sprawling Nationals Park beer garden instead.

Aslin’s corner beer garden was originally slated to open in fall 2021, and faced an arduous approval process since the site fell under the purview of not one but three Advisory Neighborhood Commissions: U Street, Dupont Circle, and Logan Circle.

Founded in 2015 by co-owners and brothers-in-law Andrew Kelley and Kai Leszkowicz, Aslin’s been growing by leaps and bounds lately. Arlington’s very ‘90s pizzeria Nighthawk Pizza opened in March with 10 Aslin beers on tap at all times.

In addition being part of that project, Aslin plans on opening its own restaurant called Izzi alongside its Herndon taproom on May 23. (Izzi will also include a branch of Aslin Coffee). Meanwhile, the brewery is heading to Pennsylvania as well with the opening of Aslin Pittsburgh this August in The Strip District.

**When Aslin DC opens at 1740 14th Street NW on May 16, its hours are slated for Monday though Thursday from 6:30 a.m. to 11 p.m., Friday from 6:30 a.m. to midnight, Saturday from 7 a.m. to midnight, and Sunday from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m.**

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #11033 on: April 27, 2022, 03:20:12 pm »
<sig>

« Reply #11034 on: April 27, 2022, 04:36:25 pm »
Bud's headquarters are less than 1000 miles from the Ukraine border
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #11035 on: April 27, 2022, 06:45:05 pm »
Bud's headquarters are less than 1000 miles from the Ukraine border

good lord, will someone think of AB's accountants?!?  i hope their basement bunkers are well stocked...
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #11036 on: April 29, 2022, 02:16:02 pm »
That nighthawk pizza looks great and very close to me
https://www.washingtonian.com/2022/03/24/a-massive-brewpub-and-pizza-garden-with-90s-vibes-opens-in-arlington/

https://www.nighthawkpizza.com/menus/drinks

I’m especially glad they have a dark mild on tap, can’t wait to go. Grand opening was last night

Any reviews on Nighthawk?

My wife is doing her quarterly dinner with her friend where she has to sit for several hours and listen to her friend complain about how horrible her life is, then talk the friend our of suicide.

I'm the lucky one, and get to hang with my cool kid. Wondering if Nighthawk is worth a visit on a Saturday evening.

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #11037 on: May 01, 2022, 11:14:44 am »
Or is that just what your wife tells you?

shemptiness

« Reply #11038 on: May 03, 2022, 03:12:29 pm »

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #11039 on: May 03, 2022, 03:13:42 pm »
Nah.  I'll be at Fells Point Fest that weekend.