Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3182333 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #2055 on: February 20, 2013, 11:43:22 am »
finally had my first hopslam last night, on draft at the iron horse.  really good DIPA, but not the best i've ever had.  i'll definitely give it another chance but it doesn't come close to unseating heady topper as my #1.  it might be in my top 5... not sure.  since this appears to be an off year, i'll withhold my verdict.

i was at the iron horse for the monthly meeting of the DC homebrewers club.  it was the annual "high gravity" meeting - everyone brought their barleywines, IIPAs/DIPAs, big belgians, imperial stouts, etc.  there was some really delicious stuff being passed around.  yes, i stumbled home.
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #2056 on: February 20, 2013, 12:03:50 pm »
I was told they started brewing it on different equipment in 2012. No idea if that could be the reason it's off, or if it was off last year as well.

I can't remember what year I first had it, but it's definitely not as good as it used to be. Same goes for Nugget Nectar, and that coincides with their brewery location move.

Or maybe it's just that nothing tastes all that amazing once you've had Heady Topper.

finally had my first hopslam last night, on draft at the iron horse.  really good DIPA, but not the best i've ever had.  i'll definitely give it another chance but it doesn't come close to unseating heady topper as my #1.  it might be in my top 5... not sure.  since this appears to be an off year, i'll withhold my verdict.

i was at the iron horse for the monthly meeting of the DC homebrewers club.  it was the annual "high gravity" meeting - everyone brought their barleywines, IIPAs/DIPAs, big belgians, imperial stouts, etc.  there was some really delicious stuff being passed around.  yes, i stumbled home.

Yada

« Reply #2057 on: February 20, 2013, 12:10:41 pm »
I was told they started brewing it on different equipment in 2012. No idea if that could be the reason it's off, or if it was off last year as well.

I can't remember what year I first had it, but it's definitely not as good as it used to be. Same goes for Nugget Nectar, and that coincides with their brewery location move.

Or maybe it's just that nothing tastes all that amazing once you've had Heady Topper.

I think it's a combo of bad quality control this year mixed with there are a just a lot much BETTER beers than Hopslam. Five years ago, it was absolutely epic... Now it's just another decent DIPA.

stevewizzle

« Reply #2058 on: February 20, 2013, 12:11:21 pm »
bummed I couldn't make it to high-gravity night.  worked till 9, and back at it 7am today...

i feel nugget nectar is more about the malt to hop balance, but that's just me.  hopslam is an assault of bitterness, and that can get old after you've tried so many hop-bombs.  wasn't someone on here saying your threshold for bitterness is decreased with the more hoppy beers you drink? makes sense.  i wonder if IPAs will soon become just your average tasting beer to beerheads.

atomicfront

« Reply #2059 on: February 20, 2013, 12:55:49 pm »
I am trying to make my first lager.  Hopefully the corner of my basement is cold enough.

James Ford

« Reply #2060 on: February 20, 2013, 01:03:37 pm »
IPA's are our session ale, i.e. the style we usually have with dinner. If my wife had her way, DIPA's would be our session ale.

bummed I couldn't make it to high-gravity night.  worked till 9, and back at it 7am today...

i feel nugget nectar is more about the malt to hop balance, but that's just me.  hopslam is an assault of bitterness, and that can get old after you've tried so many hop-bombs.  wasn't someone on here saying your threshold for bitterness is decreased with the more hoppy beers you drink? makes sense.  i wonder if IPAs will soon become just your average tasting beer to beerheads.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #2061 on: February 20, 2013, 01:14:38 pm »
Yeah, pretty much all I drink these days is IPAs - Sierra Nevada cans are my go-to right now, mixed in with Raging Bitch, Loose Cannon, and Two Hearted when I'm feeling frisky.
(o|o)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2062 on: February 20, 2013, 01:28:22 pm »
I am trying to make my first lager.  Hopefully the corner of my basement is cold enough.

a carboy sitting on my basement's cement floor settles at 57-58*F.  ideally yours is a tad cooler, since you want to be under 55*F for most lager yeasts if you want to make a true, crisp lager.

if you're above the ideal range, the beer will have more esters & other "non-clean" flavors.  you'll be making a steam beer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_beer).

do you have a fridge for lagering once fermentation is done?
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2063 on: February 20, 2013, 01:39:48 pm »
since we're on a hop kick today: over the past 2 weekend i went on a hoppy beer buying binge (in part caused by the dwindling supply of my own IPA).  in order of preference, this is what i had:

1) firestone walker's wookie jack: almost has me reconsidering the whole "black IPA" thing.  maybe it's the rye that makes it work.  or piney, woody, and touch of fruity...  gotta get me some more of that.
2) avery's maharaja: ol' dependable.
3) stone's double bastard: not your typically hoppy beer but that spicy chinook hop really scratched the itch for me.
4) bell's two-hearted ale: dunno if this was a bad batch, or it wasn't handled properly, but it didn't have the usual kick.  it was a disappointment: the "bottled on" date was less than two weeks so i was expecting an explosion of centennial... but it was lacking.  this was my first time having it in a bottle so maybe it's just better on tap.
5) lagunitas maximus: to be avoided.  the price is low and you get what you pay for.  not horrible but not particularly good either.  spend a few dollars more on something better.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 01:41:56 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>

Yada

« Reply #2064 on: February 20, 2013, 02:01:02 pm »
since we're on a hop kick today: over the past 2 weekend i went on a hoppy beer buying binge (in part caused by the dwindling supply of my own IPA).  in order of preference, this is what i had:

1) firestone walker's wookie jack: almost has me reconsidering the whole "black IPA" thing.  maybe it's the rye that makes it work.  or piney, woody, and touch of fruity...  gotta get me some more of that.
2) avery's maharaja: ol' dependable.
3) stone's double bastard: not your typically hoppy beer but that spicy chinook hop really scratched the itch for me.
4) bell's two-hearted ale: dunno if this was a bad batch, or it wasn't handled properly, but it didn't have the usual kick.  it was a disappointment: the "bottled on" date was less than two weeks so i was expecting an explosion of centennial... but it was lacking.  this was my first time having it in a bottle so maybe it's just better on tap.
5) lagunitas maximus: to be avoided.  the price is low and you get what you pay for.  not horrible but not particularly good either.  spend a few dollars more on something better.

damn, first bottle of two hearted? I went through a small porter/stoudt run this winter, but basically all I want to drink are IPAs

atomicfront

« Reply #2065 on: February 20, 2013, 02:32:06 pm »

a carboy sitting on my basement's cement floor settles at 57-58*F.  ideally yours is a tad cooler, since you want to be under 55*F for most lager yeasts if you want to make a true, crisp lager.

if you're above the ideal range, the beer will have more esters & other "non-clean" flavors.  you'll be making a steam beer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_beer).

do you have a fridge for lagering once fermentation is done?

I am using Saflager S-23 yeast which states 51 to 59 degrees.  Hopefully it turns out Ok.  it is interesting article about the Steam Beer.  I see some lagers yeast have to be around 48 degree range.  How do you get a fridge that keeps a beer at that temperature. 

When I get back from vacation I am going to try my hand at all grain brewing. 

atomicfront

« Reply #2066 on: February 20, 2013, 02:33:59 pm »
http://flyingdogales.com/blog/brewery-news/

Girl Scout cookie and beer pairings.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #2067 on: February 20, 2013, 02:35:05 pm »
You boys can keep your heavy hops! YUCK!!!

Had a couple Heavy Seas Peg Legs last week which I really liked. Nothing to gush over but an all around good tasting and easy to drink beer.

slappy

atomicfront

« Reply #2069 on: February 20, 2013, 03:03:21 pm »
You boys can keep your heavy hops! YUCK!!!

I am not a fan of beers with a lot of Hops.  I now feel that drinking an IPA is the same thing as eating salted Cod.  We have refrigerators now we don't have to ruin the flavor of food and drinks by preserving them by putting too much salt or hops in them.