Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3213993 times)

Space Freely

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #8610 on: December 20, 2017, 05:26:53 pm »
An epic beer day for the Freely family yesterday in Richmond.

An early lunch at Mekong had us drinking before noon. We shared Knee Deep Simtra Triple IPA, The Bruery Sour in the Rye, and Oskar Blues BA Ten Fidy.

Then a 2.5 hour break at the Science Museum (highly recommended), and back to more beer drinking.

Next up, a stop at Hardywood. There I had a Kentucky Christmas Morning (the bourbon/coffee version of Gingerbread Stout), which was great. My wife had Rum GBS, tasted like a rum and Coke, not really my thing. They also had some great tunes playing (Iggy and the Stooges and some other stuff of that ilk) and it was warm enough to sit outside. Great to be at Hardywood when it wasn't packed with people.

And finally a stop at the Veil. Where unfortunately we stood in line for two+ hours to get cans, and they did the line on the sidewalk instead of the usual parking lot, so no drinking in line. But fortunately, we were able to trade off, and in that time span shared a raspberry gose, a triple IPA, and a double IPA with maple. Sorry, too lazy to look up the names. Got all the cans we wanted. Even better, I ran into Yada! Even betterer, we won one of the food truck raffles and got a free can.

« Reply #8611 on: December 20, 2017, 05:35:04 pm »
dang and you guys didn't call jules for a bordie meetup

I've been meaning to mention another VA brewery producing a delicious beer
Benchtop breweing out of Norfolk.
The proven theory IPA was awesome

I've really been enjoying the Three Notch'd/oskar colab Black & Goldings Ale
Hop Luck by Offshoot  and Peak Oil by Magnify were two recent finds that was worth mentioning
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #8612 on: December 20, 2017, 05:44:04 pm »
dang and you guys didn't call jules for a bordie meetup

I've been meaning to mention another VA brewery producing a delicious beer
Benchtop breweing out of Norfolk.
The proven theory IPA was awesome

I've really been enjoying the Three Notch'd/oskar colab Black & Goldings Ale
Hop Luck by Offshoot  and Peak Oil by Magnify were two recent finds that was worth mentioning

Julian has previously graciously reached out and offered a meet up, but to be honest my wife doesn't want to meet Julian because of the way he picks on women with weight issues.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #8613 on: December 20, 2017, 05:48:40 pm »
Julian has previously graciously reached out and offered a meet up,
Can confirm.

but to be honest my wife doesn't want to meet Julian
Cannot confirm.

the way he picks on womenpeople, gender in-specific, with weight issues.
Can confirm with the above alteration.
LVMH

Yada

« Reply #8614 on: December 20, 2017, 05:56:37 pm »

An early lunch at Mekong had us drinking before noon. We shared Knee Deep Simtra Triple IPA, The Bruery Sour in the Rye, and Oskar Blues BA Ten Fidy.

I ran into Yada!

Can confirm.

Can also confirm Space hasn't had a haircut during the Trump administration.

Additionally, why on earth weren't you drinkin' some of the andalls? Cash Me Outside may be my favorite stout ever!

I spent way too much money in Richmond yesterday, that is for sure... and that line was for the birds!

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #8615 on: December 20, 2017, 06:14:42 pm »

Space Freely

« Reply #8616 on: December 20, 2017, 07:01:04 pm »
#spacehumblebrag

If you go, let us know your favorites. I loved that Sprechen Sie Deutsch stout. I bought three cans, but wish i had gotten more.

« Reply #8617 on: December 20, 2017, 08:12:33 pm »
#spacehumblebrag

If you go, let us know your favorites. I loved that Sprechen Sie Deutsch stout. I bought three cans, but wish i had gotten more.
Was a great time
Got to chat with Andrew Kelly and he recommended SSD
Man that was good...like a chocolate cake in a glass
Also the neutrino he said was kegged 4 hours ago
His feeling was that the the hoppy NE IPAs are best around 20 to 45 days

Almost all the Aslin kegs we're kicked by 7

Looking like the tasting room will open in February
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 08:14:35 pm by Brother Love Hatch🚀🚀🚀🚀 »
slack

walkonbyeeeeeeeee

« Reply #8618 on: December 23, 2017, 01:15:52 pm »
I hate, stouts . . . I really do.  please, baby jesus, make super dark beers go away, and erase the history of the person who invented the idea of mixing coffee with dark beer.

but, last night, after a glorious bottle of Laertus from Pen Druid . . . I decided to break down an open my lone bottle of 2015 BCBS.  It opened fine, without the fizzing disaster of the bad batches.  GUUUURRRLLLL, that shit was the bomb.  Boozy boozhound with booze on top.  Loved it.  But, have no desire, to try again.

The, end.

walkonbyeeeeeeeee

« Reply #8619 on: December 25, 2017, 04:49:34 pm »
merry jesus day, every,one.  anybody doing some nice beers for the day?

I am doing, a Cascade Sang Du Chene  and my man, a Perennial Abraxas.  And maybe a lagunitas brown sugga or two.  why not . . . where am I going?

followed by some bubbly for the both of us.  We love Gruet, Rose.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #8620 on: December 25, 2017, 07:15:49 pm »
Nothing fancy - just everyday selections. Sixpoint IIPA, The Calling, Stone Go To. Maybe a negroni later on.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #8621 on: December 25, 2017, 09:53:18 pm »
The Answer today.

Decided to empty my beer fridge (as i did last year) but this time stick to brown liquor and the occasional wine for a while afterwards. Beer'd myself out this year.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #8622 on: January 04, 2018, 01:48:13 am »
in case you're looking for a different kind of beer event, and/or are interested in learning a little about homebrewing, check out the event below.  and by law homebrew can't be sold so there will be a lot of free beer...

DC Homebrewers 10th Anniversary
When: Sunday, January 14
Where: Right Proper Brewing www.rightproperbrewing.com

Nathan Zeender was once this city’s hot shot homebrewer. Now, he makes his beers on a much larger scale as the head brewer at one of the region’s best breweries, Right Proper. Still, Zeender hasn’t forgotten the mean streets of carboys and overstuffed garages that birthed him, and on January 14, Right Proper’s Brookland Production House will host the tenth birthday party for the DC Homebrewers Club.

The big ticket item: The event will serve as the debut for Harmonium, a collaboration between Right Proper and the DC Homebrewers Club. Clocking in at a whopping 4%, this Berliner Weisse was dry-hopped with Galaxy, Motueka, and Mosaic. If you’ve had Diamonds, Fur Coats, Champagne or any of its seasonal siblings, you are already familiar with Zeender’s prowess with dry-hopped Berliners, so it will be interesting to see how he and the homebrewers tweak that formula.

According to the press release, “DC Homebrewers will also have a homebrewed anniversary beer blend, plus previous anniversary beers available, and our usual assortment of delicious homebrews that everyone brings.” Cool, cool, cool.

If you can’t make the shindig, look for Harmonium around town in the weeks to follow.

(from https://brightestyoungthings.com/articles/draft-picks-januarys-best-beer-events-2)
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #8623 on: January 11, 2018, 09:41:13 pm »
next time you're in Vermont and feel the need for something else, head north:

Wild, Wild Beer
Québec breweries are creating Canada’s wildest beers.
<sig>

walkonbyeeeeeeeee

« Reply #8624 on: January 11, 2018, 10:46:49 pm »
Abraxas, in bottle . . . Ok.

Abraxas, in growler, so much more destruction of flavor on my tongue. That, Mexican chocolate taste, yo.