Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3182222 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #9900 on: May 28, 2020, 07:16:29 pm »
Plant based bottles?

although I bet aluminum is cheaper and more environmentally friendly

i'm betting aluminium is cheaper for now, but it shouldn't be hard to beat once paper bottles scale up.  making aluminium is incredibly energy intensive. the ore (bauxite) needs to be shipped around the world, increasing its enviro impact on top of the fact that it isn't biodegradable (but does have a plastic lining, and sometimes a plastic outer layer/wrapper).  i can see plant-based bottles being both cheaper and more enviro than Al.

what i'm scratching my head about is that this initiative's aim is to develop an alternative to plastic bottles.  beer isn't packaged in plastic.  so i'm was a bit confused why Carlsberg was part of this story... but whatever, good for them.
<sig>

WALKonBack

« Reply #9901 on: May 28, 2020, 08:50:57 pm »
I can't wait until everything is plant based, and then we run out of plants, and then everything has to be made out of seashells, and then we run out of seashells, and then everything has to be made out of plastic again.

Bagley

« Reply #9902 on: June 08, 2020, 03:45:32 pm »
had the pleasure of some Aslin Master of Oranges cans over the weekend--excellent

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #9903 on: June 08, 2020, 03:54:38 pm »
Oooh that reminds me.  I gotta pick up my Other Half Triple Broccoli!

Space Freely

« Reply #9904 on: June 08, 2020, 04:57:40 pm »
I had my first can of Other Half's Do You Want More? the other day. Someone referred to it on Beer Advocate as "the best OH sour IPA." I'm not going to argue, it's the only one I've had.

The answer to the question is yes. I wish they'd brew this style more, and i want more.

Space Freely

« Reply #9905 on: June 08, 2020, 05:00:41 pm »
Anybody familiar with Mortalis Brewing? Nearly as high of an untappd overall score as Tree House (4.34 vs. 4.36) and higher than Other Half (4.24)

https://untappd.com/MortalisBrewingCompany

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #9906 on: June 08, 2020, 08:23:49 pm »
I’ve had As Above So Below. Good stuff.

But that it.

WALKonBack

« Reply #9907 on: June 08, 2020, 09:21:04 pm »
My local, beer store closed. Sad.  Now I don't know anything about the latest crazes, and have to shop at Food Lion.

Look, it up . . . city slickers.

« Reply #9908 on: June 30, 2020, 03:16:07 pm »
Do you think this tastes better than their flagship product?
slack

« Reply #9909 on: July 01, 2020, 12:15:37 pm »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CCGp5FPpdnb
watch the vid...over 300 galons a minute through a 4 inch port

Think you are having a bad day? Well our newest beer in the works Major Nelson IPA just got a bit more limited.
We had 2 full 40bbl tanks fermenting for a mid-July can release (our first hazy juicy flaked oat IPA to distribution). Well now it is one tank...

Just a touch too much dry hop too fast in the fermentation set it off. Co2 outgassed and as you can see it didn't take long to lose one of our most expensive beers to make.

slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #9910 on: July 01, 2020, 01:54:23 pm »
^ OUCH.  citra, nelson and mosaic - three of the most expensive hops.  yeah, that's going to hurt the bottom line.

in case you're wondering what the hell is going on here: during and after fermentation the beer is carbonated - usually it's only a light carbonation, but depending on process the carbonation can be quite high.  one of the things keeping a gas in liquid solution is its diffusion: individual CO2 molecules are insignificant on their own, they need to join together to form a bubble before it will rise.  this happens very slowly on a smooth surface (like glass), and much faster on uneven or rough surfaces.  such bubble-producing roughness is called a nucleation point - some fancy beer glasses have them etched into the bottom of the glass to enhance CO2 release (which in turn carries the aroma).  adding dry-hops to a carbonated beer = addition of a LOT of nucleation points.  the process can create a chain reaction: bubbles form and rise, pushing non-bound CO2 together with other unbound CO2, creating more bubbles, etc.  whoever dry-hopped that beer did so too quickly (and/or the beer was way too carbonated, should have bled some pressure off first).
<sig>

« Reply #9911 on: July 10, 2020, 02:03:32 pm »

closure of Mad Fox Brewing Company. Our last day of business will be Sunday, July 21st.
\\We are PUTTING THE BAND BACK TOGETHER! In honor of what would have been the Ten Year Anniversary of Mad Fox, we are teaming up with some of the Mad Fox team that made it so great. Stay tuned for an all Citra hopped East Coast style IPA coming soon! It may seem a little familiar to you... 😉🍻😎 @ Fair Winds Brewing Company
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #9912 on: July 13, 2020, 01:20:59 pm »
my sister-in-law drove up from california for the weekend (no worries, she got tested before coming up).  she knows me enough that she brought me a bottle of Pliny - wo0t!  it was a completely unexpected surprise, and a lovely one at that - haven't had Pliny in over two years so i was ready to tuck into that simcoe sauce... until i flipped the bottle over and read "bottled on: 18 Feb 2018."  insert sad trombone sfx.

i drank it just to see what it was like, and it was pretty awful.  tasted exactly like what a old, oxidized IPA should taste like.  darn.  the end.
<sig>

« Reply #9913 on: July 13, 2020, 01:33:56 pm »
I remember the local Whole Foods in SF used to get Russian river stuff pretty regularly and it was fresh
that is a bummer on what looked like an awesome gift
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #9914 on: July 13, 2020, 01:37:27 pm »
my sister-in-law drove up from california for the weekend (no worries, she got tested before coming up).  she knows me enough that she brought me a bottle of Pliny - wo0t!  it was a completely unexpected surprise, and a lovely one at that - haven't had Pliny in over two years so i was ready to tuck into that simcoe sauce... until i flipped the bottle over and read "bottled on: 18 Feb 2018."  insert sad trombone sfx.

i drank it just to see what it was like, and it was pretty awful.  tasted exactly like what a old, oxidized IPA should taste like.  darn.  the end.

Some people call that a barleywine.