Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3182140 times)

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #615 on: September 22, 2011, 10:07:54 am »
^ Ha ha. I told you I'm not a beer person. Dogfish would make me sick if I had to finish a whole bottle. Lots of beers are like that to me. Not sure exactly what it is. The hops maybe? Something in the brewing process? Landshark and Corona are super easy for me to drink but even I can't help but wonder where the beer is in their products. For me, it's about whether or not I can stomach the beer, then select by taste. Seriously limits the quality of my very short acceptable list.

I prefer a thick creamy and sweet stout when going dark. Which would you suggest? I've had a few others but tend to go back to Guinness providing it's on draft. The cans and bottles are barely even worth cooking with. Shame they can't properly preserve that quality in a packaged good.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #616 on: September 22, 2011, 10:34:16 am »

Come celebrate Oktoberfest in style with free beer at DC?s St. Pauli Girl competition!  SEPTEMBER 22

Are you ready for DC?s St. Pauli Girl competition? Come cheer on the contestants and help us crown DC?s St. Pauli Girl as they compete for $700 in cash prizes based on best costume, German accents and beer pouring ability! RSVP for the event, but act quickly as space is limited to the first 100 people. Plus, those who RSVP will get a free beer courtesy of St. Pauli Girl, Biergarten Haus and On Tap Magazine!

You can walk away a winner too! A 50/50 raffle will be held during the event to benefit the Perry Center, Inc. One ticket for $5 or three for $10.

RSVP NOW » http://www.ontaponline.com/stpauli/
Must be 21+

Biergarten Haus
1355 H St. NE
Washington, DC 20002

DATE: Thursday, Sep 22
TIME: 7:30 PM
 (rain date: Sep 29)
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #617 on: September 22, 2011, 10:52:35 am »
Hmmm...anybody else have some ideas on this?

Limiting myself to stouts which aren't overly hoppy, are sweet-ish, aren't overly high in alcohol (ala Guinness), and are available locally, Id say:

Bells Double Cream Stout or Bells Kalamazoo Stout
Rogue Chocolate Stout or Rogue Shakespeare Stout

or maybe even a porter, like

Founders Porter
Smuttynose Robust Porter

or, sticking within geographic proximity to Guinness

Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout
Young's Double Chocolate Stout

Heck, even Stockyard Stout at $5.99/ sic pack from Trader Joes (actually brewed by Goose Island I think) is pretty good.

I prefer a thick creamy and sweet stout when going dark. Which would you suggest? I've had a few others but tend to go back to Guinness providing it's on draft. The cans and bottles are barely even worth cooking with. Shame they can't properly preserve that quality in a packaged good.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #618 on: September 22, 2011, 10:59:13 am »
I recommend Meantime London Porter, or Stout if you must.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #619 on: September 22, 2011, 11:32:53 am »
Thanks for the suggestions you two. Will try to keep those in mind as I'd like to try them.

Had a London Stout once and kind of liked it but still think the Irish do it better. Then again, it was bottled which might be an unfair comparison to a Guinness on draft.

All of those sound good. Generally, it's not the alcohol content that seems to bother me. Something else within the brews of most beers. I don't like containers over 16 ozs either. By the time I get that low in the drink, it all gets too flat, warm and nasty.

The Trader Joe's and Wegmans thing is a big tease for me. Neither of those stores anywhere around here and, due to effed up Maryland liquor laws, I can't buy them when I'm in town visiting family. Of course, I do go to both those stores to stock up on food and other products they offer. Better selections and prices.

Have to go off to work and hope to see a few more suggestions when I get back.

There was some German beer that I really liked a whole lot that I had at the House Of Europe (or whatever it's called) in Tenly Town (I think) on Wisconsin Ave.. Think it started with a B. Biersomethingorother maybe. It was a very nice creamy lighter ale.

Cheers.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #620 on: September 22, 2011, 01:22:27 pm »
Any bars in DC serving hard ciders?
(_|_)

James Ford

« Reply #621 on: September 22, 2011, 01:30:04 pm »
ChurchKey currently has that Clutch beer. $6.50 for a 13 oz pour.

slappy

« Reply #622 on: September 22, 2011, 07:47:37 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions you two. Will try to keep those in mind as I'd like to try them.

Had a London Stout once and kind of liked it but still think the Irish do it better. Then again, it was bottled which might be an unfair comparison to a Guinness on draft.

All of those sound good. Generally, it's not the alcohol content that seems to bother me. Something else within the brews of most beers. I don't like containers over 16 ozs either. By the time I get that low in the drink, it all gets too flat, warm and nasty.

The Trader Joe's and Wegmans thing is a big tease for me. Neither of those stores anywhere around here and, due to effed up Maryland liquor laws, I can't buy them when I'm in town visiting family. Of course, I do go to both those stores to stock up on food and other products they offer. Better selections and prices.

Have to go off to work and hope to see a few more suggestions when I get back.

There was some German beer that I really liked a whole lot that I had at the House Of Europe (or whatever it's called) in Tenly Town (I think) on Wisconsin Ave.. Think it started with a B. Biersomethingorother maybe. It was a very nice creamy lighter ale.

Cheers.

If you like a stout on the sweet side try a milk stout.
Regionally Duck+Rabbit Milk Stout would be my pick. Not too hard to find.
Also Williamsburg AleWerks Coffeehouse Stout is tasty.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #623 on: September 23, 2011, 07:25:04 pm »
currently enjoying an Odell's IPA here in boulder, CO (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/267/35626).  i'm a noted non-fan of IPAs but this one is damn tasty - prolly because it doesn't really taste like a typical IPA.  there are some fun spice flavors in there. 

any other beers or (preferably) breweries i need to check out while i'm here?
<sig>

Yada

« Reply #624 on: September 24, 2011, 11:57:33 am »
currently enjoying an Odell's IPA here in boulder, CO (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/267/35626).  i'm a noted non-fan of IPAs but this one is damn tasty - prolly because it doesn't really taste like a typical IPA.  there are some fun spice flavors in there. 

Avery and Great Divide.

James Ford

« Reply #625 on: September 24, 2011, 12:44:33 pm »
Those are the two I'd name as well.

Still kicking myself for jogging by the Great Divide tasting room twice and not stopping in. Though I was less into beer then.

Oskar Blues is another Colorado favorite as well.

And check oiut the Cheeky Monk in Denver. Great Belgian beer bar. Though I hot food poisoning from the out of season mussels I had there.

Avery and Great Divide.

Yada

« Reply #626 on: September 24, 2011, 03:12:29 pm »
Those are the two I'd name as well.

Still kicking myself for jogging by the Great Divide tasting room twice and not stopping in. Though I was less into beer then.

Oskar Blues is another Colorado favorite as well.

And check oiut the Cheeky Monk in Denver. Great Belgian beer bar. Though I hot food poisoning from the out of season mussels I had there.

Avery and Great Divide.

Mussels + Middle America don't mix.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #627 on: September 24, 2011, 06:30:05 pm »
had Great Divide's Hades (a belgian ale). goddam tastiest thing i've had in a while.

<sig>

Unsanity

« Reply #628 on: September 25, 2011, 04:25:06 am »
Before Kyuss Lives! I hit up the Church key and was impressed. It was nice to have Clutch on tap. Thanks for the heads up James Ford.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #629 on: September 26, 2011, 09:49:39 am »
My absolute favorite IPA comes from Colorado - Breckenridge Small Batch 471 DIPA.  YUM!