Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3181707 times)

Yada

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #1155 on: March 06, 2012, 01:56:42 pm »
today is my birthday . . . and i am getting so fucking drunk today . . .  starting now.  oh hell yeah!!!

plus, before i lapse into a hop induced coma . . . i don't get the bells hopslam.  and no this is not a rage of someone who did not get it.  yes i did not get it this year.  barely missed out.  oh well.  but i have tried four other bells beers; three of which were bad; one of which was down right shit; with the fourth being average at best (amber / best brown / winter white / oberon).  so is the hopslam really worth the hype.  i don't believe written reviews, only people i can speak with who have drank it.  i just can't buy that it is good . . . but what do i know; i used to think mickey's big mouth beer was the shit.

$25 a six pack good, questionable... Good, yes.... However, my love of Bells other than Two Hearted Ale has gone down the tubes as of late. They really don't put that great of beer other than Hopslam/Two hearted IMO.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #1156 on: March 06, 2012, 02:21:15 pm »
today is my birthday . . . and i am getting so fucking drunk today . . .  starting now.  oh hell yeah!!!

plus, before i lapse into a hop induced coma . . . i don't get the bells hopslam.  and no this is not a rage of someone who did not get it.  yes i did not get it this year.  barely missed out.  oh well.  but i have tried four other bells beers; three of which were bad; one of which was down right shit; with the fourth being average at best (amber / best brown / winter white / oberon).  so is the hopslam really worth the hype.  i don't believe written reviews, only people i can speak with who have drank it.  i just can't buy that it is good . . . but what do i know; i used to think mickey's big mouth beer was the shit.

$25 a six pack good, questionable... Good, yes.... However, my love of Bells other than Two Hearted Ale has gone down the tubes as of late. They really don't put that great of beer other than Hopslam/Two hearted IMO.

Hopslam is not worth $25.  It is a decent annual treat, but I couldn't/wouldn't drink it all the time.  Two Hearted is one of my go-tos.  I have 5/6ths of a sixer of Bells Kalamazoo Stout, still in my beer fridge.  Stuff is nearly undrinkable.

James Ford

« Reply #1157 on: March 06, 2012, 02:22:34 pm »
Totally agree with Yada, though I'll add the Double Cream Stout as being good.

I recently had a bottle of the Expedition Imperial Stout, and it was meh. Maybe because i sat on it for a year and a half, but from what i had read that one was supposed to get better with age.

And the  $12 i paid  for Nugget Nectar six pack makes the $20 I paid for Hopslam seem like a ripoff. Still, glad i got a sixer of hopslam. And regarding hopslam: drink it quick. Just had a bottom fro mthe late January batch the other day and it's already fading badly.

imbecile

« Reply #1158 on: March 06, 2012, 02:51:32 pm »
Totally agree with Yada, though I'll add the Double Cream Stout as being good.

I recently had a bottle of the Expedition Imperial Stout, and it was meh. Maybe because i sat on it for a year and a half, but from what i had read that one was supposed to get better with age.

And the  $12 i paid  for Nugget Nectar six pack makes the $20 I paid for Hopslam seem like a ripoff. Still, glad i got a sixer of hopslam. And regarding hopslam: drink it quick. Just had a bottom fro mthe late January batch the other day and it's already fading badly.

Amber, Winter White, and Oberon just aren't very good.  A lot of people love Oberon, but I've never been a fan and I'm a huge Bell's fan.  Best Brown, i happen to really like, but that's with tempered expectations, it's just a brown ale.. nothing special, but I do think it's a solid brown ale, actually one of my favorites.

I think Bell's wheel house really is in their limited/seasonal release stuff.  Outside of Two Hearted, their year round lineup doesn't have anything that great, but I wouldn't call any of it bad; for my money they're easily a top two or three brewery with a solid lineup, but that is leaning on their seasonal offerings.

But if you haven't had anything you liked, try Hopslam (not at $25 though), Double Cream Stout, or two hearted.  I've never seen the Oracle (DIPA) in these parts, but it's really good as well.  Also, if you need a winter/christmas beer.. go for their Christmas Ale, way better than Winter White is admittedly quite boring.  Bell's definitely makes good beer, give them another shot.. and then proceed with hating them if they don't live up to it.

Yada

« Reply #1159 on: March 06, 2012, 03:19:26 pm »

Hopslam is not worth $25.  It is a decent annual treat, but I couldn't/wouldn't drink it all the time.  Two Hearted is one of my go-tos.  I have 5/6ths of a sixer of Bells Kalamazoo Stout, still in my beer fridge.  Stuff is nearly undrinkable.

I agree... that Stoudt is just plain awful.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #1160 on: March 06, 2012, 04:26:31 pm »
http://www.foundersbrewing.com/the-lineup/kbs

not even going to try for this . . . the demand out here is ravenous.  growing tired of beer fanantics ruining my fanaticism!

http://bites.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/03/01/10550126-the-beer-diet-exists-and-its-a-bad-idea

here, have a laugh on me.

Lazer Guided Melodies

« Reply #1161 on: March 06, 2012, 05:10:00 pm »
Enjoyed one of these last night:  http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/25191/75707

I cannot wait till he moves the brewery to within biking distance of me.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #1162 on: March 06, 2012, 05:59:36 pm »
not even going to try for this . . . the demand out here is ravenous.  growing tired of beer fanantics ruining my fanaticism!

Would love to try the stuff.  Will have to keep waiting, unfortunately.

James Ford

« Reply #1163 on: March 07, 2012, 12:14:11 pm »
Maharaja replaced by Hopslam

So that means $4 drafts of Hopslam, Sculpin, and Ruination at happy hour today.

Wow, quite an IPA lineup at Dupont Pizza Paradiso for half price happy hour tonight.

Ballast Point Sculpin
Stone Ruination
Avery Maharaja
DC Brau Amageddon

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #1164 on: March 07, 2012, 12:16:15 pm »
i better quit all this taking it in the ass, and get up there!   ;D

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #1165 on: March 07, 2012, 08:49:57 pm »
was driving by one of my local beeer shopazoids, and did not really need to stop, but did anyway.  was proud that i only bought two things but they were both new to me, so it was good.

dogfish head   burton baton

sneaky pete   ipa  (the dog on the bottle is so cute)

can someone . . . gee i wonder who . . . please inform me on the proper storage times (in months) according to alcohol %, say from nine percent to thirteen percent?  thanks!

James Ford

« Reply #1166 on: March 07, 2012, 09:56:26 pm »
Store 9-13 abv as long as you want, as long as it's not a hoppy ipa.

Burton Baton is an outstanding beer, and though it is an ipa, is not really a hop forward one, so they (Dogfish, I read a message board thread posted by Sam's wife) say it's a good one to age.

Side note on Burton Baton: Jon Langford of the Mekons and the Waco Brothers did the bottle art.

was driving by one of my local beeer shopazoids, and did not really need to stop, but did anyway.  was proud that i only bought two things but they were both new to me, so it was good.

dogfish head   burton baton

sneaky pete   ipa  (the dog on the bottle is so cute)

can someone . . . gee i wonder who . . . please inform me on the proper storage times (in months) according to alcohol %, say from nine percent to thirteen percent?  thanks!

K8teebug

« Reply #1167 on: March 08, 2012, 10:15:11 am »
frisco Grille in columbia is going to start brewing soon.  They always have a good selection, so hopefully their beer will be great!

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #1168 on: March 10, 2012, 06:28:17 pm »
http://www.foundersbrewing.com/blog/beer-releases/kbs-release-party

kbs release makes some beer fans hate founders brewery.

James Ford

« Reply #1169 on: March 10, 2012, 11:42:48 pm »
from the beer advocate boards:

TapeDeck said: ↑

I blame myself for not getting KBS, as I got there at 6:30. I assumed that would be early enough (4.5 hours early)
 I was right. It would have been, we're I one of the other 6:30 groups... We were at the doors when they ran out. We were in the first 10 to fail.
Lot's of line jumping.
 That's life. That's a bummer.

However,

I am totally done with Founders. That will save me hundreds.
 They wait until 15 minutes before open, to hand out tickets.
This is intentional. They had guys coming and checking out the line.

They could have saved a few hundred people a whole day of standing out in freezing weather and whipping wind by handing out the tickets once the line reached an obvious capacity.
At 6:30, we were in front of the brewery, and the line wrapped all the way around. By 7 it had overlapped.
 We could see this. They could see this. We waited 4 hours because we road tripped 4 hours to get there. When they passed out tickets (over 600) we were about 20 behind the last ticket.

Again, missing out is our fault, not theirs.
 But they knew they couldn't support the demand, and they let people stand out there without a heads up for at least 5 hours before giving out any word.

By that time, we decided we were pot committed, and waited it out.

We wouldn't have made the road trip for 3 4 packs.
 We wouldn't wait outside overnight for this beer (it's great. But there are plenty of great bbl options right now, and a few I like more.)
 It's not laziness to try to make a considered decision on when to arrive for a beer. And again, not Founders fault that we missed it.

But for cutting the allotment (more or less invalidating the purpose of the trip... If I want to add $100 in gas to the cost of the beer, I know I can get 3 4 packs) and for watching from the rooftop (literally) and walking the grounds, knowing that most of these folks are screwed... And saying NOTHING...

THAT makes it one less craft brew for me. Yay, more for you guys. Enjoy the hype train.

http://www.foundersbrewing.com/blog/beer-releases/kbs-release-party

kbs release makes some beer fans hate founders brewery.