Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3171077 times)

hutch

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #2265 on: March 29, 2013, 10:20:45 am »
really?  that sucks, they supposedly had ZD last night.  bummer.

i'll be at the 930 tonight.  hopefully they have some interesting offerings.

edit: some well-rated choices that i'll be checking out: Daisy Cutter, CoCoNut Porter, Anti-Hero IPA
http://flyingdogbrewery.com/landing-pages/festival-de-cans/

They have it at the Gtown location, I'm hoping there's a hidden keg of it there. :)

suggestion: get there early.  my brew-buddy was at the CK event last night and just wrote to me:

So last night I head down to Churchkey, arriving 45 minutes after they open. Stand in line for 20-30 minutes. Get in and they are COMPLETELY sold out of Zombie Dust and for that matter all 6 or so of the Three Floyds beers they advertised. That is freaking insanity!! I knew I should have been there when they opened the door...sigh!

yup it was crazy - I went - left work early and got there at 3.30 - my buddy was a few minutes before me so we were 10th in line and chatting to some very nice north carolinians while we waited for 4pm. byt the time 4 rolled around there were at least 150 people in line

we got great bar seats and mainly did 4oz pours which really seemed like a great value as my tab was only $30

tried fiscal cliff, zombie dust, dreadnaught, artic panzer, redeemer, i cannot tell a rye, anti hero, toxic sludge, sexual chocolate and cask event horizon - yum

I walked by on 14th street... the line was huge

Unsanity

« Reply #2266 on: March 30, 2013, 03:42:31 am »
Churchkey last night was fairly packed as usual. Tried a few beers like Avery Brewing's Immitis which I really really liked. and New Belgium's Ooh La La! which is a Raspberry fruit beer. That one was ok but way too sweet I think. I had some other beer from Nebraska of all places and it was fairly good.

Black Cat Pig Destroyer concert was up next and I got to try Three Floyds Permanent Funeral Pale Ale. Now that is one fine beer! at 10.5% it was quite the party starter haha.

stevewizzle

« Reply #2267 on: March 30, 2013, 11:30:16 am »
capped the week off with jack rose epic takeover and meridian pint local night.

epic's elder brett was delicious and some absolutely wonderful beers at meridian, including:
lost rhino facebreaker ipa
dc brau otwoa
beggers & thieves anti-imperial rye lager

James Ford

« Reply #2268 on: April 01, 2013, 02:39:09 pm »
I'll have to add that to my August roadtrip that already includes Troegs, Ommegang, Dieu de Ciel, Hill Farmstead, the Alchemist and last and probably least, the Olde Saratoga Brewery.

Speaking of Saratoga, have you been to either Druthers or Henry Street Taproom? Both appear to have opened since the last time I was up there.

Wow, so Shmaltz Brewing (He'Brew/Coney Island) is opening up their own brewery and tasting room in Upstate New York, and it's a stone's throw from my parent's house! Scheduled to open in July.

http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/shmaltz-brewing-company-opens-50-barrel-brewery-with-20-000-barrels-of-capacity-in-upstate-new-york.77515/

James Ford

« Reply #2269 on: April 01, 2013, 02:57:19 pm »
It seems that Total Wine got KBS today. With a one 12 oz bottle ($6) limit per customer, it hardly seems worth the drive.

What happened to Founders announcement that they were going to make four times as much of the stuff and it was going to be $11 a four pack or something to that effect?

atomicfront

« Reply #2270 on: April 01, 2013, 11:01:54 pm »
The Lager I made actually turned out pretty well.  I think I might go into making lager's exclusively. 

moeszyslak

« Reply #2271 on: April 02, 2013, 08:36:13 am »
I was going to be so upset if this was an April Fools joke.  I stopped by on my way home and got one!  Thanks for the heads up.

It seems that Total Wine got KBS today. With a one 12 oz bottle ($6) limit per customer, it hardly seems worth the drive.

What happened to Founders announcement that they were going to make four times as much of the stuff and it was going to be $11 a four pack or something to that effect?

James Ford

« Reply #2272 on: April 02, 2013, 08:41:32 am »
Yeah, that would have been harsh. I had one on draft at Churckkey last night, was outstanding. When I drink one, kind of makes me think that almost any other stout is a waste of calories.

I know of another place in NOVA-Fairfax County that is tapping a keg Thursday, not sure if i can make it though.

I was going to be so upset if this was an April Fools joke.  I stopped by on my way home and got one!  Thanks for the heads up.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 08:44:52 am by James Ford »

Yada

« Reply #2273 on: April 02, 2013, 03:00:37 pm »
Yeah, that would have been harsh. I had one on draft at Churckkey last night, was outstanding. When I drink one, kind of makes me think that almost any other stout is a waste of calories.

I know of another place in NOVA-Fairfax County that is tapping a keg Thursday, not sure if i can make it though.

I way overpaid for a four pack at Rodmans. Two bottle limit, but had a co-worker with me.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2274 on: April 02, 2013, 03:26:39 pm »

maybe the stores are still charging high prices because they know they can get away with it?  or, more likely, that capacity isn't online yet... dammit.

edit: a quick google search indicated that the new capacity has been dedicated to Imperial Stout, Curmudgeon Old Ale and Backwoods Bastard - not BS/KBS.  i remember that "cheaper KBS" news story too, but maybe they've changed their minds.  insert walkies' rant here:

I way overpaid for a four pack at Rodmans. Two bottle limit, but had a co-worker with me.

yikes... how bad?

and since we're talking about Founders: here is their release schedule for 2013: http://www.examiner.com/article/founders-brewing-company-releases-2013-schedule (or http://foundersbrewing.com/latest-news/2013/doom-is-our-next-backstage-series-release/).  gonna hafta track down some Doom.
<sig>

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #2275 on: April 02, 2013, 03:32:02 pm »
im still on a list to obtain two four packs.  we shall see if my rants are in order.

Yada

« Reply #2276 on: April 02, 2013, 03:36:48 pm »

maybe the stores are still charging high prices because they know they can get away with it?  or, more likely, that capacity isn't online yet... dammit.

edit: a quick google search indicated that the new capacity has been dedicated to Imperial Stout, Curmudgeon Old Ale and Backwoods Bastard - not BS/KBS.  i remember that "cheaper KBS" news story too, but maybe they've changed their minds.  insert walkies' rant here:

yikes... how bad?

and since we're talking about Founders: here is their release schedule for 2013: http://www.examiner.com/article/founders-brewing-company-releases-2013-schedule (or http://foundersbrewing.com/latest-news/2013/doom-is-our-next-backstage-series-release/).  gonna hafta track down some Doom.

$7.99 a bottle.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #2277 on: April 02, 2013, 03:44:52 pm »
How many ounces are in that bottle?

Keep in mind, to my knowledge, I'm still in a Founders Free Zone.  ::)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2278 on: April 02, 2013, 03:47:47 pm »
KBS is only sold in 12 oz bottles... so, regular/small bottles (not bombers).
<sig>

Yada

« Reply #2279 on: April 02, 2013, 03:50:53 pm »
My beer connect says only two cases were given to Rodmans and one case given to MacGruders, who knows though?

Also, two cases of Heady Topper are still being served at Smoke and Barrel. $10 a can.