Author Topic: Merriweather Post Pavilion  (Read 3940 times)

blinksaar

Merriweather Post Pavilion
« on: April 22, 2006, 03:53:00 pm »
whats it like? how many people do you think the pit holds?

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
Re: Merriweather Post Pavilion
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 04:17:00 pm »
First off, don't listen to anything anyone says about the place who hasn't been there in the past couple years. It's altogether different than it was and is now a very nice place with all of the upgrades that were made.

It's kind of on the medium to sort of small size for what would be an arena or pavillon show. It's big but managable if you happen to be turned off to that sort of thing. It's actually rather pleasant with the trees surrounding and the 9:32 bar or clubhouse area (which reminds me of a beach house) is a halfway decent get-a-way for a drink with DJed music. The food concessions are a bit better than most venues. Everything is pricey just like it is everywhere else.

The sound is pretty good, even on the lawn, for outdoors. Just don't wander too far to the sides.

You're still going to be watching ants perform onstage if you end up on the lawn but the pavillion is rather nice, especially the closer you get. I've never been in their pit but I would assume you would like it if you don't expect a seat to come along with that. The stage is big so you will have to do a lot of head turning to catch everything if you are in the center.

As all other larger venues, the ticket prices inside are usually high which prevents me from catching all that many shows there. As far as the lawn goes, I personally won't buy an advanced ticket solely due to potential weather factors. If I miss out on a last minute ticket, than that's my luck and far from my only losses.

All in all, if you are considering going, do it. It's a nice place. Even I like the place and I usually can't stand larger venues. In fact, I didn't like it much before the changes but it's a whole different and much better place now. I'm sure you'll be happy if it's a show you want to see.

If you go in from Baltimore, the traffic will generally be no problem at all. It's all those coming up from the DC area who hit lots of traffic but nothing like Nissan entire day pilgramages. Just your normal periodic traffic jams.

BLACKSTORM

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 09:38:00 am »
It is a little bigger than WolfTrap, but not as big as Nissan. I went to a few shows last year and had a great time. Nice ambiance and most importantly no traffic.

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 11:43:00 am »
Originally posted by Alec:
If you're trying to figure this out for Warped Tour dear Alec, do you know yet if it's going to be on the mainstage or if they're holding it in the parking lot?

blinksaar

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2006, 11:55:00 am »
Originally posted by you be betty:

If you're trying to figure this out for Warped Tour dear Alec, do you know yet if it's going to be on the mainstage or if they're holding it in the parking lot? [/b]
i just wanted to know. im going to warped at nissan.

you be betty

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2006, 12:31:00 pm »

If you're trying to figure this out for Warped Tour dear Alec, do you know yet if it's going to be on the mainstage or if they're holding it in the parking lot? [/b]
i just wanted to know. im going to warped at nissan. [/b]
oh okay, got it

sonickteam2

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2006, 02:11:00 pm »

the parking lot at merriweather is all dirt.  surely they are having it on the mainstage.

you be betty

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2006, 02:39:00 pm »
well so is Nissan's, but the usually have it in the lot there...

Warped Tour requires like six stages

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2006, 03:52:00 pm »
The lawn at Merriwether is nice if your objective is not to actually *watch* the band, but hang out on a blanket with some friends and a cooler under the evening sky while some of your favorite music plays live.
_\|/_

pj

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2006, 07:56:00 pm »
I have to say, as someone who really enjoys watching the band play during concerts, what you describe is sometimes not such a bad thing.

Originally posted by Doomter Doc:
  The lawn at Merriwether is nice if your objective is not to actually *watch* the band, but hang out on a blanket with some friends and a cooler under the evening sky while some of your favorite music plays live.

thingsfallapart

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2006, 08:11:00 pm »
Merriweather is nice.  It owns Nissan in pretty much every category, as most people in this thread have already detailed.

xcanuck

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2006, 09:16:00 am »
And don't forget the fabulous 9:32, on the far side of the venue. It reminds me of the Back Bar, they play great music, and it's a welcome respite from the kiddies.