Author Topic: Matt Pond PA  (Read 4872 times)

jude376

Re: Matt Pond PA
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2006, 01:05:00 pm »
Last time Pernice Brothers came to DC, they played at Jammin' Java. Jammin' Java! Don't get me wrong, Jammin' Java is a nice little place and all, especially if you're an up-and-coming artist. I just think that the Bros. are way too established for such a small venue.

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2006, 01:09:00 pm »
Whereas Matt Pond headlined at 9:30. Now remind me, who's not getting enough love?

Originally posted by jude376:
  Last time Pernice Brothers came to DC, the played at Jammin' Java. Jammin' Java! Don't get me wrong, Jammin' Java is a nice little place and all, especially if you're an up-and-coming artist. I just think that the Bros. are way too established for such a small venue.

jude376

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2006, 01:22:00 pm »
Exactly.

lily1

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2006, 04:42:00 pm »
i have nearly all his albums. i'd be happy to burn you some stuff.

I liked Several Arrows Later...

Haven't really listened to his earlier stuff too much. Any suggestions?

jude376

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2006, 07:20:00 pm »
Originally posted by lily1:
  i have nearly all his albums. i'd be happy to burn you some stuff.

I liked Several Arrows Later...

Haven't really listened to his earlier stuff too much. Any suggestions?
[/b]
Thanks for the offer, lily.  :)  But I have that Yahoo Music Unlimited thing - so it's easy to just play anything. If you have recommendations, let me know.

lily1

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2006, 08:38:00 pm »
i like the green fury a lot and emblems as well. deer apartments and measure are the earliest releases. i haven't listened to the ep's in a long long time so i can't confidently recommend them. nor have i listened the nature of maps in a while.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2006, 08:12:00 am »
Last time I checked Polyvinyl and Altitude aren't exactly "major" labels...
T.Rex

crevers

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2006, 05:31:00 pm »
"closest (look out)" and "grave's disease" off of the emblems album got me hooked.  several arrows later is a good album, top to bottom, but the title track kicks ass (as much as matt pond pa can kick ass).

eltee

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2006, 05:49:00 pm »
  Last time Pernice Brothers came to DC, they played at Jammin' Java. Jammin' Java! Don't get me wrong, Jammin' Java is a nice little place and all, especially if you're an up-and-coming artist. I just think that the Bros. are way too established for such a small venue.
Many things factor into where a show is held. You guys get bent out of shape sometimes when really, sometimes maybe, it's just a date that is open and fits. DC is doing much better with the amount of venues, but they are either large or small, few in between. Jammin' Java can hold more than Iota, not sure the Bros. fit the BC, or if they can fill 930. The Bros. have played at Jammin' Java a few times. Thus, they return.

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2006, 07:33:00 am »
I don't think we were lamenting the fact that PB played JJ. We were lamenting the fact that they are underappreciated and thus not playing bigger venues by now. And yes, they have headlined the Black Cat in the past.

Reod Dai

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2006, 03:37:00 am »
I went to the 9:30 show mainly for Youth Group, who opened, although I'd heard really good things about Matt Pond and was interested in them.  After the show, I snapped up all six CDs they had available (four albums and two EPs) on the spot.  And I've been fortunate enough to see them again since then, at the NorVA in Norfolk.  There was a half-decent showing there, actually...Matt said they only expected, like, ten or so.  I'm not sure why such a spectacular band hasn't gotten more attention.

jude376

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2006, 01:12:00 pm »
Originally posted by Weird Little Self Loathing Man:
  I don't think we were lamenting the fact that PB played JJ. We were lamenting the fact that they are underappreciated and thus not playing bigger venues by now. And yes, they have headlined the Black Cat in the past.
Well-said.  :)