Author Topic: Revolution Records closing at the end of the month  (Read 6666 times)

bellenseb

Revolution Records closing at the end of the month
« on: August 04, 2006, 10:17:00 am »
Can't say I'm too surprised. Really nice guys, not so workable business model. It was always a case of small shop/no speciality that made the store not worth going out of the way for.

thirsty moore

Re: Revolution Records closing at the end of the month
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 10:24:00 am »
Van Ness is no place to set up a record store.

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 11:47:00 am »
did you guys hear that Smash in Georgetown is closing, too?

redsock

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 11:58:00 am »
my understanding is that from the ashes of Revolution may rise a phoenix, though in a slightly different form. Think McDonalds, Cleveland Park. Last I heard it was supposed to be some sort of cafe/record shop. The plans may have changed though...

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 12:03:00 pm »
Losing Smash would suck.

brennser

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 12:55:00 pm »
Originally posted by bellenseb:
  Can't say I'm too surprised. Really nice guys, not so workable business model. It was always a case of small shop/no speciality that made the store not worth going out of the way for.
yeah, its a pity - bumped into Nayan and Fred last night at the S-K gig and they told me.....but yeah, CD sellings a tough business to be in right now.....I used to go there quite a bit but have found myself relying more and more on emusic

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 01:24:00 pm »
Well we are definitely losing Smash.  A friend of mine's father owns the building that Smash is in and they said they are calling it quits.  That place has been so great to me over the years   :(

kcjones119

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 01:40:00 pm »
this sucks, i really like that place and still have three stamps left to get on my $10 off card.

eros

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2006, 01:43:00 pm »
It looks like Tower is in big trouble too.

The one in Tysons is probably dead anyway since Best Buy is moving right next door to them.

No CDs for you
ʎɐʍou

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2006, 01:49:00 pm »
Originally posted by eros:
  It looks like Tower is in big trouble too.

The one in Tysons is probably dead anyway since Best Buy is moving right next door to them.

No CDs for you
I know this is crass but.... YEAH another chance to buy deeply discounted CDs at a overpriced record store....
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2006, 01:58:00 pm »
Originally posted by brennser:

Originally posted by bellenseb:
yeah, its a pity - bumped into Nayan and Fred last night at the S-K gig and they told me.....but yeah, CD sellings a tough business to be in right now.....I used to go there quite a bit but have found myself relying more and more on emusic [/b]
well the majors are fueling the death of indie stores by not giving them the discounts passed along to the best buys of the worlds that buy in larger quanities.  cds that those chains sell at loss leaders to bring people into buy fridges, etc.  some indie stores are able to buy new releases at a big box store cheaper than they can at wholesale.  couple that with the fact that indie stores can't extort the majors into paying for endcap placement of cds which helps pad the bottom line of the big guys.

luckily stores like Newbury Comics are trying to fight back by working with indie labels, but still can't get the price breaks Amazon gets...
T.Rex

thegazelle

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2006, 02:22:00 pm »
There was a great article in the Southwest Airlines magazine (Spirit?) this week. It was about the problems of indie record stores and how some of them are actually keeping up with, and in some cases beating, the majors retailers. A couple of the biggies were Easy Street in Seattle and Amoeba in Calif. Good article if you catch a flight somewhere.

Chip Chanko

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2006, 03:47:00 pm »
I will next thursday.

Originally posted by thegazelle:
  There was a great article in the Southwest Airlines magazine (Spirit?) this week. It was about the problems of indie record stores and how some of them are actually keeping up with, and in some cases beating, the majors retailers. A couple of the biggies were Easy Street in Seattle and Amoeba in Calif. Good article if you catch a flight somewhere.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2006, 07:18:00 pm »
A pity about Smash.  I haven't been in there in a few years, but I used to love that place when I was a youngin'.  I bought so much shit from the first location across the street.

Aphex

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2006, 01:18:00 pm »
Originally posted by kcjones119:
  this sucks, i really like that place and still have three stamps left to get on my $10 off card.
You still got time. We will be having some good sales through the month...if your on our e-mail list, you know the deal...we still have some nice vinyl gems at a good price, et. al.

I hope the guys do follow up with a re-opening in a better area.