Author Topic: LiveNation/Ticketmaster merger (petition to block)  (Read 16144 times)

lanmanrm

Re: LiveNation/Ticketmaster merger (petition to block)
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2010, 12:02:13 pm »
Regardless of whose interest Seth has in mind, I think the result he is pulling for is beneficial to all of us.

People may already know this, but Seth gave his Senate Judiciary Committee Testimony about a year ago.  Read it if you haven't already, it provides a pretty interesting perspective:

http://judiciary.senate.gov/hearings/testimony.cfm?id=3674&wit_id=7625
No, it provides a biased perspective from someone who doesn't have any of our best interest in mind. We've been over this a thousand times.

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2010, 12:29:08 pm »
from someone who doesn't have any of our best interest in mind. riously?

none?  seriously?  how about having good artists perform at the club?  ensuring patrons enjoy themselves and want to return?  providing a safe environment?  these are some of my best interests...
None of those things have anything to do with his comments on the LN/TM merger, and any claim otherwise is simply fearmongering. Seth's 100% motivation (as it should be) is his bottom line and how the merger will affect him; any attempts to frame the issue otherwise or add window dressing or play to an audience is simply farce.

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2010, 12:54:49 pm »
Just because a weatherman owns a snow plowing company, doesn't mean you shouldn't believe him if he says it's going to snow and has the data to prove it

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2010, 01:12:57 pm »
Just because a weatherman owns a snow plowing company, doesn't mean you shouldn't believe him if he says it's going to snow and has the data to prove it
Just because a KKK member writes a discertation about how bringing back slavery would create a cheap workforce and boost the economy, doesn't mean we should make him the Chariman of the Federal Reserve.

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2010, 01:20:34 pm »
Personally, I always try to consider a point someone is making, regardless of their agenda

even when it's you

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2010, 01:22:18 pm »
Just because a KKK member writes a discertation about how bringing back slavery would create a cheap workforce and boost the economy, doesn't mean we should make him the Chariman of the Federal Reserve.

Quite true but I think you've lost sight of the difference between a snow job and a blow job.

wml7

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2010, 01:24:17 pm »
Personally, I always try to consider a point someone is making, regardless of their agenda

even when it's you

wow  :o haha  ;D

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2010, 01:30:59 pm »

none?  seriously?  how about having good artists perform at the club?  ensuring patrons enjoy themselves and want to return?  providing a safe environment?  these are some of my best interests...
None of those things have anything to do with his comments on the LN/TM merger, and any claim otherwise is simply fearmongering.

you don't think that the merger will limit artists from performing at the club?  one might answer "not any more than LN already does", but i don't buy that.  they're consolidating to take over the industry and squeeze as much as they can out of it.  they'll be in that much better position to do so after the merger.
<sig>

Jaguar

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2010, 01:50:01 pm »

None of those things have anything to do with his comments on the LN/TM merger, and any claim otherwise is simply fearmongering.

you don't think that the merger will limit artists from performing at the club?  one might answer "not any more than LN already does", but i don't buy that.  they're consolidating to take over the industry and squeeze as much as they can out of it.  they'll be in that much better position to do so after the merger.

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!

And that is one of the major chunks of meat of the issue.

Thank you Sweets, for serving it up.

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2010, 03:04:11 pm »
you don't think that the merger will limit artists from performing at the club? 
I guess other then Seth, IMP employees, and about 100 people on here who absolutely cannot pry their lips of IMP's metaphoric dick, no one else in the world really thinks that's a terrible thing. If bands continue to play the exact same city at similar ticket costs, then most people really don't care if it takes place in Nondescript Club A or Nondescript Club B.

James Ford

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2010, 03:24:56 pm »

"discertation"

Is that the Richmond spelling?

I once went to Richmond with a girlfriend back in the late 90's. Upon coming back to her car, we found a leaflet promoting a local KKK meeting on our windshield.

True story.

Jaguar

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2010, 03:47:15 pm »
I guess other then Seth, IMP employees, and about 100 people on here who absolutely cannot pry their lips of IMP's metaphoric dick, no one else in the world really thinks that's a terrible thing. If bands continue to play the exact same city at similar ticket costs, then most people really don't care if it takes place in Nondescript Club A or Nondescript Club B.

That is where the other pieces of meat come into play. Many of us don't want the Grade B cuts when we can have Grade A. Besides, historically, once a monopoly; or duopoly in some cases; gets in and takes over, that's when they then ratchet up the prices even further and offer less to the paying public while pushing all the locals out of the game plan. You think Jiffy Lube Live is laughable? Just wait till you get pure Wal-Martizing of the bigger concert scene. It effects much more than just seeing Brand X at Club A or Club B. Much, much more.

And Rhett, screw it with the spelling nit picking! You're worrying about whether you're putting butter or margarine on your broccoli (I know you're a veg.) instead of whether or not it's a nice stalk of organic instead of over-cooked and processed frozen crap.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2010, 03:50:56 pm »
James Ford is a veg?  Is that the secret to his beauty?
(_|_)

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2010, 03:55:57 pm »

First they came for the communists, and I did not speak out?because I was not a communist;
Then they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak out?because I was not a trade unionist;
Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out?because I was not a Jew;
Then they came for me?and there was no one left to speak out.

Ardamus

• Ardamus
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2010, 03:56:33 pm »

even when it's you

wow  :o haha  ;D

LOL, I knew something better than I expected would come out of this thread.  :D Hahaha, that just made my day......