Author Topic: The Olympics Thread  (Read 84503 times)

godsshoeshine

Re: The Olympics Thread
« Reply #120 on: February 26, 2010, 04:41:32 pm »
i wouldnt get 87 on a sweater

Yeah, you'd have to be a really big pussy to have a sweater with Crosby on it.  Especially if it was the light blue one.....
i hate the light blue. as my dad says 'just reminds you of when they were terrible'

but in dc you have to go crosby. pisses off caps fans the most
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 04:48:34 pm by godsshoeshine »
o/\o

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #121 on: February 26, 2010, 10:19:42 pm »
Canadian women just pissed away the Curling gold. Led by 2 going into the 10th end, shitted that away, then blew the hammer in the 11th after painting themself into a corner where they had to go for a double on the last throw. Wowza.

« Reply #122 on: February 26, 2010, 10:25:34 pm »
I think 80% of Caps fans were not Caps fans prior to Ovechkin, therefore, on some level, they're truly fans of him, not the Caps.

This also goes for the Penguins/Crosby on some level as well, although not to as great a degree.
i dont dispute either point
Yes, I meant no disrespect. I remember the Dead Wings years and how people started to come back after Yzerman showed he was the real deal (although, again respectfully, to a lesser degree then WAS/PIT), so I can't speak negatively. But Washington's "fickle" audience seems to have a particular assumption that all things Ovechkin = all things Caps.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #123 on: February 27, 2010, 12:50:23 am »
aaaaaaaaaaaand we have a re-match for the gold.  couldn't have asked for a more exciting final.  sunday's game will be awesome :)

what a way to get in, tho... those last 60 seconds were interminable.  not the best way for team canada to leave the ice - from a confidence-boosting 3-0 to a nail-biting, will-we-survive one-point lead.  ugh.
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #124 on: February 27, 2010, 12:52:47 am »
Canadian women just pissed away the Curling gold. Led by 2 going into the 10th end, shitted that away, then blew the hammer in the 11th after painting themself into a corner where they had to go for a double on the last throw. Wowza.

i'm still feeling mildly sick from that.  can't believe the turn of events.  with two rocks left in the 10th, i looked canada had it sewn up... and then ms. consistency threw it away.  i don't think she'll be sleeping well tonight.
<sig>

godsshoeshine

« Reply #125 on: February 27, 2010, 09:28:10 am »
so pumped for tomorrow. i dont think i'll be too upset either way

I think 80% of Caps fans were not Caps fans prior to Ovechkin, therefore, on some level, they're truly fans of him, not the Caps.

This also goes for the Penguins/Crosby on some level as well, although not to as great a degree.
i dont dispute either point
Yes, I meant no disrespect. I remember the Dead Wings years and how people started to come back after Yzerman showed he was the real deal (although, again respectfully, to a lesser degree then WAS/PIT), so I can't speak negatively. But Washington's "fickle" audience seems to have a particular assumption that all things Ovechkin = all things Caps.
more people in more cities that are going to games and watching them on tv is good for the game as a whole. i just wish the locals didnt make me want to bang my head against the wall. i blame leonsis
o/\o

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #126 on: February 27, 2010, 08:00:34 pm »
canada has snuck in to third place in the medal standings, and actually has the most gold medals of any country.  go canada :)
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #127 on: February 28, 2010, 04:14:52 pm »
awright, just about that time.

canada favored at -1, according to bodog.
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #128 on: February 28, 2010, 06:34:10 pm »
TWENTY FIVE SECONDS
<sig>

« Reply #129 on: February 28, 2010, 07:22:14 pm »
The tying goal was madness. So much crystal got shattered at my party; the remnants of discarded rum & coke siphoning between the cracks in our hardwood floors. Then as high as the elation was to tie it, it was that depressing to watch the NHL's poster-boy show up for the first time in the Olympics and end it. :( :( :( :( :(

Congrats to Sweets, and Canada though. If you'd have told me at the beginning of the Olympics we'd win silver and split two games with Canada... I'd have taken it.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #130 on: February 28, 2010, 10:28:25 pm »
easily the most hillarious outcome possible. my twitter feed is amazing.

o/\o

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #131 on: February 28, 2010, 10:40:52 pm »
CA - NA - DA

what an amazing game - miller absolutely deserved the mpv
<sig>

« Reply #132 on: February 28, 2010, 11:19:10 pm »
It was sort of cool how both teams got this insane "go nuts" moment -- the US with the game tying goal with :25 left and Canada with the winner -- but man, I'd feel alot happier about the outcome if someone other than He Who Piggy Backs Much More Talented Teammates To Glory or He Who Forever Leads With Elbow had scored the game winner. That kinda sucked.

« Reply #133 on: February 28, 2010, 11:19:56 pm »
And on another note, is anyone watching these Closing Ceremonies? Embarrassingly weird. Dear Canada is doing their god-awful best to be a punchline at this point.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #134 on: March 01, 2010, 09:35:26 am »
It was sort of cool how both teams got this insane "go nuts" moment -- the US with the game tying goal with :25 left and Canada with the winner -- but man, I'd feel alot happier about the outcome if someone other than He Who Piggy Backs Much More Talented Teammates To Glory or He Who Forever Leads With Elbow had scored the game winner. That kinda sucked.
kris draper did not score the game winner
o/\o