Author Topic: World Cup 2010  (Read 54844 times)

vansmack

Re: World Cup 2010
« Reply #210 on: July 08, 2010, 01:09:21 pm »
How was germany's strategy today any different than it was against england and argentina?

I thought maybe I was being too harsh on Low after seeing the adoration of the Spanish gameplan, so I watched it again last night.  Sitting back against that midfield is basically announcing that we're allowing you to hold the ball for 90 minutes if you wish, because Spain can do that.  And they did.

But to your point though, even on the counter, which was Germany's strength after the group stage, you rarely saw Lahm going forward, and Boateng, who was taken out oddly at the 52nd minute, was a disaster going forward, basically running right into Ramos everytime.  Watching the counters, it was pretty much up to Ozil and Klose because even Schweinstager and Khedira were sitting back.  2, and on the rare occassion 3 going forward, but you rarely saw the 4 and 5 man attacks that led to the goals against England and Argentina.

Sure, Spain were fantastic (if not down right boring to most) with their tiki-taka style of game, but let's not forget: the lone goal was scored on an set-piece, not some dazzling display of touch pass football.  God I hope the Dutch don't sit back and let this happen to them.
27>34

Mobius

« Reply #211 on: July 08, 2010, 07:42:02 pm »
It will be interesting, for sure.  If netherlands aka holland aka the dutch open up spain will create beautiful opportunities.  Can they finish?  Iniesta and xavi are finally on point, but they're more facilitators.  Pedro is a huge upgrade for torres, but also a facilitator.  Xabi camr real clos to being a hero yesterday and is a good suspect to join villa on score sheet.  Holland aka netherlands aka dutch are super solid and I'm not betting against sneijder anytime soon, but I think spain will make them also appear strangely impotent.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #212 on: July 08, 2010, 10:21:15 pm »
<sig>

wml7

« Reply #213 on: July 08, 2010, 10:25:57 pm »

hutch

« Reply #214 on: July 10, 2010, 11:01:40 am »
Klinsmann said it after the Germany-Spain game: Germany just respected Spain too much..They didn't take it to Spain...

Honestly, Germany just seemed so much more pumped up for the England and Argentina games... Klinsmann said that he thought the defeat against Spain in 2008 still weighed against them..

lagas

« Reply #215 on: July 10, 2010, 07:25:36 pm »
Pulpo Paul was right again...
zorra

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #216 on: July 11, 2010, 10:14:06 am »

Totaalvoetbal def. Tika Taka. 2-2 (4-3 PK) (What I thought Deutschland would defeat Espana by.)

And somewhere, a proud Johan Cruyff buys Tom Brady and Jim Kelly a beer.

Brian

Mobius

« Reply #217 on: July 11, 2010, 05:13:39 pm »
Total Football?  That's like calling Pat Riley's Knicks 'Showtime'.*  Glad Iniesta finally pulled the trigger and the better team won before penalty kicks.

*And if Spain could have had a possession without getting fouled perhaps they could have demonstrated to the Dutch what Total Football looks like

vansmack

« Reply #218 on: July 11, 2010, 09:58:03 pm »
Fuck off.

You're boring, you dive, you scored the lowest goal total to win a cup by a long shot (8 goals! despite 32 teams) and half your own country hates you.  I'll remind you why....

Congrats.  See you in Kiev.
27>34

Mobius

« Reply #219 on: July 12, 2010, 06:48:23 am »
Pretty unfair.  Spain plays an elegant style which embodies the Dutch tradition passed onto Barcelona and now, finally, the national team whose DNA was rooted in Barca (who are rooted in Total Football).

The team started to click in the knockout rounds but ran into bad style matchups other than the German game, which was awesome.  The Netherlands chose to play a negative game and foul essentially every play.  Spain could never find a rhythm b/c of the ugly play of their opponent.  The 'dives' were responses to intended fouls . . .a negative response to a negative intention (the few times Netherlands didn't actually foul) to keep the ref on notice.  Paraguay played a negative game.  Spain's best performance was against Germany, a high powered team rendered helpless (but which still could easily have won and probably would have with Mueller) for the most part.

Spain came into the tournament with 3 goalscorers - Villa, Torres and David Silva.  Torres and Silva were worse than useless.  Villa was great.  Despite being handicapped, Spain managed to score each game and lock down their opponents.  Casillas was brilliant. 

In the past two years if Barca only had Villa instead of Messi in combination with Etoo then Ibrihimovic as well as Henry would they be boring?  No.  Would they score less.  Of course.

The nations of Franco and Hitler play beautiful soccer/football today . . .a testament to progress (and the reemergence of national characters which had been hijacked to emphasize their worst possible sides).  Interestingly it was the Netherlands team that played a game reminiscent of Fascism.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 07:12:32 am by Mobius »

lagas

« Reply #220 on: July 12, 2010, 07:01:55 am »
Congrats to Barcelona, I bet he has the greatest hangover ever...it wasn't a good game, but throughout the tournament they were the most consistent team, even with the low scoring...i wonder how does it feel to be a world champion, unfortunatelly, it's likely I'll never know (though Chile was the last team to score a goal against Spain, a golazo by el chino millar)...
zorra

godsshoeshine

« Reply #221 on: July 12, 2010, 09:04:18 am »
before the final i was didnt know who i was going to root for. i dont really care for or against either side all that much, but as a fan of entertaining soccer i figured a dutch victory would be more exciting than a 1 nil spanish passfest. that lasted for about 10 minutes. for fans of positive soccer, spain were the only side to root for and the dutch were embarrassing
o/\o

ggw

« Reply #222 on: July 12, 2010, 12:00:18 pm »
What was the deal with that one corner kick where the Dutch didn't even play offense and the Dutch guy just gently passed it to the Spanish goalie?

vansmack

« Reply #223 on: July 12, 2010, 01:54:36 pm »
What was the deal with that one corner kick where the Dutch didn't even play offense and the Dutch guy just gently passed it to the Spanish goalie?

That was sportmanship.  The ball that went out of bounds was a result of the Dutch giving the ball back to the spanish (who had possession before an inury whistle), but the kick was so far down the pitch that it bounced too high and the goalie had to touch it for fear that it would go in the net.  The Dutch were simply making making amends and also making sure he caught it this time.

Begs the question though:  Had it gone it, would the dutch have ceded a goal to the Spanish?  Would have been awesome to find out.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #224 on: July 12, 2010, 02:24:45 pm »
Pretty unfair.  Spain plays an elegant style which embodies the Dutch tradition passed onto Barcelona and now, finally, the national team whose DNA was rooted in Barca (who are rooted in Total Football).

What games have you been watching?  That was not elegant in the slightest.  All 7 of Spain's matches in this World Cup have been some of the most boring affairs not being played by a team throwing matches (yes, I'm talking about you, Nigeria).

Before I begin, yes Spain deserved to win yesterday.  Fine.  But let's really look at this:

There's a free kick to the Spanish in a dangerous position. Here's a quick quiz:
Q1: Do Spain
(a) cross the ball into the box
(b) pass the ball to someone near the box
(c) attempt a complicated series of quick passes, the last of which disappears up a Spanish fundament?
ANSWER: You know the answer.

That's not elegant.  Not trying to score is simply not elegant.  Possession is fine, but not attacking when you have the chance is simply not elegant.

Here's what I will remember from yesterday:

Howard Webb issued twice as many yellow cards as he should have and twice as few red cards as he should have.  By issuing so many yellows, the entire second half was dedicated to both teams, but mostly the Spainsh, trying to get someone sent off. ZZzzzz.

Heitinga was the LAST Dutch player who should have been sent off.  Both of his yellows were soft, where as de Jong and Robben were both lucky to be out there and van Bommell obviously sold his sold to the devil all tournament.

de Jong should have been sent off in the 28th minute.  That kick was worse that Zidane's headbutt.  At the time I thought "Good for Webb for not ruining the rest fo the game" but in hindsight, if had made the proper call, I wouldn't have sat through that drivel.

As much as I disapproved of Webb's performance, Robben cost the Dutch more than anybody.  Kuyt I expect to miss that goal, but not Robben.  He deserved to be sent off for his second "dissent" and, for some strange reason didn't fall over on the break when Puyols clipped him, which would have earned him a penalty.  I guarantee you Villa, Iniesta, Torres...all would have fallen over.  Lot's of questions should be asked of Robben on Monday morning.

The Dutch made the same mistake with Sneidjer as the Germans did with Schweinstager.  He was rarely seen in the final, and the one time he did go forward, Robben failed to finish.  Too much respect for Spain resulted in the opposing teams playmakers being nuetered.

For all of their "elegance," lets talk about Spains last two goals. One on a set piece (Germany) and one on the run of play, against a 10 man squad on a possession they shouldn't even have had because that was a clear corner off the free kick.  Just an awful decision by both Howard Webb and the lines man.  That free kick clearly hit a Spanish shoulder squarely, wasn't even a glance.  What should have been a Dutch corner resulted in a Spanish goal.  That's elegance? Sounds pretty damn lucky to me.

That was one of the worst finals I've ever seen and I think the wrong team is taking the blame.  Go back and look at all 7 of Spain's games and tell me they didn't play the exact same boring game in all seven of them.
27>34