Author Topic: flat-screen tv recommendations  (Read 14774 times)

James Ford

Re: flat-screen tv recommendations
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2010, 02:01:18 pm »
I'm no self proclaimed expert on TVs, just know what I like and don't like...

My impression is that LCDs are better choice if you watch a lot of sporting events because they tend to be brighter.

My impression of a good plasma is that it handles Blacks better and more suited if you watch a lot of movies.

If you watch alot of sports, wouldn't the one that handles Blacks better be the best choice?

thirsty moore

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2010, 02:12:08 pm »
Oh man.

vansmack

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2010, 02:28:09 pm »
Plasma vs LCD

What's an LED TV?

2010 HDTV Buyer's Guide

These are three great links from GGW.  Definitely read these.

Don't spend the premium money on an LED.  Wait to replace your plasma or LCD with an OLED when that market comes down to a reasonable price.  That should coincide with 3DTV's becoming more mainstream and you will see much greater benefit.

The real "biggest difference" from a user standpoint on Plasma and LCD is the glare on the screen more than anything else.  If there will be direct sunlight on the TV, go with LCD because the glass of the plasma will reflect the light.  If there will not be direct sunlight on the screen then a plasma will be fine.

All else is in the eye of the beholder - buy whatever produces the best picture you desire.  And feel free to test a bunch of TVs at a retailer with your own source material.  If that means Blu-ray, have them hook up a blu-ray.  If that means sports, have them put your favorite sports program on... 

27>34

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2010, 02:37:39 pm »
I think plasmas also put out more heat. Even my little 26-inch LCD warms up my room by a few degrees. Nice in winter, sucks in summer.
😐 🎶

vansmack

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2010, 02:38:36 pm »
I think plasmas also put out more heat.

It does.  And most plasmas use more elctricity.
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2010, 03:22:25 pm »
so my questionably rigorous online research has revealed that the step up from 120 Hz to 240 Hz isn't really worth it, it's going from 60 to 120 that is noticeable.

after spending way too long doing online shopping yesterday, i'm considering the following:
LG 42LH40 - 42" Widescreen 1080p LCD HDTV
Toshiba REGZA 42ZV650U 42-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV
Sharp LC40E77U 40-Inch 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV
TOSHIBA REGZA 40" 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV 40XV645U
(common specs: 120 Hz refresh, response times under 8 ms, high contrast, high brightness, good reviews - but the real test will be how they perform IRL... hoping i can track them down offline)

The only area pic wise where lcd wins is if you have a very very bright room with lots of windows and glare. 

that's my situation.  2 southern-facing windows to the side and 2 west-facing windows directly across from the tv.  i fear that a glass-paneled plasma would be almost unusable during daylight hours.

The most important advice:  Go as big as your budget and room will possibly allow.  Noone has ever said "gee i wish i'd gotten a smaller tv".

you haven't met my wife.  she's even more of a tv luddite than i am.  if i show up with a jumbotron, i will have things thrown at me.  i'm limiting myself to 42", which will also help keep costs under control.

Also as far as what size to get, it's best to get buy off from the significant other before proceeding  ;D

beat me to it :)  if we didn't have all the expenses associated with moving in to our first house, i'd have more latitude in what i spend money on.  as is, just getting monthly HDTV charges in to the budget was a minor struggle - thanks goodness we're going in to a world cup, the missus supports the need to have HD to watch it.
<sig>

godsshoeshine

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2010, 05:39:52 pm »
soccer in hd is a pretty big step up. not quite as big as hockey, though

are you the guy that used to go to applebees to watch sports
o/\o

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2010, 07:03:44 pm »
soccer in hd is a pretty big step up. not quite as big as hockey, though

i don't think i can ever watch hockey again in SD.  tried a few weeks ago... painful.

was anybody here at the lucky bar for the last world cup's england-portugal game?  it was a saturday morning, doors opened around 8:30am, doors closed at 9:05 b/c capacity was reached (shoulder-to-shoulder), and we partied while we waited for the game to start at 11 am.  it was one of the best times i've ever had in a bar - great energy in there, too bad england lost.  ANYHOO, point of this story is that just before the game went on, management took the mic and asked the crowd: do you want to watch the game in HD with american commentary, or in SD with british commentary?  crowded voted to go with english SD, much to my chagrin.  ugh.  yes, the english commentary is better, but it that REALLY what we're here for??

are you the guy that used to go to applebees to watch sports

yeah, that was me while exiled in NJ (i.e. before this past june).  went there b/c i didn't have a TV of my own, and could get them to put on pretty much anything i wanted including the world juniors on TSN - they had every sports channel subscription known to man.

but soon, i shall be autarkic in di-def sport provisionment!  mwahahahaahaaaa...
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 07:06:41 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2010, 07:16:14 pm »

ANYHOO, point of this story is that just before the game went on, management took the mic and asked the crowd: do you want to watch the game in HD with american commentary, or in SD with british commentary?  crowded voted to go with english SD, much to my chagrin.  ugh.  yes, the english commentary is better, but it that REALLY what we're here for??

that to me sounds like a bunch of poseurs were trying to prove how Euro they were....  unless they were actual Brits voting that way...

_\|/_

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2010, 08:24:01 pm »
that to me sounds like a bunch of poseurs were trying to prove how Euro they were....  unless they were actual Brits voting that way...

some of the latter, mostly the former.  "soccer is only appreciated by euros, therefore we MUST have euro commentary".  even the english owner of the lucky bar wanted american HD but was yelled down.
<sig>

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2010, 09:09:26 pm »
It is now my contention that so-called "high definition" (HD) is the new "standard definition" (SD). Even free broadcast is new SD. The old standard should be redubbed LD, for "legacy definition" (of course, it would be known as "low def" by why hurt the old man's feelings, alright?). Cable companies should cut the crap and allow customers to get new SD as the standard package, without the LD versions of the same channels tagging along, never to be watched. LD customers could get a budget channel line-up.
😐 🎶

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2010, 09:25:15 pm »
Yes but LD shows take up less space on the DVR  than HD/SD, so until DVRs start coming with monster HDs we'll be sticking with watching  LD at least for time shifted shows.  Our HD watching is pretty much limited to On demand stuff,  or if by chance we are watching something live.   Now the ablility to record BBCAmerica in HD would be nice...
T.Rex

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2010, 10:56:19 pm »
why can't you record BBC in HD?  or is it a case of the same ol' space limitation?

the DVR i'll be getting with Fios states "Record up to 80 hrs. of standard definition content and up to 20 hrs. of HD content".  ugh.  i wonder if i can open up the machine and put in a larger hard drive.
<sig>

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2010, 11:17:40 pm »
i wonder if i can open up the machine and put in a larger hard drive.
No, you'd be voiding your membership agreement. I asked.

We have two of the FIOS Home-Media ones so that gives us 40 hours (that can be watched on either TV) between the two, and a modified Tivo HD for another 80.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2010, 11:26:37 pm »
why can't you record BBC in HD?  or is it a case of the same ol' space limitation?

the DVR i'll be getting with Fios states "Record up to 80 hrs. of standard definition content and up to 20 hrs. of HD content".  ugh.  i wonder if i can open up the machine and put in a larger hard drive.

No BBCA in HD on Comcrap because it's more important to add the HD Weather Channel instead :P
T.Rex