Author Topic: Phish info from Ticketfly.com  (Read 20814 times)

walkonby

Re: Phish info from Ticketfly.com
« Reply #75 on: June 28, 2010, 11:54:20 am »
It was indeed hot as hell in the pavilion.

My thoughts/review for Sunday (disclaimer: I'm only a casual Phish fan and this was my first show):

-I thought the sound seemed off the whole night. I was in left loge and the vocals seemed drowned out in the mix. This could have just been due to my seat position but it didn't sound much better when I was on the lawn for a bit.

-First set was decent after the first few songs and the second set got off to a really good start but the 2nd really really long jam meandered and seemed self-indulgent. After that point in the show the band lost me until the last couple songs. This wasn't helped by the fact the show was 3 hours. I would have much preferred closer to 2 hours by cutting out some of the longer jams that didn't work well.

-Phish is really good at covers. I really enjoyed all the covers and would pay to see Phish just cover songs the whole night.

-My frame of reference for the show was the bootleg from their reunion shows in VA in 2009. The band seemed much tighter and the playing never really seemed sloppy.

-I was expecting lots of weed smoke, but I didn't expect as much as there actually. The entire show featured a constant cloud of weed and cigarette smoke. Personally, I will never get people who get super drunk and/ or super high for a concert. If you have to smoke the entire show or get shitfaced the band just may not be that great. It was fun spotting the people who were really f*cked up and guessing what drug they were on.

-In my limited experience, a lot of the Phish fans were assholes. A lot of the people there seemed to lack basic manners such as: not invading people's personal space, saying sorry or excuse me when you get in someones way, and not blowing cigarette smoke directly into your face. Also the really, really high dude next to me kept staring at me which was kind of freaking me out.

Don't get me wrong, I don't regret and it was a new experience going but I wouldn't pay $50 to see Phish again.

Set I: Walfredo, Mellow Mood, Stealing Time from the Faulty Plan, The Divided Sky, Tela, My Soul, Ginseng Sullivan, Sample in a Jar, Bathtub Gin, Brian & Robert, Run Like An Antelope
Set II: Wilson > Meatstick > I Saw It Again > Piper > Ghost > Jumping Jack Flash > I Saw It Again > Contact, You Enjoy Myself
Encore: Fire

you learn quick.  you just described, quite well, a fair share of the ones that attend.  but then again, you just described the same types of groups of people that attend all genres of shows.  i feel the older, more southern based rock bands can draw out the worst, such as lynard skynard or aerosmith or the allman brothers.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #76 on: June 28, 2010, 01:04:06 pm »
I was there last year in the right loge, in the center this time and thought the sound was much improved.

i was 11th row center pavilion last night and the sound was really good, but a little too loud.  luckily i had my etymotics, by the end of the show my buddy had wadded & stuffed tissue in his ears.

i don't listen to phish and i can't really say i'm a fan (phan?) but they're a damn fun band to see live.  trey is arguably the finest source of guitargasm going.  my friend, a long-time phish-head, noted that the freak factor was lower than he expected.  i chalked it up to their fans getting old.  plenty of weed being smoked around us... it was like we were at a rock concert!  overall, a guilty pleasure and a perfectly fine way to spend a sunday night.

i wouldn't have thought so but compared to the club, beer is cheaper at MPP ($8 domestic/$9 premium for a 20 oz cup, vs. $7 for 12 oz).  i'm sure they make up for it with their large pizza slices @ $10. 
<sig>

walkonby

« Reply #77 on: June 28, 2010, 01:10:51 pm »
you and i might be the only people around who go to a phish show and get all excited about the venue's pizza by the slice.

runwhiteyrun06

« Reply #78 on: June 28, 2010, 01:18:47 pm »
I saw you could buy 24 oz. of Stella for only 9 bucks. That is a pretty good deal for a concert.

Looking around on various websites, it seems last night's show is regarded as by far the best show of the tour so far.

hemisphire

« Reply #79 on: June 28, 2010, 01:52:54 pm »
24oz of Jomo from Starr Hill was the best beer of the night.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #80 on: June 28, 2010, 02:13:28 pm »

where were they selling starr hill?!?  dammit.
<sig>

hemisphire

« Reply #81 on: June 28, 2010, 06:16:46 pm »

where were they selling starr hill?!?  dammit.

Stage right at the back, a tent in front of a beer truck at the edge of the lawn.

wml7

« Reply #82 on: July 06, 2010, 06:21:08 pm »
These guys are pulling out all the stops.  In MD they did a cover of Neutral Milk Hotel now in GA they just did Rage Against the Machines Killing In The Name Of, crazy hipppies   ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4oUDK5ulyo

notice in this video people are actually shooting off fireworks in the stands what the hell, haha.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #83 on: July 06, 2010, 09:56:16 pm »
that was probably fun as hell to be at.  thanks for posting.
<sig>