Author Topic: Mac Mini's  (Read 4513 times)

redsock

Re: Mac Mini's
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2010, 11:04:09 am »
I'm regretting having not gotten the Zino, instead opting for the Zotac Mag-HD.  Everything is great about the machine EXCEPT the wireless and since I've recently moved and was thinking of going wireless in my new setup, it's just not going to be possible.

Redsock, what does the Apple OS offer that compares to Windows Media Center 7?

I'm actually planning to use Boxee. So it is the rest of the computer that matters to me, as well as a couple of TB hard drives I don't want to bother partitioning. And i love Transmission as a torrent client. And if i end up using the computer for more than just media, which is possible, I'd rather it be a mac.

vansmack

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2010, 05:20:01 pm »
I'm actually planning to use Boxee.

Boxee the software or Boxee the device?

Smackette, btw, loves Boxee on the HTPC.
27>34

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2010, 05:52:08 pm »
Zotac: vansmack, how far is your router from your pc?
vansmack: 25 feet, clear view of the N router
Zotac: Sir, I think that's pretty far already.
vansmack: Well, this Wireless G laptop is right next to the Hd-ND01 and it has full bars and can stream just fine
vansmack: But the Zotac machine has 2 bars and it's N
vansmack: My wife's N laptop can be in the next room and get 4 bars
Zotac:: Actually, I've read a couple of reviews from our customers and even on 22 feet distance, video playback is impossible as they say.
vansmack: With your machine, yes, but not with this laptop or my wife's laptop
vansmack: Thats my point
Zotac:: That is what exactly I am trying to say sir.
vansmack: I guess I'm confused. Are you saying that 22 feet is normal for your machine? That it's acceptable or that it's a problem?
Zotac: That is acceptable, it is just the normal capability of the machine
vansmack: I think you should begin to put that in your advertisements then because that's not accpetable to the average user for Wireless N
Holy crap. That guy's incredulity is incredible.

redsock

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2010, 11:50:06 am »
I'm actually planning to use Boxee.

Boxee the software or Boxee the device?

Smackette, btw, loves Boxee on the HTPC.

Boxee the software. Thought about the device, but for $100-$300 more I can get a full fledged computer out of it. And, as I said, the computer may likely become more than just a media center.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2010, 01:33:55 pm »
One of the things I've noticed since hooking a computer up to my TV is that a lot of software that you might want to use that way, like Itunes, isn't necessarily well designed for that type of use.  Mainly because it's hard to read small text from across a room.    Media Center and Hulu have tried to accommodate that, others don't work quite as well.

_\|/_

vansmack

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2010, 01:41:19 pm »
Vansmack, you can't add an external wi-fi to it?

So I ended up getting this N Network Adapter from TrendNet for $39 and plugged it into my switch.  It now allows for N speeds for my TiVo, Slingbox and yes, that stupid Zotac HTPC.  Quite pleased with it (and no wire drop in the bed room).

I also added this for $40 from Hong Kong (smackette not happy with the old full size wireless keyboard and mouse next to the bed): 

« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 01:43:55 pm by vansmack »
27>34

reggie

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2010, 03:09:40 pm »
Anyone use a slingbox with their home media setup? I want to install one at my parents house and then stream at my apartment through a media pc to my tv, so I wont have to pay for cable. But if Slingbox requires any upkeep, thats out of the question because my parents are techno-phobes.

vansmack

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2010, 06:06:08 pm »
Anyone use a slingbox with their home media setup? I want to install one at my parents house and then stream at my apartment through a media pc to my tv, so I wont have to pay for cable. But if Slingbox requires any upkeep, thats out of the question because my parents are techno-phobes.

I have a slingbox.(original) and I probably have to reset it about once every two months because it loses it's IP from the router (can't tell if this is a SB problem or a router problem).  There's a reset button on the back of it or it can just be unplugged and plugged back in - it's as easy as that.

The only other concerns in your scenario is that the SB will have to be wired (wireless stream quality is poor) and you'll have to watch whatever the person who's watching that TV is watching (or they'll have to watch what you're watching) so pick a very seldom used cable box to hook your SB up to.  If you're going to stream HD, there will have to be at least a cable modem on each end (or high end DSL - starter DSL won't cut it).

I'm happy to answer any more questions for you...
27>34

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2010, 08:03:26 pm »
Vansmack, you can't add an external wi-fi to it?
I also added this for $40 from Hong Kong (smackette not happy with the old full size wireless keyboard and mouse next to the bed): 

Jesus crap, that thing looks like exactly what I need!   Logitech has something similar, is this better?

_\|/_

vansmack

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2010, 09:36:28 pm »
Jesus crap, that thing looks like exactly what I need!   Logitech has something similar, is this better?

The Logitech DiNovo Mini Keyboard, which sells for about 2-3 times as much (around $120 on Amazon).  The main difference between the two is that the touch pad on the Dinovo switches between a touch pad and directional pad.  The Rii has a separate touch pad and a select up/down button for menus.  Here's a review I left on a Tivo site:

It's been great - and full of nice touches. I really like the recharageble battery aspect of it (mini USB) and the fact that it can be backlit. The receiver also stores in the underside of the keybaord - another nice touch. I ordered an all black one, but mine came a silver and black combo - no big deal really. I also didn't pay Bando's $92 - I purchased mine from Tomtop for $48 before they raised the price to $59 and received it in about 3 weeks from Hong Kong (they sent me a notice that they were having delays due to demand and that I might receive a slightly different colored model).

It works on both the TiVo Premiere and my HTPC (Zotac Mag HD). The range is not fantastic behind the TiVo, but it's strong when it's in the front USB port of my HTPC (I'm probably 12-15 feet away). When I added a 1 foot USB extension to place the receiver in the front of the TiVo, it worked much better.

The only problem I'm having so far is when the HTPC goes to sleep, I only get keyboard on wake. I have to unplug the receiver and stick it back in to make the trackpad work. I'm working on a solution.

Otherwise, well worth the $50 and the wife is super happy that the full size mouse and keyboard have disaapeared.
27>34