Author Topic: Club's 30th anniversary?  (Read 199406 times)

Davyboy

Re: Club's 30th anniversary?
« Reply #630 on: June 03, 2010, 03:48:57 pm »
wether it was your cup of tea or not should have been kept to yourself

Dear IMO,

Have you spent any time on this board? No one keeps their opinions to themselves. And Sir Mackaye is hardly above reproach, he's as fair game as James Ford's wife or Julian's, er, everything. IMO

I missed The Evens, and while I'm glad that piece of DC history was represented, sort of, if they sucked they sucked. IMO. Every show has its highs and low. IMO

In answer to your first round.

Yes. Obviously. I'm aware of that. Did not know 'that' about James Ford's wife . And yes it was IMO. Thought I would just stress that point. Sorry it offended you.

I agree every show has it's highs and lows. But in my naive, puritanical mind, I just assumed this would be one show that would be given a pass from anything negative because of how great it was, and what it stood for  overall. Obviously I was wrong. Definitely not just about The EVENS, more for ALL the nitpicky complaints I have read. So continue to flame me guys, this is the last I'm going to comment on the subject.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #631 on: June 03, 2010, 03:55:20 pm »
Wow you sure give up fast.

redsock

« Reply #632 on: June 03, 2010, 03:59:25 pm »
Yeah, it's like poking a dead animal with a stick.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #633 on: June 03, 2010, 04:44:01 pm »
But in my naive, puritanical mind, I just assumed this would be one show that would be given a pass from anything negative 

Your mistake is in thinking that independent/critical thinking is a "negative" thing that sometimes requires a "pass."  Now run along and practice your Fugazi dance.

_\|/_

walkonby

« Reply #634 on: June 03, 2010, 04:49:21 pm »
now i wished i had attended so i too could contribute to this new, last pulse topic of a thread i thought was near dead "a minute" ago.

dyecraig

« Reply #635 on: June 03, 2010, 05:44:45 pm »
my first hearing of the dischord sound was seeing the evens @ fort reno in 2005 and i think they are amazing.  real hooks, harmonies, dynamics, arrangements, musicality.   you get older, you sit down, you say more with less - what's wrong with that?  i've gone back to check what i've missed, and it's incredible as well, but this is just  a more mature thing.

atomicfront

« Reply #636 on: June 03, 2010, 06:23:55 pm »
my first hearing of the dischord sound was seeing the evens @ fort reno in 2005 and i think they are amazing.  real hooks, harmonies, dynamics, arrangements, musicality.   you get older, you sit down, you say more with less - what's wrong with that?  i've gone back to check what i've missed, and it's incredible as well, but this is just  a more mature thing.

I  have seen former Mackaye projects like Embrace and Fugazi and they never did anything for me.  The Evans seem all right. 

Really I think Clutch is one of the worst bands I have ever seen but people on here seem to like them so go figure.  Different people like different stuff. 

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #637 on: June 03, 2010, 06:47:19 pm »
  real hooks, harmonies, dynamics, arrangements, musicality.   you get older, you sit down, you say more with less - what's wrong with that?  i've gone back to check what i've missed, and it's incredible as well, but this is just  a more mature thing.

yes, it has all of those things, and intellectually I can watch them play and say "that's impressive."  And it still does nothing for me.  Music for me is more than the sum of the pieces, and something's missing there.   The "keep it to yourself" attitude of fans like Davyboy certainly doesn't help, but that's not the main factor.

It's definitely not "just a more mature thing."   

_\|/_

Got Haggis?

« Reply #638 on: June 03, 2010, 09:44:35 pm »
well, I now know at least one reason I wasn't able to win an invite to tthis......this email arrived in my inbox today:

30rsvp@930.com
    SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<30rsvp@930.com>:
    host smtp-1.his.com [216.194.192.167]: 451 4.2.0 <30rsvp@930.com>:
    Recipient address rejected: Greylisting in effect - you can deliver your mail for 930.com in 300 seconds ...:
    retry timeout exceeded

haha awesome, so my email never went through. ugh.

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #639 on: June 04, 2010, 11:42:50 am »
Never heard of The Evens and I liked them.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #640 on: June 04, 2010, 01:04:14 pm »
Hate to ask - but what't the name fo the first song the Evens played?

I thought it was great.  The songs that followd were just ok.

Mobius

« Reply #641 on: June 04, 2010, 02:15:29 pm »
Nothing really new to add, but thanks to all the people behind the 9:30.  A thing that sort of struck me about the Anniversary show (probably more accurately 'Reunion Show' as it felt not unlike a family or school reunion) was that there seemed to be a pervading positive vibe - an affection born from the varying shared histories of the crowd with the Club and/or each other and by extension DC - and each performance served to illuminate (or be illuminated by) that sense of affection.  I got there at 7:30ish to the sound of 'Windfall' over the PA and everything that followed - literally everything . . .through to BT playing a nice high energy set to a handful of people) was thoughtful, inspired and cool.  After Henry Rollins intro, seeing Ian McKaye grooving to Trouble Funk didn't seem the least bit strange (although the thought of Rayful Edmund grooving to the Beach Boys on the Mall July 4 did cross my mind as an equivalent) . . .and at the end of a night where diverse musical styles seemed unified, it made perfect sense.  I'll just add that while I enjoyed every set, I thought Bob Mould in particular crushed it. 

leafblower

« Reply #642 on: June 04, 2010, 03:31:48 pm »
More photos here:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/gallery/2010/06/01/GA2010060101821.html

I'll have the full set up tomorrow.
These are great-- we can see ourselves in the TF audience shot.  Any chance of purchasing 8 by 10s or so?

Sorry for not following up sooner.  Busy week.  You can see more of my photos and purchase prints here:
http://www.photoshelter.com/c/kylegustafson/gallery/9-30-Club-30th-Anniversary-Concert/G0000JhlMXm3hibc/

dyecraig

« Reply #643 on: June 04, 2010, 04:39:06 pm »
the first evens tune was 'cut from the cloth' from 'get evens' (their 2nd cd).
anyone hear anything about a 3rd?

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #644 on: June 04, 2010, 11:00:25 pm »
Thanks for naming that tune.

And damn leafblower's pics are awesome.