Author Topic: good to be back  (Read 4974 times)

walkonby

good to be back
« on: April 29, 2010, 10:45:56 am »
after nine days of following widespread panic from dc to raleigh to richmond, with the hotels, and the drinking, and the meeting of strangers who seem to only love to talk about how many shows they have been to and what songs they want played that evening, and the "what seemed like non stop partying from the moment i awoke to the times i passed out", and actually getting around to enjoy the highlights of richmond's carytown/shockoe/downtown area with it so trying being alexandria's old town meets georgetown but still very nice (i thought of julian as i ventured) . . . it is, yes, "great, just great" to be back and catching up on my reading of the forum funnies.  the hole thread hit the spot.  and i suspected this before, but after another return, if the national in richmond was in dc instead . . . i don't think seth would win "best club" anymore.  the national destroys nine thirty in everyway.  i think the fact that it so obvious the nine thirty oversells its sold out shows really has put a bad taste in my mouth about the place.

James Ford

Re: good to be back
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 10:48:27 am »
Stop going to shows that attract fat middle aged men and start going to shows that attract cute skinny girls, and the sold out shows won't seem so packed.

Oh, and welcome back. Now how do we prevent Markie from leaving again?

national destroys nine thirty in everyway.  i think the fact that it so obvious the nine thirty oversells its sold out shows really has put a bad taste in my mouth about the place.

fatskippy

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 10:49:21 am »
It's gotten to the point that a band has to be one of my favorites for me to deal with a sold out show at 9:30 nowadays.  The overselling there is absurd.

walkonby

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 10:53:00 am »
Stop going to shows that attract fat middle aged men and start going to shows that attract cute skinny girls, and the sold out shows won't seem so packed.

Oh, and welcome back. Now how do we prevent Markie from leaving again?

national destroys nine thirty in everyway.  i think the fact that it so obvious the nine thirty oversells its sold out shows really has put a bad taste in my mouth about the place.

it was amusing.  in raleigh, it was like it was raining hot girls; they were everywhere and in very little clothes.  but in richmond, total sausage party.

hutch

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 11:59:20 am »
Good to be anywhere!

Guess I haven't been to a super sold out show at the 930 in a while....

Went to the National a couple of weeks ago for Ween and I was suprised how quickly we made it down once we exited DC. Its a nice place but there are a few better things about the 930 for sure.. the side bars at the National are almost apart from the show..at the 930 the bars are very much still in plain view...

I'll have to think of some more..

blinkboy

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 12:26:25 pm »
those poor hippies are always bein picked on!!!

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 03:06:22 pm »
You were gone?
27>34

wml7

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 03:08:41 pm »
after nine days of following widespread panic from dc to raleigh to richmond, with the hotels, and the drinking, and the meeting of strangers who seem to only love to talk about how many shows they have been to and what songs they want played that evening, and the "what seemed like non stop partying from the moment i awoke to the times i passed out", and actually getting around to enjoy the highlights of richmond's carytown/shockoe/downtown area with it so trying being alexandria's old town meets georgetown but still very nice (i thought of julian as i ventured) . . . it is, yes, "great, just great" to be back and catching up on my reading of the forum funnies.  the hole thread hit the spot.  and i suspected this before, but after another return, if the national in richmond was in dc instead . . . i don't think seth would win "best club" anymore.  the national destroys nine thirty in everyway.  i think the fact that it so obvious the nine thirty oversells its sold out shows really has put a bad taste in my mouth about the place.

you should have hung out with Julian while you were in Richmond  ;D  and what?? no cat photo?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 03:17:43 pm by wml7 »

walkonby

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 03:30:40 pm »
the thing about the undercover abc people . . . i do have one beef with the national regarding this.  i too was a victim of the "the man" second night.  on day one at national, my friends and i (plus half the crowd) were drinking beer out of red cups before the show.  no body said shit.  no body from the venue (or all 20 of the security out front) told anybody to stop drinking.  so on second show day, we show up out of hotel shuttle with our red cups in hand, and i not even had taken my first sip before a black guy grabs me by the arm and says "you're coming with me.  i'm undercover abc and i'm giving you a ticket for drinking in public."  after much, "i didn't know sir.  nobody said anything to us last night, blah blah blah" . . . this is what happens:  he asks for my id.  i take out my id.  he takes my id.  then at that very moment in time, a drug bust happens right beside me where the guy breaks free then takes off running from the cop.  very exciting stuff!  the abc dude then takes off running to help the cop catch the hippie, and they are gone.  and the abc guy has my id.  i ditch the beer and wait.  what else could i do?  and i wait for like thirty minutes.  nothing.  i finally go inside and keep checking back with security all night to see if they have seen the abc dude.  i was in panic at panic. 

and i must say that the staff of the national went bent over backwards to make sure i got my id back and i personally thanked every last one of them.  but the kicker was that the abc guy had come into the venue during the show to find me . . . not so much to make sure i got my id or to thank me for waiting him or trying to find him, but to make sure i still got the ticket.  fucker.  but i showed my respect, said thank you very much sir with a big ole smile.

vansmack

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 03:42:53 pm »
Did the National serve you without an ID?
27>34

walkonby

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 03:53:44 pm »
no.  i refused to drink out of spite and anger.  but when i got my id back, i was allowed to get a id band and proceed to drink myself silly.

notme

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 04:14:20 pm »
do the nitrous ballon sellers follow the band from town to town?  warner was hilarious.  hard to believe the authorities do not crack down.

wml7

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2010, 04:31:22 pm »
geez, I hope the National doesn't lose their license for this fiasco  :o