Author Topic: Who is actually a DC native?  (Read 3983 times)

rocknocerous

Who is actually a DC native?
« on: April 29, 2010, 03:18:43 pm »
OK, so I've lived here either in DC or in Nova all my life. In my interactions with people I have found that it seems like everyone has a slightly different view on what it takes to "be from DC". For example, I was born at DC general, but I spent most of my years in Nova where I now live... am I from DC? In an area that is so famous for transient ppl is anyone from the DC/NV/MD area considered to be "from DC?" How many ppl that post on this board are actually "From DC?" and what does that mean to you?

walkonby

Re: Who is actually a DC native?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 03:37:27 pm »
you were born in dc, so you are from dc.  you live in nova . . . so you live in nova.  the end.

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 10:00:02 pm »
I actually listened to the replay of a Senate hearing in my free time the other day, mostly to hear Carl Levin rip those Goldman a-holes new a-holes. May I be bequeathed native status?

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 10:00:45 pm »
you were born in dc, so you are from dc.  you live in nova . . . so you live in nova.  the end.

RACK

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 11:15:45 pm »
I was born in DC, but I've lived in the MD suburbs all my life (not counting college).   I consider myself to be "from" DC, in that it's been a regular part of my life literally since the day I was born - coming up on 45 years.  The only people that usually have a problem with that seem to be the transplants who like to claim some sort of superiority because they've lived in Dupont/Woodley Park for 2 years.

When local people ask where I live - I answer "Silver Spring".  When local people ask where I'm from, I usually just say "here."  When I'm out of town I usually just answer "DC" to both, because it's just easier.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 11:21:48 am »
Born in VA, raised throughout DC and MD and VA. When out of town, I say DC, when in town I'm from Springfield. Does that make me a native? I'd like to think so, but I think assholes are the only ones who say "you're not REALLY from DC". Eh, I'm from DC.

DC i <3 thee.
‼‼?‼‼

hutch

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 11:48:55 am »
Born in VA, raised throughout DC and MD and VA. When out of town, I say DC, when in town I'm from Springfield. Does that make me a native? I'd like to think so, but I think assholes are the only ones who say "you're not REALLY from DC". Eh, I'm from DC.

DC i <3 thee.

A native is someone born and raised in DC..

I know one.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 02:53:28 pm »
 :'(
‼‼?‼‼

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 03:12:35 pm »
Georgetown Univ Hospital

8/27/58

vansmack

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 03:30:16 pm »
Georgetown Univ Hospital

8/27/58

No wonder Silver Spring hates you so much.
27>34

Relaxer

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 05:02:41 pm »
I'm not going to call someone on it, but if you say you live in "DC" and you don't live in the District, then you don't live in DC. I don't care if its Tacoma Park, Rosslyn or any other perfectly fine place. If you live in Arlington, you don't live in DC. I'm not a native but this October it will be 19 years since I began living in the city. I mean, I've met people from Culpepper who say they live in DC.
oword

IamHydrogen

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 06:29:58 pm »
These 10 posts are what is wrong with DC, in a nutshell.

Very few people are actually from here, no one is worthy of calling themselves a native, and your suburb (no matter how cosmopolitan) doesn't qualify you as a member of the city.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 06:48:15 pm »
Hydrogen, did you even read the thread?   A bunch of people just said they were born here.

I've lived in DC since 1989 and the Maryland burbs before that -- I wasn't born here but I think I've probably got a better claim to this city than most people sporting DC flag t-shirts.    After all, a girl i once knew had sex on the roof of d.c. space.

Not that it matters one bit.
_\|/_

vansmack

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2010, 08:28:20 pm »
I think hydogen is what's wrong with DC.  Too much of it.
27>34

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2010, 02:45:47 pm »
Georgetown Univ Hospital

8/27/58

No wonder Silver Spring hates you so much.

I was actually brought home to Silver Spring from the hospital

true