Author Topic: NEWBIE OF DRIVING IN D.C NEEDS HELP  (Read 14074 times)

CoheedFan

NEWBIE OF DRIVING IN D.C NEEDS HELP
« on: May 04, 2010, 10:50:29 pm »
Yes, I am gearing up for a drive to the Club at the end of the month for "COHEED AND CAMBRIA" SHOW. And I know how to get there but just need tips and such so I won't get lost or get tickets?? Thanks

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: NEWBIE OF DRIVING IN D.C NEEDS HELP
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 11:17:30 pm »
haven't we already been through this? http://www.930.com/forum/index.php?topic=20336

if you're asking something new, i can't discern it... asking for "tips and such" isn't very helpful.  as that other thread shows, we occasionally try to be helpful - but please meet us halfway.  be clear in what you're asking.

street parking around the club is straight-forward: look at the signs.  if it says no parking, don't park there.  if it says no parking during business hours, and you get there after business hours, you're fine.  another hint: look at what others are doing.  if there are several cars parked along a street, you're probably ok (but check the signs to be sure).

driving in DC isn't much different than driving anywhere else except there might be more traffic and traffic lights, depending where you're from.  i'm sure you'll do fine.
<sig>

walkonby

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 11:52:34 pm »
somehow . . . i think you confused him/her even more.  rule one with the club, buy a parking ticket for their lot.  your vehicle will like you when you get out of the show, because all of it will still be there.  getting to the club the easiest way (in my opinion, because i come from 66 west into the city) is to get onto constitution ave. and turn onto 7th street, northwest direction.  as you head up 7th you will pass the verizon center, and make sure you pay attention to bus lanes, bike riders, people who think, "oh i'll just cross the street here; cars will stop for me."  as you head up 7th in NW, you will pass e street, f street, so on and so on up to p street to s street.  you are looking for this:  s street, then t street, then florida ave., the v street.  you turn left onto v street from 7th.  go down two blocks, club in on left.  turn right onto 9th street (small street almost big enough for only 1 car, right after club) to find parking lot on right.

yeah i helped.

oh, i reread what you said . . . if you don't have tickets, ignore what i said, you're not going anywhere.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 11:56:32 pm by walkonby »

vansmack

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 01:25:57 am »
haven't we already been through this?

Seriously. 

Two words for you:  Common Sense.  Either you've got it or you don't and no amount of advice from this board is going to change that. 

Big cities eat people who lack common sense up, and not because the city is dangerous, but because people who lack common sense are fucking idiots and deserve a ticket/to have their car towed/have their car broken in to.

So think about that and then make a decision.
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 02:12:10 am »
rule one with the club, buy a parking ticket for their lot.  your vehicle will like you when you get out of the show, because all of it will still be there. 

from one country bumpkin to the next, i guess that's good advice. 

i've driven to the club & parked for free on the nearby streets at least... uh, i dunno how many times.  30?  50?  more?  guess how many times i've been broken in to, or even gotten a ticket for that matter?  yup, doughnuts.

another piece of advice: the shows are sold out so you won't be alone looking for parking.  i'd recommend getting there on the early side (say, before the opening act) in order to get something nearby.
<sig>

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 02:53:22 am »

haven't we already been through this? http://www.930.com/forum/index.php?topic=20336

if you're asking something new, i can't discern it... asking for "tips and such" isn't very helpful.  as that other thread shows, we occasionally try to be helpful - but please meet us halfway.  be clear in what you're asking.

street parking around the club is straight-forward: look at the signs.  if it says no parking, don't park there.  if it says no parking during business hours, and you get there after business hours, you're fine.  another hint: look at what others are doing.  if there are several cars parked along a street, you're probably ok (but check the signs to be sure).

driving in DC isn't much different than driving anywhere else except there might be more traffic and traffic lights, depending where you're from.  i'm sure you'll do fine.

Damn. Sourcell!

Yes, get there early for parking. Free street parking opens up after 6:00PM. DC is notorious for it's unpunished smash and grabs so make sure nothing whatsoever is visible inside your car. Obviously, the odds of getting hit any given night are somewhat low, but do be aware that it does happen... a lot. Watch out for the street cleaning signs, especially along Georgia Ave.. Don't remember which nights they go to it. You will be ticketed.

Since it's your first time, you may want to buy a ticket for the parking lot which is guarded but not necessary if you get their early or are very diligent about driving around looking for a spot if it's a busy night. It will be if sold out.

If you do not already have tickets, you 'might' find something outside but be aware that they are only allowed to sell them at cost. So, DO NOT support the scalpers! Just in case you can't get tickets, have a back up plan since you'll be in town. Plenty of other options in the neighborhood or just beyond.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 06:56:04 am »
Avoid leaving your iPod or large amounts of cash visible in the parked car.

_\|/_

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 08:25:22 am »
These people are all pulling your leg. Park anywhere, signs be damned, and leave all your nicest possessions on your windshield; you will make people smile by allowing them to see what nice things you own.

Oh, and DC recently got rid of one-way streets but is a little slow in taking down Do Not Enter signs and painting yellow lines down the middle, but go ahead with the insider knowledge that it's all 2-way now. Go get 'em tiger!

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 09:09:41 am »
Damn. Sourcell!

whaaa?!?  i offered advice!  i closed with encouraging words, telling him he'll do fine! 

i played nice!  and i was building character to boot!
<sig>

hemisphire

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 09:35:20 am »
I've been parking in the club's lot since 2003, when I parked on 8th St. and came out to find my car had been broken into and they'd gotten the radio half out of the dash (it never did work right after that).

nkotb

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 09:37:03 am »
The street parking is fine.  I've been driving to the club since it practically opened, and I've never had a single issue with finding a spot or having it broken into.  Smackie's right...common sense goes a long way.  It also doesn't hurt that I drive a shitty car.

James Ford

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 10:18:43 am »
Just have to say...dumb move by Jin last night. If they were childless, it would have been romantic. As it was, it left a little girl orphaned.

But really, who's going to care if they get off the island? All the people viewers cared about are dead. It's looking more and more like Sasquatch and myself are going to be the only ones left.

BookerT

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 11:51:37 am »
Just have to say...dumb move by Jin last night.

dumb move by YOU to not listen to doc - the bomb would've been rendered harmless if you didn't touch it! (most likely.) i think half the viewers care about answers and half care about characters, and probably neither will be happy at the end.

THREADJACK!

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 10:03:24 am »
i played nice!  and i was building character to boot!

(o|o)

walkonby

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 10:09:50 am »
a world according to calvin n hobbes . . . is a good world!