Author Topic: Best and Worst shows at new and old club  (Read 17233 times)

atomicfront

Best and Worst shows at new and old club
« on: May 28, 2010, 11:05:54 am »
Best and worst shows at new and old club:

Worst at old club:

Replacements (Let it be tour late 84 or early 85) - Most of the songs were unrecognizable.  "I will dare" was so bad that I left half way through it.  Week later I saw a band playing an electified wash board and electrified accoustic guitar do a perfect version at DC Space

Flipper - Basically them tuning their guitars over and over.  And the crowd chanting "6 bucks! 6 Bucks!" - the price of admission

The Fall (1985) - Playing basically all new songs. Throwing their equipment around.  Saying everytime they come here the place is always a disaster and saying they would never play the club again. Which turned out to be a lie. 

Best at old Club

Jesus and Mary Chain 1985 - First DC show.  They were known for putting on bad shows at the time but this one was perfect.  With Bobby Gillepsie on drums (primal scream frontman)

Minutemen - I really wasnt into their music but they put on a great show and the crowd was having fun slam dancing even all the girls.  Lead singer dude gave me an "US out of central America" bumpersticker. 

Worst at new club

Sisters of Mercy - most recent appearance at the club.  They sounded awful.  There was so much fog you couldn't see the band. 

Best at the new Club

Dresden Dolls - this band is great every time I see them.

Pulp

Best at WUST pre- 930 days-

Oasis
Suede/Cranberries
Dead Kenedys

StoneTheCrow

Re: Best and Worst shows at new and old club
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 11:49:30 am »
I will only add that my biggest 930 Club disappointment was heading down to the old club in '86 to see the Replacements and finding out the show had been cancelled because Westerberg had allegedly broken his wrist in NYC a day or 2 earlier as a result of a stage dive.  I thought I had later heard that the story was complete bullshit.  Either way.....I never ended up seeing the original line-up.

eros

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 11:53:27 am »
This gives me another chance to tell my "worst show at the club ever" story.

Around 1997, a buddy of mine got tickets to the 930 edition of the "MGD Blind Date" shows that were going on at the time where you'd get to see some huge act play in a small venue.  There were all sorts of rumors as to who it was going to be from Smashing Pumpkins to Foo Fighters to the Stones (who were just getting ready to start a tour).

We sat through some opener and the DJ from DC101 comes out and says "Get ready DC!  Here they are!  Seven Mary Three!!!!"  Ugh.  We left after 2 or 3 songs - at least it was free.

To this day I still believe there was a real headliner who backed out at the last second and they scrounged up these guys as a replacement.  No one from the club has ever confirmed it of course.
ʎɐʍou

Mr.Whippy

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 12:12:57 pm »
I haven't lived here very long (since 2005), but here are mine:

Best - Iggy and the Stooges, hands down.

Worst - The Patterson Hoodless Drive-By Truckers (Opening band played for over 90 minutes, putting the show way off schedule, then the Truckers were a train wreck that night).

bearman🐻

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 12:32:31 pm »
Wow, great thread.

Worst old club:
It wasn't the worst show I've ever seen, but the The Orb played and I think it was one of the times where they could have benefitted from a bigger venue. It was claustrophic and you couldn't see a thing.

Best old club:
The Jesus Lizard

Honorable Mentions:
Teenage Fanclub w/Yo La Tengo, Helmet w/Jawbox, Charlatans UK, Carter U.S.M.

Most Memorable:
Paw...they set their drums on fire and Grant (or was it Peter?) Fitch would put his guitar down to crowd surf. It was insane. Same thing with Pop Will Eat Itself. It was like the club turned into a giant blender of bodies, sweat, and beer.

Worst new club:
Zero 7 (from about 4 years ago...that sucked beyond words)

Best new club:
Social D (November 2001)
I've seen some great shows, but Mike Ness was in top form this night. It just stands out as being one of those incredible evenings that I'll never forget.

Honorable mentions:
the Chemical Brothers, Kraftwerk, Face to Face, Foo Fighters w/Supergrass, Elliott Smith, Catherine Wheel, PJ Harvey, Air, Queens of the Stone Age, Echo & the Bunnymen, Dismemberment Plan w/Death Cab, Bob Mould, X, Belle & Sebastian, Peaches, Fischerspooner

Most Memorable:
Aphex Twin...bar none

Pre-9:30 Club (when it was WUST):
Stone Roses, Smashing Pumpkins w/Swervedriver

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 12:36:26 pm »
worse:
- stereolab - 2006?  i had really high expectations for the show, and it just blew.  sound was bad, band lacked energy.  
- zero 7: great show, except when Sia took the stage.  she killed it for me.
i'm sure i'm forgetting some.

best:
i've been to a LOT of shows over the past 5 years, and many have been awesome, but i think iggy and the stooges in 2007 stands out as the most mind-blowing.
<sig>

atomicfront

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 12:46:18 pm »

Most Memorable:
Paw...they set their drums on fire and Grant (or was it Peter?) Fitch would put his guitar down to crowd surf. It was insane. Same thing with Pop Will Eat Itself. It was like the club turned into a giant blender of bodies, sweat, and beer.

What year was Pop will eat itself.  I remember going to a show that was supposed to be Pop will eat itself/Gaye Bykers on Acid.  But PWEI cancelled so ended up heading home. 

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 12:59:27 pm »
Best at old club - Bad Brains

Worst at old club...having a hard time on this one. 

Best at new club - Stooges, Nick Cave, Spirtualized.  Every time they've ever played for the latter 2.

Worst at new club - Bad Brains.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 01:51:20 pm »
I only went to the new club, but the worst show was The National. Maybe I just wasn't into it....which I wasnt, but it seemed like the crowd was staring at a painting. Such a painful show to suffer through. It should have been seated because there was nothing else to do but stare at that boring god damn band.

Best show? I loved the last YYYs show, QOTSA in 2005 was amazing, Justice in 2008 was amazing, The Raconteurs on both nights were absolutely amazing, The Presets and Cut/Copy was a great show. I cant think of more, but Ive had amazing times at 930. The new one.
‼‼?‼‼

eltee

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010, 01:53:26 pm »
The Vines at new club (do I recall the right band name? I always forget...Redsock was there he may recall...there was a thread about worst at new club a couple of years ago. Many of us listed them.)
They either opened for someone or it was a triple bill. Nothing to do w/ the club or sound, the band just plain sucked that night.

I think the most hilarious is Ryan Adams' RNR show. You'll just have to ask someone on Monday.

JSBX on NYE w/ Cibo Matto (and Jesus Lizard, right?) was my first and one of my favorites at the new club - great performances and a fun night. '97
(I would like the framed commemorative poster willed to me, please, Seth.;))

I am also partial to the Dylan show at the new club - intimate space to hear him, everyone was so excited too.

My one and only show at the old 930 was Dillon Fence. But, somehow, in one night, I remember everything. (the pole, the phone booth - there was one right? Noticed the smell...and somehow can still remember, even if you only think of it. I know I sat on some car seats, unless I'm making this up. I was, uh, young that night. So fun.)

Despite them being somewhat Top 40 [now], Snow Patrol's first show (at new), was great. Lots of forumites were there and maybe about 65 people total? Blew a speaker and just put on a great rock show.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 02:26:33 pm by Sugartastic Tee »

Relaxer

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2010, 02:17:20 pm »
The Verve in July 95 at the old club was amazing. I actually stumbled on a real rough recording of that show and it confirmed what an amazing night it was
Somehow got roped into seeing The Dude of Life a year or two later and it was by far the worst

As for the new one, the ones that stand out are Guided By Voices when Universal Cycles came out, the Datsuns for rocking a ~100-head crowd like it was Giants Stadium, Doves w/ Strokes opening, and Secret Machines after their second album.

I think Spoon might be the worst I've seen at the new one. Was almost loony at how boring they were.
oword

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2010, 02:25:35 pm »
I only went to the new club, but the worst show was The National.

yeah, that was another dismal show.  i spent it with brennser wondering how a band who gave us such brilliant albums could be so boring on stage.

oh, i got another one: the arctic monkeys blew chunks.  y'all know me, i'm a concert addict.  the arctic monkeys are the first band, ever, to make me say "i'd never go see them again".  they somehow managed to be both pretentious and boring.  if you're going to throw around that much attitude, you better have the performance to back it up.  they didn't.

if we're going to throw out honorable mentions, how about: polyphonic spree, pink (yes, seriously), EITS, hot chip (all three shows), zz top, ben gibbard acoustic.
<sig>

eltee

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2010, 02:27:08 pm »
:) Thanks 930 for our modify button.
Monkey and kitten, sweetie for you:
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 03:12:36 pm by Sugartastic Tee »

killsaly

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2010, 02:38:40 pm »
The best shows I have seen at the new club (I was a wee child in Louisiana for the old clubs run):
Polyphonic Spree for the Fragile Army tour (simply magical)
Low for Drums and Guns tour (small crowd, awesome sound and vibe)
Scissor Sisters for Ta Dah tour (just a whole lot of fun)

There are a bunch more, but those are the top three that jump out to me.

As for worst, I cant really think of any that were horrible. 

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2010, 02:39:26 pm »
yeah, i caught that as soon as i hit "post" :)
<sig>