Author Topic: shooting near the club tonight  (Read 23442 times)

Ardamus

• Ardamus
Re: shooting near the club tonight
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2010, 09:43:11 am »
Never be surprised about what can go down around the uptown area. Especially with it being close to Howard. Years ago, even before I moved here, I remember U Street was not even an area to walk around in. Even before you saw Allero's, Ulah, and etc. It sucks but this is DC. If you read the paper everyday then you know whats up.

Which is exactly why Walkie doesn't like to do his walking in the neighborhood. But yeah, I remember a time when I didn't even like driving around Florida Avenue! Way back then, I use to always get lost in DC on my way home and would end up around there every single time! It's so much better now but that doesn't mean that it's Spic & Span clean either. Let's just say that it's much, much better but not some Metropolitan Disneyland. Now I feel totally safe driving and safe enough to walk around by myself to some degree. However, always wise to continue bringing your street smarts along with you while venturing into any part of DC; or any city, for that matter. The complete deniers kill me. They are full of so much bravado and almost deserve some sort of incident to happen to them to set them straight. I'm just not mean enough though to remove that word 'almost'.

You pretty much nailed it. Alot of transplants who are on that bravado shit look at DC like a playground until they a closer look at whats going on with the city. Let those be in denial all they want. Just because big developers came in and gentrified what used to look like chocolate city doesn't mean this place got completely safe. All what happened was some things got destroyed, something else got rebuilt, and a new price tag has been placed on a historic area. But just wait....it'll change again.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2010, 10:16:14 am »
Is it wrong to feel safe? Like we shouldn't enjoy walking through the streets? You are making it sound like we all deserve to get stabbed. Of course I'm still careful when walking around, but nowhere near as skecthed out as I was, say, 7 or 8 years ago.
‼‼?‼‼

James Ford

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2010, 10:40:41 am »
What about his post would make you say that?

Is it wrong to feel safe? Like we shouldn't enjoy walking through the streets? You are making it sound like we all deserve to get stabbed. Of course I'm still careful when walking around, but nowhere near as skecthed out as I was, say, 7 or 8 years ago.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2010, 11:06:17 am »
What about his post would make you say that?

"Let those be in denial all they want. Just because big developers came in and gentrified what used to look like chocolate city doesn't mean this place got completely safe. All what happened was some things got destroyed, something else got rebuilt, and a new price tag has been placed on a historic area. But just wait....it'll change again."

It's not denial, it's definetly not the safest place in the world, but there are way worse places in DC. Gentrification ftw.
‼‼?‼‼

walkonby

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2010, 11:16:54 am »
uhmm . . . you don't get stabbed in dc.  that would require balls of the perp to be able to get that close to the victim.  shoot them from a distance makes you a "real man."  just ask the military.

Ardamus

• Ardamus
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2010, 11:38:49 am »

You should always want to feel safe. But if you're happy-go-lucky drunk and acting dumb as hell in DC (especially in certain parts of the city), best believe you increase your chances of attracting the wrong kind of attention. And other times, its these crazy kids who want to start shit or ex-cons who just got released going back to their old habits. With innocent folks getting hurt in this midst of it.

And no one deserves it. Thats not what I'm saying. Look at what I said again. I mentioned nowhere that people who move into these new gentrified areas deserve that. It goes beyond the crimewave in the city. My main thing is the denial of what people think this city used to be because we got these new spots built now.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 11:42:46 am by Ardamus »

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2010, 02:06:59 pm »
I understand that, listening to some housewives at Nats Park talk about how rundown the area surrounding the park and why they don't fix it up was enfuriating. They absolutely never realized how... not nice it is there. Some people just never realize I guess.
‼‼?‼‼

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2010, 02:37:13 pm »
I understand that, listening to some housewives at Nats Park talk about how rundown the area surrounding the park and why they don't fix it up was enfuriating. They absolutely never realized how... not nice it is there. Some people just never realize I guess.

Yeah, that's because they were never down there before the Park was built. Yeah, leave it to a couple of housewives to not have a fucking clue in general, nevertheless about the economy and urban commercial development. And christ, it's not even a hellhole in Near SE anyway. "Clean it up?" Southwest of the park where James Creek, Buzzard Point and even Greenleaf Gardens to the west are the areas that need to be "cleaned up," not Near SE. Near SE just needs some development.

Go fuck yourselves, bimbos.

nkotb

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2010, 02:46:33 pm »
TMUL's delivers.

Ardamus

• Ardamus
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2010, 03:52:00 pm »

Yeah, that's because they were never down there before the Park was built. Yeah, leave it to a couple of housewives to not have a fucking clue in general, nevertheless about the economy and urban commercial development. And christ, it's not even a hellhole in Near SE anyway. "Clean it up?" Southwest of the park where James Creek, Buzzard Point and even Greenleaf Gardens to the west are the areas that need to be "cleaned up," not Near SE. Near SE just needs some development.

Another good point. And I live in SE. I'm in Anacostia so I see the development they're plotting to do. That stuff with the stadium is just the beginning. Wait until they hit up Good Hope Road. If I'm not mistaken, its part of that whole Waterfront makeover.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2010, 08:35:53 am »

First of all, I'm an Howard alumni; don't twist up what I'm saying. I know a bit more about the neighborhood than you'd know. For example, the freshman dorm for the guys, Drew Hall, is two streets away from Hobart which used to be (and still sort of is) a notorious block for all kinds of shit. Second of all, don't joke about that happening around in the area of Howard University. Do your research and you'll find out about crimes that took place outside of the campus area of where Howard is. Have you ever walked around Columbia Rd at night? How about taking trip up Georgia Ave. NW towards Petiworth around 1am like you're on your way to the Penthouse? Do some of those things and get back to me. When I used to go around those parts, anything could happen uptown. Don't sleep.

I still don't get why you're saying that Howard is the cause of all that, which is what your post basically said.    Anyway I haven't been up that way on Georgia since the Foxy Playground got shut down.

_\|/_

• my blog
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2010, 08:37:16 am »
uhmm . . . you don't get stabbed in dc.  that would require balls of the perp to be able to get that close to the victim.  shoot them from a distance makes you a "real man."  just ask the military.

the NRA is coming for you...

anyway, some dood got stabbed right outside my window.  Just sayin.

_\|/_

walkonby

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2010, 09:31:34 am »
you know . . . if a white person had said what ardamus said . . . man this place would still be exploding with, "you're a racist.  ban the person from the boards."

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2010, 10:42:18 am »

I think we should introduce "Ardamus" as a verb meaning "to completely cut through the hysterical 9:30 forum bullshit with actual life experiences."   Well played, sir.

Shootings outside the club are WAY too "real life" for most of the denizens here.  They prefer to discuss really important matters like the quality of their $80 Merriweather seats....(always relevant) "Smashing Pumpkins" presales...white guys loving soccer/hockey....how f*cking HILARIOUS Conan O'Brien is..........and i phones.

Please don't cause them to lose their focus.

Brian

• my blog
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2010, 11:08:31 am »
you know . . . if a white person had said what ardamus said . . . man this place would still be exploding with, "you're a racist.  ban the person from the boards."

If a straight person says "that's gay," do you take it differently than if a gay person says it?

_\|/_