Author Topic: 9:30 Club Sues Over Subsidies for Planned Live Nation Venue in Silver Spring  (Read 37697 times)

notme

dc needs a bigger venue than 930?  what about gaston hall? mcdonough gym? smith center? bender arena? crampton auditorium?  ritchie coliseum? dc armory? lisner?  strathmore?  how often are you going to use a new venue of that size?  once a week?  how often are there shows at dar or warner? dc ain't nyc.

wml7

are we all going to have a get together at this new venue?  ;D

azaghal1981

'JA' thread posts for this venue should be yanked and those who post them should be banned.
احمد

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
all successful businesses are owned by rapacious businesspeople.... even those with lovey/dovey hippie facades.    In fact, those are the worst because they're all "ommm" while at the same time figuring out the best way to stick it to someone before it gets stuck to them.   Just look at Steve Jobs, he's all new-agey with his turtlenecks but if you find the next generation Iphone in a bar, he'll have a SWAT team kicking your door in.    You have to be like that just to survive let alone get ahead.

So yeah, cringe-inducing public Ayn Rand invocations aside, Seth is well within his rights... it would be foolish not to sue.

_\|/_

Sir HC

Look at Ramshead Live.  That is a 2k place, and it is often very "unfull".

atomicfront

I live in Baltimore and I hate Ramshead.  Worst place to see a show anywhere.  Bad sight lines and too freaking crowded.  They make you wait in line until well after the opener starts.  I haven't gone in two years.  I will be seeing Dead Weather there so hopefully it has improved.  Really that placed makes me angry just thinking about it.

Sir HC

I live in Baltimore and I hate Ramshead.  Worst place to see a show anywhere.  Bad sight lines and too freaking crowded.  They make you wait in line until well after the opener starts.  I haven't gone in two years.  I will be seeing Dead Weather there so hopefully it has improved.  Really that placed makes me angry just thinking about it.

Somewhat better, I was just there for a couple shows, and while it is still annoying on the floor that the right flown PA is not audiable, the overall experience has improved, even for sold out shows.

hutch

great just great.

;D

Mobius

I would think if you're the typre of person who likes to tuck his shirt into his pleated chinos on the weekend and you're looking forward to reading a jack welch on business book at the beach this summer you could get behind ike legett and live nations visionary business synergies.  And you would be wrong.

Bags

But this whole "capitalism needs to be fair" is beyond ridiculous... Capitalism is not a sport Seth.

Of course there should not be subsidies in this case UNLESS the city of SIlver SPring or whatever it is can demonstrate that the benefits to the city will outweigh the subsidy...They presumably have to do this to their citizens (voters) or they will be run out of office.

Again Seth, are you against the city of DC subsidizing the Lincoln Theatre? Why not express your outrage and refuse to book at the place? Oh, because they don't directly compete with you? Are you against subsidizing Ben's Chili Bown in spite of  its historic nature? Why have their 50th party at the 930 then? WHat about the guy who is trying to compete with Ben's? Are you suing on his behalf? (Note: I am not saying I am for or against any subsidy) What about the Howard Theater?
My job is to advocate for competitive markets for a particular industry.  It is not capitalism, or competition, if the playing field is not level.  That is what Seth is suing over, and I believe he's right to do so.  A full, open RFP to assess the true costs of each project is reasonable and should be required.  Yes, of course competition is never in a pure state, but there are certain basic elements that should be assumed -- a fair, transparent bidding process, for instance.

It's a deflection to call Seth out for not opposing subsidies for other entities.  It's not his job to try to make the entire world safe for competition, but it makes sense to do so for that part of the world in which he works every day and has invested 30 years of dedication.  Sure it helps to keep LN in particular from building the Fillmore -- not only for the subsidies, but because they are a national monopoly -- both a vertical and horizontal monopoly -- that exert their market power at every turn.  In this sitch, it's the subsidies that Seth can go after legally and, I believe, rightly.

That it is politicians who are voted in to office making these decisions is no excuse -- I would bet big that 99.5% of the voters in Silver Spring are not voting based on how the Fillmore is being handled, but a whole host of other issues that are important to their daily lives.  Ditto that it is not the Fillmore that causes citizens to exclaim, "we have to throw these bums out!"  Well, until the project runs $25 million over budget and the city is responsible, but then it will be too late and any action or vote would be ex post, and useless.

James Ford

And I would think you're the type of 40 year old dork who runs around wearing a mohawk and an Exploited t-shirt.  :D

I would think if you're the typre of person who likes to tuck his shirt into his pleated chinos on the weekend and you're looking forward to reading a jack welch on business book at the beach this summer you could get behind ike legett and live nations visionary business synergies.  And you would be wrong.

atomicfront

Illinois states attorney is looking into sueing Lollapalooza over anti-trust violations over its radius clause.  This is potentially something that could be brought against the 930 club because it keeps bands out of Baltimore using the same thing.

I think that has a much more realistic chance of results coming out of it.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Doubtful

because if you read this story you'll see it's a standard practice, it's just more aggressive than usual on the part of the lollapalooza organizers.

http://blogs.vocalo.org/jderogatis/2010/06/breaking-illinois-attorney-general-investigating-lollapalooza-for-anti-trust/27523
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 10:16:55 am by kosmo vinyl »
T.Rex

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
And I would think you're the type of 40 year old dork who runs around wearing a mohawk and an Exploited t-shirt.  :D

LOL to both these posts :D
_\|/_