Author Topic: YYY roll call and question  (Read 17493 times)

beedubyah

Re: YYY roll call and question
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2006, 09:18:00 am »
YYY's are basically a poor man's Metric.

« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2006, 09:22:00 am »
Cost of ticket to YYY:$25
 Cost of ticket to Metric:$15 (I think)

So you have it backwards.

Originally posted by beedubyah:

Chevy Chase

« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2006, 09:36:00 am »
Originally posted by lbcardoni:
  All in all I thought it was a good show...Interesting to see Karen and Nick interact on stage...What was the third song they asked the crowd if they wanted to hear as the final song that no one cheered for?

It seemed to me that Nick got into the old songs more than the new ones.

A few crowd Highlight:  the young kid, maybe 12, in the slim fit jeans, air force ones, and the black hoodie.  so young, yet so jaded...and the drunk guy in the yankees shirt that kept making a butterfly with his hands and let his friends spit beer on him.
Song no one cheered for was "Porcelain."  I suspect this was because no one recognized the title -- it's the "hidden" track at the end of Fever To Tell.  They ended up playing it anyway as their second encore.

Driveway

« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2006, 09:47:00 am »
You can download the show on NPR.com.  I had been looking forward to this show for a while, the sound was so awful though and the energy was kinda low.  That 'low-tone' feedback was killing me.  It was so annoying, and the fact that the mix was mostly snare drum and vocals was terrible.  YYY are a LOUD guitar band and I could barely even hear the guitars.  I love the new record, but this show was such a let down... The main set clocked in at 42 minutes.  It was a little over an hour with the encore.  I want to see them again but not at 9:30 Club if it is going to sound so awful.  On a related note, the mix on the NPR download sounds great...  So odd.  It's like two different concerts.

SalParadise

« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2006, 09:53:00 am »
Originally posted by anarchist:
  i was not impressed. i think they jumped the shark.  their best material is behind them.  they used to be one of the wildest, loudest, edgyest bands around.  granted i have not seen them in 2 yrs, but their old material is best.  as for the sound, it was pretty bad.  how can the arctic monkeys sound so good from first note to last and the yyy's sound so bad thru the same system? must be the soundman.
yep. not much they could do about the bad sound (i felt bad for that sound guy, he spent the entire hour completely frustrated), but not even impeccable sound can save those new songs.

the guitar sounded like it was muffled by a thousand pillows.

Bags

« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2006, 09:59:00 am »
Originally posted by Chevy Chase:
 Song no one cheered for was "Porcelain."  I suspect this was because no one recognized the title -- it's the "hidden" track at the end of Fever To Tell.  They ended up playing it anyway as their second encore.
Which is too bad -- they should have ended with "Date with the Night," even though it would have meant a set of less than an hour.

I thought it was an okay show -- there were a couple really good songs/performances, but I think generally I decided that I'm just so-so with the band overall.  Even with the albums, there are a few songs I really like, and as many or more that I can do without.  Not enough melody to carry many of the songs through for me.

I haven't seen YYYs since the Black Cat show with the Kills, three years ago nearly to the day.  I wondered if Karen O was going to 'mainstream' her performance a bit.  She has (no beer spewing last night), but she was daggone crazy back then.  Though a friend who saw them in NYC a month ago said that show was much crazier from her, with the full mic swallows, etc.  That was a Saturday night, and her parents were in the audience to impress.    ;)

Darth Ed

« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2006, 10:25:00 am »
This was my first time seeing the YYYs. I had had a ticket to their show at the 9:30 Club a couple years ago on the "Fever to Tell" tour, but I couldn't attend due to a family member being in the hospital. Anyway, I was rather underwhelmed, which is all the more disappointing because I've really been enjoying their new album, "Show Your Bones," lately. (I disagree with amnesiac above; I think "Show Your Bones" is their best album yet.)

The concert started off well enough, but Karen O. just seemed lose momentum as the opening set wore on, and her limited vocal range became more and more evident and seemingly more pronounced outside of the context of the albums. She gets by on attitude and showmanship for the most, which count for a lot in a rock band frontperson. The opening set ended with a couple of lackluster performances on otherwise excellent songs. The encore didn't start off any better, unfortunately. The first encore did finish with one of the best performances of the night which rallied the audience into forcing the YYYs come back out for a second encore, which I found rather dissatisfying, ending the show on a low point. I agree with Bags that they shouldn't have even come out for the second encore. And, for a band with three albums of material, the concert was way too short. Overall, probably the most disappointing and unsatisfying concert I've been to in almost a year.

ledererk

« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2006, 10:41:00 am »
I have to say I disagree with some of the posts here...I thought the show was at least moderately entertaining, definitely not "disappointing," although maybe I wasn't expecting all THAT much.  There was some annoying feedback at times, but I didn't think the sound was all that terrible, at least from where I spent most of the night, in the balcony.  I've heard much worse sound at both the 930 and the Black Cat.  The YYYs aren't my favorite band and I think some of their songs are a bit weak, but they brought the energy and gave an overall good performance.  They didn't blow me away or anything, but I had a good time and the crowd seemed pretty into it.

Chip Chanko

« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2006, 11:12:00 am »
This is how I felt, maybe it was a better show from the balcony (where I was for once, too). Maybe it would have been a louder show if the extra guy played on more songs instead of kneeling down and slapping his thighs.

Originally posted by kled:
  I have to say I disagree with some of the posts here...I thought the show was at least moderately entertaining, definitely not "disappointing," although maybe I wasn't expecting all THAT much.  There was some annoying feedback at times, but I didn't think the sound was all that terrible, at least from where I spent most of the night, in the balcony.  I've heard much worse sound at both the 930 and the Black Cat.  The YYYs aren't my favorite band and I think some of their songs are a bit weak, but they brought the energy and gave an overall good performance.  They didn't blow me away or anything, but I had a good time and the crowd seemed pretty into it.

amnesiac

« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2006, 11:13:00 am »
Originally posted by Darth Ed:
  I disagree with amnesiac above; I think "Show Your Bones" is their best album yet
I think you meant anarchist.  I really like the new album, more than "Fever to Tell"

I was really excited for this show, but like most everyone else, I wasn't too impressed.  I hadn't seen YYYs live before and had some high expectations. It was a little too low energy, and not enough stuff from "Fever". I would like to have heard "Y Control"

Darth Ed

« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2006, 11:15:00 am »
Originally posted by amnesiac:

Originally posted by Darth Ed:
  I disagree with amnesiac above; I think "Show Your Bones" is their best album yet
I think you meant anarchist.  I really like the new album, more than "Fever to Tell"[/b]
My apologies! I knew it started with an "a"....

Relaxer

« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2006, 11:16:00 am »
Originally posted by Bags:

Originally posted by Chevy Chase:
 [qb]
 I haven't seen YYYs since the Black Cat show with the Kills, three years ago nearly to the day.  I wondered if Karen O was going to 'mainstream' her performance a bit.  She has (no beer spewing last night), but she was daggone crazy back then.  Though a friend who saw them in NYC a month ago said that show was much crazier from her, with the full mic swallows, etc.  That was a Saturday night, and her parents were in the audience to impress.     ;)  [/b]
I remember that BC show with the Kills, and thought it was good. I saw them one other time at BC as the 3rd band, but I can't remember who the headliner was (Sahara Hotnights?) That was when Karen was in her beer-on-her-bosom stage. Good times.

I thought the show was okay, too brief though. They should have played 2-3 more songs from Fever to Tell (though hearing 'Bang' was kind of fun). I kept wishing that the guitar was louder, and it sounds like it was a common thought.

I felt almost nothing for Blood on the Wall. It sounded like the guy was trying to channel Udo Dirkschneider from Accept with his multi-tone screech. I can't imagine them being anything but an opening band.
oword

TomJaworski

« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2006, 12:10:00 pm »
You must live in the bizarro world.

Tom Servo

« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2006, 12:36:00 pm »
This was my first time seeing the band or listening to their music at any length, and I thought it was a pretty good show.  I noticed some sound issues but they didn't overwhelm me.  It seems like the further back you were the better the sound was, and I didn't have a point of comparison anyway.  I agree with Darth Ed that Karen's attitude and performance ability overcome her vocal limitations. She's not much to listen to but fun to watch.  

Definitely thought it was a short set and that they peaked early.  That first song was probably my favorite.  I liked the final song ok, but they probably could have ended on a higher note.  I did like the fact that the second encore at least seemed spontaneous.  Don't know if they were responding to the crowd or if they just felt like playing that particular song, but it's nice to mix it up.  There's no suspense in encores anymore.

Good crowd - knowledgeable and energetic.

lukiedookie89

« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2006, 01:17:00 pm »
I was in the balcony as well...and I could hear everything really well.  I guess I got lucky with that decision, because it was the first time I stood at the balcony for a show in almost three years.  
 But the same sort of thing happened the last time Ted Leo played the 9:30.  I was up towards the front and the sound was awful.  I couldn't hear a thing over the guitar.  Hmm..