Author Topic: Hole  (Read 32699 times)

bearman🐻

Re: Hole
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2010, 12:48:30 pm »
Funny how the worst shows provide for the best reviews. Well done. Classic.

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2010, 01:05:14 pm »
My God! No wonder Kurt killed himself.

(Somewhat) early in the concert she went through and tried to remember all the songs on "Live Through This."  She initially thought there was a song called "Live Through This" (actaully "Asking For It") and when she settled on "Rock Star" she spent minutes trying to remember the chords.  That doesn't exactly help her case when accused that Kurt wrote that album.

She also changed the end of "Miss World" ("can't look you in the eye") to "I'm the one who should have died."  I normally would think that's....but I just read an article about Vic Chesnutt's suicide and thought it was sad.

This concert would make a great bootleg.  Not the music.  Just the between song mutterings...

Brian

Vas Deferens

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2010, 01:21:09 pm »

What a total disrespect for the audience to have her assistant "film" right next to her....wow...

I enjoyed one and a half song....."Jennifer's Body" and an abridged version of "Olympia". Wish I stayed thru the encore but it was just too late. A friend actually left before they went on stage...I should have done that and went to see THE POINTS instead!
(_|_)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2010, 01:29:30 pm »
<sig>

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2010, 01:39:05 pm »
You know, if I had $45 to flush down the toilet and all the time in the world on a Sunday night, I too almost wish that I were there just to witness the train wreck. Ideally, hanging out with Doom and Chaz laughing and chatting away off in the back or some corner of the club where we wouldn't be bothering other attendees. Something tells me that there were plenty of safe pockets like that last night.

Sir HC

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2010, 01:44:36 pm »
Not her assistant.  Not with the entourage.  A local.

When she actually cranked through a song with the band, they were tight, she could scream the scream, and it rocked.  But it reminded me of a Superdrag show where John was slightly tipsy and talkative.  Show would hang until he got through his thoughts, and slowed the whole thing down.  I edited those bits out, cutting 10-15 minutes from the show, and that then was amazing.  Could see a one CD version of this show being great.

If you have ever seen the Butthole Surfer's live DVD "Blind Eye Sees All", Gibby's  between song banter from early in their career was very similar to her's.  Same gesturing too.

Bags

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2010, 01:47:07 pm »
Interestingly, very different reviews of her show in Montclair, NJ on Friday.  A friend of mine was there and said it was a great show.  See review in NJ Ledger, which notes, "But Courtney Love didn't screw up any of her guitar parts. She didn't forget any of her choruses. She never lost her place in the set, or looked disoriented during a song. She seemed to grow sharper as the show went on, her natural wit and intelligence emerging in spite of her best efforts to present herself as a chaotic mess. Some purportedly wholesome performers like to pretend they're much cleaner than they are. Courtney Love exaggerates her filth."

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/music/index.ssf/2010/06/hole_at_the_wellmont_theater_i.html

And to add to the frustration, the Jersey show was only $35.

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2010, 01:52:51 pm »

I was at the Montclair show, too.  And it was like night and day.  A good, crisp, clean show.  Sure, she ranted a bit (revealing that the "like a liar at a witch trial, you look good for your age" line from "Plump" is about Kim Gordon.)  But she started and completed actual songs.

She probably knew the 9:30 tix were $10 more and thought to herself: "Hmmmm....what can I give them $10 more of....I know!  CRAZY!"

Brian

betweenloveandlike

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2010, 01:54:43 pm »
The funny part of it is, I shot/saw the Hole set at SXSW this year in March and she was good. The band was tight, it was a solid set, with flashes of briliiance. Last night contained minute flashes of brilliance too (she still has a damn fine rock song scream and can be really funny) but otherwise it was just...."hello deep end my old friend..."

One of the few songs I had never heard but loved was the one she completed start to finish was just before "Sunset Marquis" I think (that's when I left). It was strong but pretty and had the whole band, and she was actually "present" it seemed...anyone know the one I mean?

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2010, 02:32:37 pm »
You know, if I had $45 to flush down the toilet and all the time in the world on a Sunday night, I too almost wish that I were there just to witness the train wreck. Ideally, hanging out with Doom and Chaz laughing and chatting away off in the back or some corner of the club where we wouldn't be bothering other attendees. Something tells me that there were plenty of safe pockets like that last night.

Jaguar, are you on Facebook?  Add me...

http://www.facebook.com/dcalex
_\|/_

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2010, 02:40:43 pm »

Bags

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2010, 02:45:26 pm »
Doom, your friends with Catherine and Bo!  Fun....I've been friends with Catherine so long I call her Katy.  ;)

http://www.facebook.com/dcalex

we have exactly one mutual friend.

Relaxer

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2010, 02:52:48 pm »
And the girl with the Iphone appears to have a nice bod from the pics... if someone's gonna block your view, they might as well be good eye candy, so that's one slightly redeeming thing...

I wouldn't proactively criticize this woman for having the body of a 50-year-old, but I would also appear quizzical at her being described as eye candy with a nice bod.
oword

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2010, 03:27:23 pm »
Relaxer, if your tastes run to flat-bodied adolescents then I can see not understanding what I'm talking about....

Bags, small world  :)

_\|/_

James Ford

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2010, 03:47:49 pm »
I'm with Relaxer on this one.

My tastes vary, and my eye candy wife is definitely not adolescent looking.

Whatever that woman is, she aint eye candy. I guess standing next to Courtney hag will make anybody look a little better though.