Author Topic: The 5 Most Listened To CDs of The Week  (Read 82624 times)

nkotb

Re: The 5 Most Listened To CDs of The Week
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2002, 04:41:00 pm »
Can you blame her?  You all saw the power of that scarf.  It calls to its wearer the love of the ladies AND the fury of the englishmen.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fico:<BR><B> Poor Kurosawa... all she ever wanted was his scarf...<P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2002, 06:08:00 pm »
I tell ya, when I first discovered the Dandy Warhols, I listened to almost nothing but their music for about two months.  I haven't done that since discovering the Pixies.
_\|/_

ggw

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2002, 06:18:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doctor Doom:<BR><B>I tell ya, when I first discovered the Dandy Warhols, I listened to almost nothing but their music for about two months.  I haven't done that since discovering the Pixies.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yes.  I think they are notable for the fact that each album sounds really different from the last.  Dandy's Rule OK was alternately mellow and psychedelic, Come Down was a wall of fuzzy guitars, and 13 Tales was clean and melodic.  I'm really looking forward to the next one which is supposed to be out "early next year."  Supposedly, it's got a good beat and you can dance to it.<BR>

kurosawa-b/w

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2002, 08:28:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ggw:<BR><B> Yes.  I think they are notable for the fact that each album sounds really different from the last.  Dandy's Rule OK was alternately mellow and psychedelic, Come Down was a wall of fuzzy guitars, and 13 Tales was clean and melodic.  I'm really looking forward to the next one which is supposed to be out "early next year."  Supposedly, it's got a good beat and you can dance to it.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>And there's quite a bit of diversity even within 13 Tales (which is a favorite record of mine, too). Think of Godless (swelling, trumpety) versus Solid (witty, vocals-heavy). The lyrics on 13 Tales are especially good. I really love DW and wish more people would take notice of them. Their last show at the 9:30 Club wasn't as crowded as it should have been.<BR>

mankie

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2002, 08:38:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kurosawa-b/w:<BR><B> And there's quite a bit of diversity even within 13 Tales (which is a favorite record of mine, too). Think of Godless (swelling, trumpety) versus Solid (witty, vocals-heavy). The lyrics on 13 Tales are especially good. I really love DW and wish more people would take notice of them. Their last show at the 9:30 Club wasn't as crowded as it should have been.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Hey Kurosawa...can you name 5 bands you don't like...can you even name 1?<P>I'm not taking the pee, in fact, I admire you for your openness to all music and bands.<P>

the robot speaks

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2002, 10:59:00 pm »
Duran Duran - 7 and the Ragged Tiger<BR>some galaxie 500 mp3's<BR>

markie

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2002, 11:42:00 am »
ballboy     club anthems<BR>Lambchop    mono<BR>clash       london calling<BR>spiritualized     let it all come down<BR>E17      Walthamstow

mankie

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2002, 11:46:00 am »
Rieding, concerto in B minor.<P><BR><p>[This message has been edited by mankie (edited 11-16-2002).]

markie

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2002, 11:56:00 am »
is that what you have been playing Mankie?

mankie

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2002, 12:08:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by markie:<BR><B>is that what you have been playing Mankie?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yes it is markie, there's three movements but I've just started to learn it so only on #1.<P>Did you raise a glass to the death of Myra last night? I'm paying the price this morning for it.

markie

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2002, 12:13:00 pm »
I tried not to think about Myra too much. I am just happy to know she has gone.<P>I dont even have the smiths first album here so I cant even listen to suffer the little children.<P>What I was surprised about was her mother was still alive. If I had spawned something like that I think a running jump off something tall would of been in order.

mankie

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2002, 12:18:00 pm »
Markie....remember my age, where I was born and the years Hindley and Brady were doing their deeds, do the math....that's why I celebrated. <P>I even know one of the families of the victims, they are friends of friends.

markie

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2002, 12:23:00 pm »
I had done the math.....<P>Thats why I was asking you about how you felt. I was always surprised no one did her in in prison.<P>The friends of friends..... how did they feel about it all? Did they get over it or did they stay bitter and twisted. Myra became a catholic and repented in prison. If she gets into heaven I want no part of it.

mankie

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2002, 12:45:00 pm »
They never, ever spoke about it. You know how the English are like that. They never got over it either. I wasn't close to them personally, but knew them through a mutual friend.<P>I hate her more than him....at least he's accepted responsibity for his actions and is trying to starve himself to death in prison for it...she was trying to get out of prison for crying out loud, saying she'd paid her debt to society...."England is mine, it owes me a living"...that line is a quote of hers. Me and Moz are close in age which is why he was so affected by it also.<P>Remember all the shit Moz got into with the press for "suffer little children", then when he met one of the families of the victims and they said  it was a beautiful song paying tribute to the children. <P>I read a few books on the moors murders because my memory as a kid was just from my mum not letting me out to play and all that crap, so wanted to find out the whole story as an adult.<P>The sad commentary on the world today markie, is it's almost a common occurance these days.<BR> <p>[This message has been edited by mankie (edited 11-16-2002).]

markie

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2002, 01:26:00 pm »
I guess it makes sense, I mean what can you say.<P>I didnt know that England is mine and it owes me a living was one of Myras quotes. I was amazed she wanted to get out of prison. The que of people ready to do her in would of been impressive.<P>I dont remember the press from suffer the little children at the time, but looking back on it I guess I can take two things from it.<P>The whole country was incredibly sensitive to the murders more than a decade  afterward. <P>The press were hawks ready to sensationalise anything. Personally I find suffer the little children one of Moz/Marrs most touching songs. It never crossed my mind that they had written it to glorify the murders or incite negative publicity.<P>From what I remember suffer the little children is one of the 5 songs that they wrote on their first meeting.<P><BR>As for a common occurance, I dont think it is, is it?