Author Topic: State of the concert industry  (Read 5891 times)

azaghal1981

Re: State of the concert industry
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2010, 05:40:23 pm »
Rapino and Azoff; a match made in scummy tool heaven.

I cannot think of two people who could possibly be more perfect for each other.

Looking like they're going down in flames together, too. Hopefully they are eventually found dead together in some crazy sexual position gone wrong.
احمد

ggw

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2010, 06:12:54 pm »
I like how they dropped the name "Fillmore" from Irving Plaza earlier this summer.

hutch

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2010, 07:24:28 pm »
Rapino and Azoff; a match made in scummy tool heaven.

I cannot think of two people who could possibly be more perfect for each other.

Looking like they're going down in flames together, too. Hopefully they are eventually found dead together in some crazy sexual position gone wrong.

geez louise!

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2010, 12:35:56 pm »
DFA79N if you think this only affexts LN, and the rest ofthe industry is in a completely different bubble, you're naive. There are upsides (more acts in clubs) and downsides (less tours that might branch out to a club, your favorite act getting a big break opening for a major, band quitting b/c they see not even the big guys can make money, etc).

I'm pretty sure you've opined on LN shows here- i.e. You have been to LN events. I'm on the crackberry so I can't search right now.
Sure, Ive been and Im aware that it will affect....probably every concert ever, what can I do? Just my tickets at the door when i go to another show, or one of the many times Im in the area. Or just not go. Maybe youre the one whos naive.

How about that?
‼‼?‼‼

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2010, 01:12:57 pm »
Just my tickets at the door when i go to another show, or one of the many times Im in the area. Or just not go.

i have no idea what you're saying there. maybe those sentences are lacking a few words?  or an underlying thought?
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2010, 11:54:59 pm »
a symptom of the times: flogging the same old act in too-big a venue (which happens to suck donkey balls)  http://www.livenation.com/event/15004488A5B54EB9 - click on "use the map" link to see how many seats are still available.  show is 5 days away.
<sig>

hutch

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2010, 01:48:00 am »
a symptom of the times: flogging the same old act in too-big a venue (which happens to suck donkey balls)  http://www.livenation.com/event/15004488A5B54EB9 - click on "use the map" link to see how many seats are still available.  show is 5 days away.

huh? this is their NEWEST act and by the way played Merriweather just last year and sold it out!

There are many old tired acts that Live Nation is flogging but I'd hardly call Kings of Leon one of them (as much as they may not be my cup of tea)...

azaghal1981

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2010, 07:36:05 am »
^Well, you're wrong.

And it hurts to see Built to Spill, a band who Kings of Leon don't deserve to be in the same city with much less headlining over opening for them.
احمد

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2010, 07:58:45 am »

huh? this is their NEWEST act and by the way played Merriweather just last year and sold it out!

There are many old tired acts that Live Nation is flogging but I'd hardly call Kings of Leon one of them (as much as they may not be my cup of tea)...

i meant that they've been flogging them non-stop for over two years now.  they're over-exposed.  it's impressive that they've been able to achieve this status so quickly.
<sig>

Sir HC

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2010, 08:28:13 am »
^Well, you're wrong.

And it hurts to see Built to Spill, a band who Kings of Leon don't deserve to be in the same city with much less headlining over opening for them.

I give KOL credit for the show at Merriweather having the same band they had open for them at Fletchers years back open for them there (they liked the band).  That is why I went to that show.

Hieronymus

« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2010, 08:49:09 am »

I guess people are just that afraid of being shat on by pigeons.

On second thought, that pigeon-bombing story was probably a secret publicity stunt to try and make people give a shit about Kings of Leon. Overexposed is right.

Less "state of the concert industry" more "state of people's pockets." Jiffy Lube-sized shows naturally rely on a larger sample of the socio-economic spectrum. Therefore in a period of downturn they'll get hit harder. Duh.

azaghal1981

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2010, 08:54:46 am »
Are there really that many acts that can be counted on to fill venues that big around anymore? I think I can count them on one hand.

Shed shows will probably go the way of stadium shows in the next 10 years.

There may be two or three tours in sheds per year but their days of being the norm are numbered IMO.

It may also have more to do with the internet making more music accessible to the public, fragmenting the public into smaller niches than the inability of people to afford bigger shows.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 08:59:35 am by azaghal1981 »
احمد

walkonby

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2010, 09:48:39 am »
i just like the built to spill boo hoos.  there are plenty of bands that have been around just as long as built to spill and don't open for other "popular at the moment" acts . . . because those bands don't suck like built to spill.

hutch

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2010, 11:48:06 am »
well this is a great gig for built to spill..

the music biz is littered with the corpses of great artists who were also rans...i mean: nick drake? even a guy like nick cave.. if there was any justice he'd be selling out arenas not playing- visit after visit- the 930 club...

the issue with jiffy lube is that live nation's roster of summer acts with a few exceptions some of which for the DC area they've taken from IMP (Pearl Jam, Iron Maiden and Kings of Leon) sucks donkey balls...not to mention people would rather get a root canal than drive out to bristow

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2010, 04:16:09 pm »
Just my tickets at the door when i go to another show, or one of the many times Im in the area. Or just not go.

i have no idea what you're saying there. maybe those sentences are lacking a few words?  or an underlying thought?
1. Or just get my tickets at the door for a future show when Im at 930 Club for another show.
2. Or get my tickets one of the other times Im in the area surround the 930 Club
3. Or just not go to the show
‼‼?‼‼