Author Topic: Arcade Fire Rollcall/ New Album Discussion  (Read 18385 times)

Vas Deferens

Re: Arcade Fire Rollcall/ New Album Discussion
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2010, 02:13:26 pm »
Nothing. Because she doesn't know what she's talking about.

think the third one is the most blatant rip-off of the Pixies I've ever heard.

Which songs on The Suburbs are ripoffs of which Pixies songs?  If its so blatant this should be easy.
(_|_)

runwhiteyrun06

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2010, 02:31:15 pm »
Plus I'm sure the Pixies never ripped off anything. It's basically impossible to put out a song that doesn't sound like a rip off of something else. For instance, "Month of May" reminds me a lot of "Wolf like Me" and tons of other songs.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2010, 02:35:35 pm »
Sprawl II sounds a little bit like Blondie  ;D
(_|_)

K8teebug

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2010, 02:37:27 pm »
It is easy.  Month of May, to start.

Sage 703

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2010, 02:45:54 pm »

So one song sounds like...which other song?  Oh hyperbole.

fatskippy

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2010, 02:59:16 pm »

Rococo is about you

Stillwater

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2010, 05:43:04 pm »
I love "Modern Man"

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2010, 08:42:21 pm »
can't seem to find the old arcade fire thread that went epic after the Washington Post reviewer gave the 2005 show a lukewarm review....
T.Rex

nkotb

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2010, 11:07:11 pm »
Was that the same thread were someone compared seeing Arcade Fire to seeing Talking Heads?  God, we're overly dramatic, aren't we?

can't seem to find the old arcade fire thread that went epic after the Washington Post reviewer gave the 2005 show a lukewarm review....

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2010, 07:01:52 am »
I found at least two Arcade Fire threads of interest from that time....

The first worth reading for the shear comedy of someone who saw the band at the Black Cat before they were blogged to death
http://www.930.com/forum/index.php?topic=806.60

Here is what appears to be an off shoot of the main Arcade Fire thread at the time, smackie alludes to another more ridiculous one which may have been deleted.  Skimming it I see a references to the Talking Heads, but none of the outrage over the review which was included.  In typical forum fashion the discussion went an entirely different direction at one point....

Here is the page where the WaPo review got posted inside this thread in case anyone  was wondering

http://www.930.com/forum/index.php?topic=13300.45
T.Rex

Vas Deferens

« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2010, 09:26:10 am »
lemme remind you that there are people who think that the Talking Heads are overrated as hell.

Was that the same thread were someone compared seeing Arcade Fire to seeing Talking Heads?  God, we're overly dramatic, aren't we?

(_|_)

nkotb

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2010, 09:36:42 am »
Ah, here it was:

I couldn't see Talking Heads at the time they filmed Stop Making Sense, this is one of the things I regret the most, however, for some reason I have the impression that seeing the Arcade Fire live will somehow compensate for that.

Barcelona...still feel that way :)

wml7

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2010, 09:39:30 am »
I found at least two Arcade Fire threads of interest from that time....

The first worth reading for the shear comedy of someone who saw the band at the Black Cat before they were blogged to death
http://www.930.com/forum/index.php?topic=806.60

Here is what appears to be an off shoot of the main Arcade Fire thread at the time, smackie alludes to another more ridiculous one which may have been deleted.  Skimming it I see a references to the Talking Heads, but none of the outrage over the review which was included.  In typical forum fashion the discussion went an entirely different direction at one point....

Here is the page where the WaPo review got posted inside this thread in case anyone  was wondering

http://www.930.com/forum/index.php?topic=13300.45

well that was a fun read.  Seeing lots of people from back then ar still on the boards.  People with their name changes.  Is sonnick still here under another name?  ;D

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2010, 10:30:07 am »
I stopped reading after some douchebag compared the Arcade Fire to the Flaming Lips. The Lips haven't had a decent live show in years. If you've seen one, you've seen them all.

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2010, 10:35:22 am »
Their shows might not be like they were in 04 and 05, but I remember the 05 show in Chicago and its still one of my most memorable shows. Like said in the other thread, lots of "holy shit" and "you got to be fucking kidding me"'s all night. The final three songs of Hood #3-->Rebellion and In the Backseat is as good as it gets. Nice how someone mentioned how quiet it was between songs. It was so quiet at the end of In the Backseat when Renee and Win were singing the end of the song, it sent chills down my spine. I only hope their show on Friday will be as good as their shows in the past.