Author Topic: Arcade Fire Rollcall/ New Album Discussion  (Read 18403 times)

yohansen5b

Re: Arcade Fire Rollcall/ New Album Discussion
« Reply #60 on: August 07, 2010, 11:39:07 am »
Was he wooing?
God I hate wooers.

he would turn to any direction, look straight up, point at the ceiling, and yell at it.  he did this by first bumping into everyone in his immediate area. 

runwhiteyrun06

« Reply #61 on: August 07, 2010, 11:39:40 am »
Yeah I was to the right of you. You were probably right next to my friends and I was on the far right of them. I had on a black Leonard Cohen tshirt.

Were you with a girl?

yohansen5b

« Reply #62 on: August 07, 2010, 11:41:51 am »
Yeah I was to the right of you. You were probably right next to my friends and I was on the far right of them. I had on a black Leonard Cohen tshirt.

Were you with a girl?

no, i was with my buddy. i was wearing a grey shirt with a dark red circle design in the chest.  also, a beard.

Mr.Whippy

« Reply #63 on: August 07, 2010, 12:18:42 pm »
You guys are doing alot to further solidify my policy of no GA floor anymore.  I had a very douche-free night last night in the reserved seats about 5 rows above the pit. 

Also, at the club I've become a firm believer in securing a spot on the balcony railing.

There is just too much potential in a GA floor setting for horrid humanity to interfere with my good time.

runwhiteyrun06

« Reply #64 on: August 07, 2010, 12:52:36 pm »
Yeah, I usually do front balcony at 930 shows too.

I was saying to my friends that I'm never doing GA pit at Merriweather again. As long as I can get a decent pavilion seat I just don't feel like getting pissed off at the other people in the pit. I would have enjoyed Spoon so much more had the people around me not been jackasses.

Mobius

« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2010, 04:48:04 pm »
I guess we're about all in agreement on the overall show.  The classics were great, possibly even continuing to improve with age, and ignited the place . . .though marred a bit by muddy sound at times.  Newer songs were less so . . .perhaps they need to ripen, perhaps they would benefit more from a better mix, perhaps thy are having a coldplay circa 2005 moment . . .which isn't to take away from the ovall effect of a great life affirming show where the best elements - nmh via e street via legwarmers (?!?) in best sense - won out over creeping lesser elements (coldplay circa 2005?).  A charasmatic band, sure of itslf but perhaps feeling some growing pains as it finds itself naturally progressing to a level it may not have expected or may still be embarrassed about. . .likely with further growth ahead.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 07:04:21 pm by Mobius »

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #66 on: August 07, 2010, 04:49:05 pm »
I almost got into it with a guy at Terminal 5 because he kept looking up into the balcony every five seconds and thus blocking my view of the stage when he turned his head. Why the fuck are you looking up in the balcony for? The band is on the fucking stage, not the balcony.

alex

« Reply #67 on: August 07, 2010, 06:55:45 pm »
We were on the lawn and had mostly pleasant experiences with the crowd, and the sound seemed surprisingly great out there.  Thought it was a spectacular set overall, and, at least on the lawn, there seemed to be alot more energy than there was at the DAR show for Neon Bible.  My party all left with smiles. 

Walked in right as Spoon was finishing due to some circumstances that almost kept me stuck in the city yesterday afternoon, and the traffic getting in.  I had never been to a sold out show (or however close this one was to being sold out), and didn't realize that overflow parking is basically the Columbia mall!  This marks the 5th time I've missed Spoon since getting into them...oh well I guess I'll see them someday.

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #68 on: August 07, 2010, 09:20:21 pm »
Always park at the mall.  Easy in and out all the time (that's what she said).

leafblower

« Reply #69 on: August 08, 2010, 11:33:53 am »
I really enjoyed the show.  Spoon and Arcade Fire were great.  Still not totally sold on The Suburbs though.

Here are my photos from the gig:
Arcade Fire:
http://kylegustafson.com/2010/08/arcade-fire-merriweather/

Spoon:
http://kylegustafson.com/2010/08/spoon-merriweather/

Enjoy!

walkonby

« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2010, 09:49:09 am »
oh how i love reading this.  "so many drunk assholes."  "drinking"  "sneaking in alcohol."  "frat boys drunk douches"  "god i hate these drinking fuck heads."

ban people smoking pot.  they ruin concerts.

yohansen5b

« Reply #71 on: August 09, 2010, 11:10:41 am »
oh how i love reading this.  "so many drunk assholes."  "drinking"  "sneaking in alcohol."  "frat boys drunk douches"  "god i hate these drinking fuck heads."

ban people smoking pot.  they ruin concerts.

i get what you're trying to say: the banned substances don't cause problems where the allowed ones sometimes do.  i don't really have a problem with how people choose to enjoy a concert: if some kind of additional substance is required, even a whole lot of it, who am i to get in the way.

what gets me is people who can't match the rest of the crowd. if the chemically altered asshole who has stripped off his shirt and is belligerently throwing his body into other people and no one else around him is doing the same nor welcomes his actions, he's then simply an asshole.  it's the same as if he were sober. 

basically, what's accepted at one show is not necessarily accepted at other shows.  getting sloppy drunk is maybe more accepted by your fellow pit attendees at hfstival than perhaps arcade fire.  moshing is perhaps more accepted at gwar than it would be at wilco.

i sound old.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #72 on: August 09, 2010, 01:55:17 pm »
^ You sound reasonable.

Walkie, when you get a chance, please watch this. Even though there are no cats, I know you will like it.

The Union
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 02:00:09 pm by Jaguar »

azaghal1981

« Reply #73 on: August 09, 2010, 07:37:24 pm »
Walkie, the problem with your post is that pot is illegal while alcohol is not. Of course I am in total agreement with you that alcohol causes more disturbances than the vast majority of other drugs. It's just that the law says that if people are caught smoking pot in an establishment of any sort, that establishment could be shut down, lose its liquor license, etc. And obviously, you know this.
احمد

K8teebug

« Reply #74 on: August 10, 2010, 08:07:21 am »
People who are stoned can be just as annoying as people who are drunk.