Author Topic: Gorillaz  (Read 2279 times)

blipvurt

Gorillaz
« on: October 14, 2010, 11:33:37 am »
Did anyone else go to Gorillaz on Monday? If so, what did you think of it?

So cool to see Mick Jones and Paul Simonon performing together.

My review:
http://www.welovedc.com/2010/10/14/we-love-music-gorillaz-susquehanna-bank-center-nj-101010-patriot-center-va-101110/

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: Gorillaz
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 11:58:20 am »
i meant to ask about this.... anyone?  anyone?

nice pix, but would be been interesting to get some wider-angle shots of the whole stage, the animations, etc.
<sig>

blipvurt

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 12:48:36 pm »
I agree Sweetcell. They were managing the photographers pretty tightly at this one, so we were limited in what we could get.

blipvurt

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 01:10:59 pm »
Just updated the post with a pretty cool video shot by Kano while performing "Clint Eastwood", Gives a little more sense of the size of the group.

Mr.Whippy

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 05:22:07 pm »
Great review!  We loved the show, even though we were beat from a weekend at ACL.  The whole thing seems to have gelled so much better at this point than it did at Coachella.

I was a bit shocked by the relatively low turnout.  There were several sections of the Patriot Center that were completely blocked off and several others that seemed to have very few people.  I wonder how the turnout has been in other cities.

Yada

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 08:25:22 pm »
Great review!  We loved the show, even though we were beat from a weekend at ACL.  The whole thing seems to have gelled so much better at this point than it did at Coachella.

I was a bit shocked by the relatively low turnout.  There were several sections of the Patriot Center that were completely blocked off and several others that seemed to have very few people.  I wonder how the turnout has been in other cities.

Even though they're a pretty awesome group, they shouldn't be playing venues that hold upwards of 10k people.

blipvurt

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 12:00:45 am »
I agree about the venue size. They would have been great at DAR I think.

This was a pricey show too, I think that steered some people away from the Patriot Center show.

Although in Camden they played a Merriweather-sized place and filled it.

Unsanity

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 01:59:34 am »
Yeah this show was awesome. Other than Rock The Bells, this felt like the hip-hop event of the year. I do think they undersold the show. My tickets got upgraded because they closed off the section I was supposed to sit in hah! NERD was pretty bad as the opener I thought. But by the time Gorillaz hit the stage the place looked pretty packed, especially the super-expensive floor seats. It was nice when Damon said he was sorry for making us wait ten years for a show. I seem to remember Gorillaz playing 9:30 back in 2001 or something? Did that ever happen or am I imagining things?

My only gripe: How could they not have Del there?

God bless Bobby Womack.

agenthal

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 02:04:27 am »

Glad to know I wasn't the only one crazy enough to do ACL --> Gorillaz. Except I also had midterms this week. Week of death.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 03:11:56 am »
I seem to remember Gorillaz playing 9:30 back in 2001 or something? Did that ever happen or am I imagining things?

Yeah, it happened. Either late 2001 or early 2002. I didn't see it but I do remember it happening around that time. Also remember a lot of people complaining about the screen, being too thick or something.

Sir HC

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 09:50:00 am »
Yeah, they played the club, was a great show.  Several friends and myself skipped this one because it was damn expensive.  Just not worth the price to me.

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2010, 01:59:49 pm »
It was worth the price. I had the medium priced ($80, with fees) seats, straight back, and they were fine. It was the most I've spent on a single concert, but I'm glad I went. It was a great concert, and a great experience.

walkonby

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2010, 02:03:57 pm »
they lost me when del was deaded.

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2010, 02:49:08 pm »
Awesome review. I saw the show in NYC and it was incredibly awesome. My favorite comment of the show from a guy behind me "who the hell is that guy"... its f'ing Lou Reed. And then the friend says 'uhhh its lou reed' and the guy (who is def not a young guy) says 'Never heard of him'.

Lou Reed was pretty cool to see aside for mic issues and it took way too long for them to set him up. Other than that - it was awesome. Cant believe I missed their show at The Apollo, although without free tix Id have prob not seen this one. The price was soooooooooo much money that I cant imagine paying an obscene amount to sit in the nosebleeds.

Now if Blur will just reform again and do another show, Id be damn happy!
HeyLa

blipvurt

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2010, 09:21:56 pm »
I heard Lou Reed played some mean guitar too - true? how was?