Author Topic: Rally to Restore Sanity/Keep Fear Alive  (Read 38730 times)

Brian_Wallace

Re: Rally to Restore Sanity/Keep Fear Alive
« Reply #75 on: October 31, 2010, 10:14:35 am »

How come the only black people there were John Legend and the Roots?  I saw more African-Americans at the Beck/Tea Party rally.   Don't kid yourself about the "Rainbow" of people there yesterday.  It was more upper class Whitey than a Radiohead/Wilco/Arcade Fire show.

Brian

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #76 on: October 31, 2010, 10:21:45 am »
The right's crazies are currently in the center, and the Republicans are at an advanced stage of purging their party of any reasonable people.

The real obstruction to progress is the idea that both sides are equally the problem.  The Republican Party has basically forfeited their right to govern. We need a two-party system, and we need people who represent differing viewpoints, but the GOP and the Teabaggers aren't it.

We're basically on the same page here -- the only thing I was really objecting to was that not enough distinction is being made between the Tea Party and the GOP, which discredits what remains of the viable second party that it once was. And that only gives the Teabaggers more power. I think we can agree on that. Anyway, didn't mean to spark a debate, was just giving a report on the event.

Also: those numbers might be a sign that the Tea Party isn't quite as huge as we make it out to be.

ok, we're good!
_\|/_

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #77 on: October 31, 2010, 10:25:39 am »

How come the only black people there were John Legend and the Roots?  I saw more African-Americans at the Beck/Tea Party rally.   Don't kid yourself about the "Rainbow" of people there yesterday.  It was more upper class Whitey than a Radiohead/Wilco/Arcade Fire show.

Brian

more predictable than a teapartiers commentator anywhere on the interweb...
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 01:13:29 pm by kosmo vinyl »
T.Rex

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #78 on: October 31, 2010, 11:12:18 am »

How come the only black people there were John Legend and the Roots?  I saw more African-Americans at the Beck/Tea Party rally.   Don't kid yourself about the "Rainbow" of people there yesterday.  It was more upper class Whitey than a Radiohead/Wilco/Arcade Fire show.

Brian

more predictable than a teabagger commentator anywhere on the interweb...

Exactly the very same kind of comments often thrown towards the Tea Parties about how light skinned their turn outs tend to be. Maybe, just maybe, that's more reflective of how Black people tend to regard these sorts of events. Don't really know the answer.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #79 on: October 31, 2010, 11:45:49 am »
The real obstruction to progress is the idea that both sides are equally the problem. 

Personally, I disagree with just about everything you wrote but not up for a big debate so I'll only address this one statement. In my opinion, among that of many others from both sides, this is the one that I could not be any more diametrically opposed to. A very large bulk of the politicians of both sides have proven that they don't represent the people anymore. Yes, even within your own beloved Democratic party. The very reason why so many of them are moving away from a number of their representatives that they've put in office, some even into the GOP's camp, which I do not believe will solve any of their concerns. Most of the ones that I know aren't necessarily leaving their preferred party (and that's from both ends) but are completely disgusted with the actions of what their representatives are doing, and yes, that includes some very, very hardcore dyed in the wool Democrats who are pissed off with the leadership within the Democratic party. They aren't turning Republican, or even Tea Party, but they recognize that there is too much toxic waste within that needs cleaning out. I agree that the Republican regular Joes took this step first with wanting to get away from the Neocons but give your own people some credit for recognizing a problem and wanting to put it back to what they believe it's ideals are supposed to be. 

Too much corruption and ownership within both sides... YES! Equally!
Both, all too often, end up leading us into:

* the escalation and even inciting of more wars, ala the military industrial complex (Can you say Blackwater?)
* the loss of decent American jobs... or jobs period!
* more and more Banksterism robbing us of our money and controlling political decisions even against the peoples desires
* the loss of more and more of our rights and freedoms
* more and more Big Brotherism spying and tracking every factor of our lives
* preferential treatment and benefits for the elite and top governmental politicians while continuing to put the screws to the majority of American tax payers
* the total collapse of the housing industry and the complete and utter fraud of the mortgage industry

That's a limited list but each parties' leaders have moved away from representing the people and, instead, doing what their puppet masters (too often some major bank or corporation) want them to do.

As they say, if you can't see this, or are in total denial of this, than you are part of the problem.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 12:45:24 pm by Jaguar »

• my blog
« Reply #80 on: October 31, 2010, 01:05:14 pm »
Let me put this simply...

1) both parties share large amounts of blame in the current mess

2) Ultimately, the Republican party is more to blame.   In fact, one big way the Democrats have gone astray is in many of its politicians coming around to some of the most evil tenets of philopsophy that basically originated with the Right, particularly "trickle down economics."

The issue of which is more to blame is not trivial.   Another fact of American politics is that third parties will never succeed at the national level.   The system is designed that way, and it is a fantasy to imagine otherwise.    After that, the only choice is to support the lesser of two evils, and work to reform/improve that party.

When you subscribe to the "both parties are the same" argument, you get people not voting, or voting for a joke candidate like Ralph Nader.   And then someone like Dubya gets elected.    Both the same?  Would Al Gore have invaded Iraq?  Would he have appointed a former Halliburton CEO as VP?  I don't think so.

_\|/_

walkonby

« Reply #81 on: October 31, 2010, 01:32:49 pm »
i liked what colbert was wearing.

vansmack

« Reply #82 on: October 31, 2010, 01:43:55 pm »
anywhere to watch a re-broadcast of the rally?  i was there today, but didn't actually get to hear much of what stewart and colbert said...

http://www.comedycentral.com/shows/rally_to_restore_sanity_and_or_fear/index.jhtml
27>34

James Ford

« Reply #83 on: October 31, 2010, 04:13:03 pm »
The Stewart rally did much bigger numbers than the Beck rally? Shocking. Maybe the fact that 90%+ residents of DC are Democrats, not to mention big Democrat majorities in adjacent Maryland counties and a a majority in adjacent Virginia counties had something to do with this. Hmmm.

Hieronymus

« Reply #84 on: October 31, 2010, 05:27:39 pm »
The Stewart rally did much bigger numbers than the Beck rally? Shocking. Maybe the fact that 90%+ residents of DC are Democrats, not to mention big Democrat majorities in adjacent Maryland counties and a a majority in adjacent Virginia counties had something to do with this. Hmmm.

True, but the DC population is 54% black and, as has been noted, rally attendance was overwhelmingly white. It's hard to see that alone account for the difference.

James Ford

« Reply #85 on: October 31, 2010, 07:08:06 pm »
The average out of town Jon Stuart Leibowitz fan has more disposable income than the eerage out of town Glem Beck fan?

True, but the DC population is 54% black and, as has been noted, rally attendance was overwhelmingly white. It's hard to see that alone account for the difference.

• my blog
« Reply #86 on: November 01, 2010, 07:32:43 am »
The average out of town Jon Stuart Leibowitz fan has more disposable income than the eerage out of town Glem Beck fan?

Um, there was some study done earlier this year that suggested that teabaggers generally have higher than average income.   People tend to forget that the teabagger movement basically began when that CNBC hack, Rick Santini, went on television in 2008 and ranted about bailouts for homeowners, calling underwater mortgage holders "losers" and saying "there ought to be a tea party or something."   The conventional wisdom is that teabaggers are upset about the economy, but I think actually most of them are upset about the bailouts, not just for corporations but for people.   In classic Libertarian fashion their attitude is "cut my taxes and f&*ck everyone else."

It should also be noted that the supposedly grass roots teabagger movement is heavily promoted by Rupert Murdoch's News Corp., and also funded by several well-known right wing multibillionaires.  All of which makes the turnout for Stewart/Colbert all the more impressive.

I think what Stewart's march showed is that moderates in this country outnumber right-wing nutbags, and  outnumber the semiliterates of the sort who think Beck and Palin actually have something to say.   The problem is that moderates, by virtue of their moderation, are not the ones with the loudest voices.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 07:37:00 am by Doctor Doom »
_\|/_

K8teebug

« Reply #87 on: November 01, 2010, 08:20:19 am »
We drove up from Alexandria, parked in a lot by the stadium for free, and walked to the rally around 11.  It was crowded, we could hardly see the screens and/or hear, but it was still fun to see all the people who showed up.  I thought most of the signs were funny.  My favorite:

"F'ing Congress. How does that work?  Also, legalize weed".

Just thought it was funny.

No traffic to and from the rally=best part

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #88 on: November 01, 2010, 10:47:46 am »
Spent over almost 2 hours at the metro station in Vienna waiting to get a fare card then waiting for a train then finally get to the mall. We drank a lot on the train and I was completely drunk after an hour of being on the mall, regardless, we couldn't see or hear anything so we just walked over to the national gallery of art and sat around and went back home at like 4 and got home at like 7 due to trains breaking down and switching trains and finally jus grabbing a cab from Rosslyn.

My buddies drove in from Fairfax and said 66 was a breeze and they found a spot right close to the mall. Unbelievable. On the plus side, there were some amazing signs.
‼‼?‼‼

James Ford

« Reply #89 on: November 01, 2010, 11:28:32 am »
Since when are you allowed to drink on the Metro?

Spent over almost 2 hours at the metro station in Vienna waiting to get a fare card then waiting for a train then finally get to the mall. We drank a lot on the train and I was completely drunk after an hour of being on the mall, regardless, we couldn't see or hear anything so we just walked over to the national gallery of art and sat around and went back home at like 4 and got home at like 7 due to trains breaking down and switching trains and finally jus grabbing a cab from Rosslyn.

My buddies drove in from Fairfax and said 66 was a breeze and they found a spot right close to the mall. Unbelievable. On the plus side, there were some amazing signs.