Author Topic: Jonsi appreciation thread  (Read 5493 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Jonsi appreciation thread
« on: November 09, 2010, 01:21:50 am »
i thoroughly enjoyed the show tonight, it exceeded expectations.  some delightfully blissful moments especially in the first half of the show.  the missus, who isn't a fan of sigur ros (she says they sound like whale mating calls) thought the show was really good too.

t'was the quietest, most respectful crowd i have ever seen at the club.  jonsi came out to huge cheers and then kicked off the show with a solo acoustic number (eventually joined by someone on marimbas, adding occasional accents).  you could have heard a pin drop.  why can't all shows be like that?!?  dunno if it's going to be as non-chatty tomorrow night, i suspect tonight's crowd had a higher percentage of fans/devotees/etc than tomorrow's show.

highlight for me was "tornado".  on the album it semi-operatic, tonight it bordered on dance music.  closest the crowd came to dancing all night.

if i didn't already have plans for tomorrow (tuesday) night, i'd consider going back for a second dose.  if anyone here is on the fence about seeing this show - get off the fence, go to the club.  it gets a strong recommendation from me. 

my pix: http://picasaweb.google.com/sweetcell/Jonsi930Club
<sig>

Jesse

Re: Jonsi appreciation thread
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 01:50:07 am »
I was there tonight also

I second the strong recommendation for anyone to go tomorrow if they can. 

blipvurt

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 10:37:13 am »
I fully endorse these shows as well. Night one was fantastic. Looking forward to night two!

The crowd was freakishly respectful - I loved it. The only other crowd that quiet that I have encountered at the club was at the seated Ryuichi Sakamoto show in the early 00's. I hope the crowd is as good tonight.

wml7

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 10:38:34 am »
As I said before he was awesome at Voodoo fest.  Great voice  ;D

Chulahoma

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 12:58:32 pm »
Excellent show.  The visuals were a very nice addition.  Any guess on how much those two projectors were? I'm thinking 15-20k each.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 01:12:49 pm »
seriously folks, get on this.

Any guess on how much those two projectors were? I'm thinking 15-20k each.

no idea.  i'm not familiar with the price of projectors, but yeah - they were really impressive and must be worth a bundle.

forgot to mention: the sound was pristine.  last night was as good as the club can sound (i.e., excellent).  as my pix indicated, i was at the back of the room leaning against the soundboard booth.  the sound techs had the booth decorated with various tchotchkes, like a plastic chewbacca head hanging from a gooseneck light over the board ;D
<sig>

blipvurt

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 01:39:20 pm »
Sweetcell - I must have been standing right next to you with my wife. I think that Chewbacca head was an old Taco Bell keychain or something.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 02:43:48 pm »
if you were dead-center of the sound booth and your wife has dark hair, is a little on the shorter side, and was standing to your left - we were indeed standing right next each other.  lol - a 930 "missed connection".  let's grab a a beer at the next show.
<sig>

blipvurt

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 02:54:45 pm »
Yeah that was us. I'll keep an eye on rollcall and we'll meet up at the next one.

vansmack

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2010, 03:08:13 pm »
if you were dead-center of the sound booth and your wife has dark hair, is a little on the shorter side, and was standing to your left

Not that you were checking out his wife or anything...
27>34

hutch

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010, 10:27:59 pm »
if you were dead-center of the sound booth and your wife has dark hair, is a little on the shorter side, and was standing to your left

;D

blipvurt

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2010, 10:21:00 am »
Ha!

Night two - amazing!

James Ford

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2010, 10:37:50 am »
I just can't past this bands name. Silliest band name since Slobberbone. Jonsi. Ha.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2010, 11:04:57 am »

well, she was pretty cute and all, and, i was just, like, standing there waiting for the band so it's not like i had anything else to do...

Night two - amazing!

dammit.  same setlist, or did he mix it up?
<sig>

blipvurt

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2010, 11:47:04 am »
Same setlist - same fantastic quality both nights.

I would say I enjoyed night two a wee bit more because I watched from upstairs and got a good view of them playing all of their odd instruments and things. From the floor, on night one, I didn't even realize there were some keyboards/organ things on the floor! These guys jam hard and it was great to have the bird's eye view.