Author Topic: itunes MP3 question  (Read 1858 times)

Richard D Taylor

itunes MP3 question
« on: March 12, 2004, 11:22:00 am »
I was wondering if anybody out there could tell me if it's possible to convert an MP3 you've purchased from itunes into a WAV file so it can be burned to a CD-R.  I've done this numerous times with other MP3s that I've downloaded from file sharing networks such as WinMX, but for some reason, I can't seem to figure out how to do this with itunes.  And Mark E, if you are reading this, the same goes for all those MP3s you ripped for me on that DVD.  I can open up the disc in itunes and listen to the tracks on my computer, but so far I've been unable to convert any of those tracks to WAV files so I can play them in a regular CD player.  Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide...

ratioci nation

Re: itunes MP3 question
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2004, 11:24:00 am »
Originally posted by friend of Guy Chadwick:
  I was wondering if anybody out there could tell me if it's possible to convert an MP3 you've purchased from itunes into a WAV file so it can be burned to a CD-R.  I've done this numerous times with other MP3s that I've downloaded from file sharing networks such as WinMX, but for some reason, I can't seem to figure out how to do this with itunes.  And Mark E, if you are reading this, the same goes for all those MP3s you ripped for me on that DVD.  I can open up the disc in itunes and listen to the tracks on my computer, but so far I've been unable to convert any of those tracks to WAV files so I can play them in a regular CD player.  Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide...
you can do that in itunes, put the mp3s in a playlist and burn them to cd, if your options are set to make an audio cd it will do the conversion for you

Bags

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2004, 11:33:00 am »
But don't iTune Store purchases have some kind of protection so that you can only burn them one to three times?

ratioci nation

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2004, 11:42:00 am »
Originally posted by Bags:
  But don't iTune Store purchases have some kind of protection so that you can only burn them one to three times?
I can't remember exactly what the deal is, but once you have burned them on to an audio cd, there is no kind of protection

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2004, 11:54:00 am »
ITunes tunes are  not MP3s, they are AACs, a format that uses a different compression scheme. You can probably find a conversion app somewhere, or a plug-in for current WAV apps.
😐 🎶

Richard D Taylor

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2004, 11:54:00 am »
Originally posted by pollard: you can do that in itunes, put the mp3s in a playlist and burn them to cd, if your options are set to make an audio cd it will do the conversion for you
Okay, I know I'm going to sound completely incompetant now, but how do you put songs into a playlist on itunes?  I've tried left clicking and right clicking on the songs, I've tried dragging---for the life of me I can't seem to figure it out...

ratioci nation

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2004, 11:55:00 am »
Originally posted by beetsnotbeats:
  ITunes tunes are  not MP3s, they are AACs,  
Whoops I knew that, just had a brain fart, but what I said about putting it in a playlist and burning from there still works.

ratioci nation

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2004, 11:57:00 am »
Originally posted by friend of Guy Chadwick:

Originally posted by pollard: you can do that in itunes, put the mp3s in a playlist and burn them to cd, if your options are set to make an audio cd it will do the conversion for you
Okay, I know I'm going to sound completely incompetant now, but how do you put songs into a playlist on itunes?  I've tried left clicking and right clicking on the songs, I've tried dragging---for the life of me I can't seem to figure it out... [/b]
create a playlist, it will appear in the lefthand part of itunes, then you drag the songs in, if you cant drag the songs in, itunes isn't working right

Bags

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2004, 12:03:00 pm »
You create a playlist by clicking the button on the bottom with a + sign on it.  A playlist will appear as "untitled" in that left-hand window.  Then drag and drop songs in!  Rule of thumb is about 80 MB per disc.

sonickteam2

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2004, 12:46:00 pm »
I think everyone on earth has itunes but me.

i must be missing something.

i bet Rhett doesnt have itunes.

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2004, 12:56:00 pm »
What is itunes? Is it something I can buy for 53 cents at CD Game Exchange?

markie

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2004, 12:58:00 pm »
itunes is free.

FOGC,

I hope Pollard and the rest answered your questions? It should be easy in itunes.

Richard D Taylor

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2004, 12:58:00 pm »
Thanks for the help Bags and Pollard!  I'll try that when I get home.  I'd love to be able to use some of the music that I've purchased on itunes along with some of Mark E's MP3s for my guest DJ gig at Bliss tomorrow night.  Assuming I can figure this thing out, I'll be playing this killer early track from the Pale Saints that is very hard-to-find but could work really well on the dance-floor (thanks again Mark E for the music DVD!)...