Author Topic: Coachella Lineup  (Read 33664 times)

ggw

Coachella Lineup
« on: January 07, 2004, 01:58:00 pm »
Rumored:

Radiohead
 Pixies
 The Mars Volta
 Jets to Brazil
 Calexico
 Lynyrd Skynyrd
 The Strokes
 The Notwist
 Death Cab for Cutie
 Constantines
 Kings of Leon
 John Vanderslice
 Magic Magicians
 The Rapture
 Capitol K
 The Locust
 British Sea Power
 Lyrics Born
 Planes Mistaken for Stars
 Loose Fur
 PJ Harvey
 Broken Social Scene

grotty

Re: Coachella Lineup
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2004, 02:00:00 pm »
Hmmm, My birthday weekend, in the California desert, with a chance to see Skynyrd.

That's a pretty sweet prelim list. Maybe I should trade in my SXSW tix.

Random Citizen

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2004, 02:01:00 pm »
Heh...same difference, no?  ;)

Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  Rumored:

/snip/
 Lynyrd Skynyrd
 Kings of Leon

sonickteam2

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2004, 03:54:00 pm »
I have also heard

the Stills

either way , i am going again.  It was one of the best concerts i have ever been to.

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2004, 03:58:00 pm »
Have you even listened to Skynrd or Kings of Leon? Don't think they sound at all alike.

Originally posted by Random Citizen:
  Heh...same difference, no?   ;)  

Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  Rumored:

/snip/
 Lynyrd Skynyrd
 Kings of Leon

[/b]

sonickteam2

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2004, 04:02:00 pm »
the Electric Six and the Thrills are also confirmed i believe.

bearman🐻

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2004, 04:44:00 pm »
Well, I have a pretty strong feeling my sister and I are going out for this one. It's just too good to pass up...the Pixies alone does it for me. How could I not go see them? My God...what an amazing event this will be. PJ Harvey would be nice, especially if she does a Desert Sessions type thing with Queens of the STone Age.

kurosawa-b/w

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2004, 05:31:00 pm »
Unless work prevents it, I will try to go this year. Tickets will probably sell pretty quick, no?

brennser

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2004, 05:44:00 pm »
adding a little more fuel to the pixies  fire

bottom right hand corner

sonickteam2

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2004, 09:23:00 am »
Originally posted by kurosawa-b/w:
  Unless work prevents it, I will try to go this year. Tickets will probably sell pretty quick, no?
i dont know about tickets selling too fast. Last year it never even sold out.  And its a big place, so i dont know.  They were $80 a day last year and it IS in the middle of nowhere.  

But radiohead and the pixies. who knows, could sell out quickly.  i doubt it though.

Bags

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2004, 10:52:00 am »
I know I could look this up, but where is Coachella, how do you get there, where do you stay...

I'm thinking of either Coachella or Bumbershoot (sp?) this year.  Thoughts on which is a better trip?

thirsty moore

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2004, 10:56:00 am »
A sleepy desert town in California.  Kinda cool actually.  I drove through there once.  You wouldn't expect a festival to be held there.

Originally posted by Bagster:
  I know I could look this up, but where is Coachella, how do you get there, where do you stay...

sonickteam2

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2004, 11:17:00 am »
Originally posted by Bagster:

I'm thinking of either Coachella or Bumbershoot (sp?) this year.  Thoughts on which is a better trip?
Heres a quick summary, since i went last year.

Fly into San Diego, LA, or Phoenix, rent a car a drive for a few hours (2 1/2 from San Diego, i know) into the desert.  You will be in the middle of the brown desert and you will get a hotel out there. There are plenty of places to stay within 10 miles of the show. Or you can camp at the venue or Joshua Tree Natl Park or somewhere like that.

The show starts at 1pm and goes til Midnight each night.  Bands on 3 stages, DJs in 1 and then random stuff in another.  

Its on a polo field and not "in the desert" so what you are walking and standing on is like a golf course fairway, not dirt.  its a BEAUTIFUL place to see a show.  easy to walk in between stages (10 minutes from one end to the next) and the lines for the restrooms, food and beer (which are in beer gardens) are virtually non-existant.

You'll see movie stars and artists walking about having a good time, and the crowd is generally musically knowledgable and you can get close to the stage without being pushed/shoved or moshed into (save the NERD performance where they DID have a mosh pit).  Its hot though, during the day, but gets chilly at night, and thats when the whole sky turns purple!  

Anyway, you kind of have to be a trooper, cause its a long day, and you are stuck in the venue with not much around it all day (not lke Bumbershoot)  but i think the lineup is great, and shit, Southern Cali or Rainy Seattle?? i know what i'd chose every time!

hope that helps  :)

sonickteam2

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2004, 11:18:00 am »
oh and for your real question

Coachella is held in Indio California.

about 2 1/2 hours east of San Diego and LA and about in between the two.

Bags

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2004, 11:20:00 am »
helps tons, sonick -- thanks.