Author Topic: SXSW Lineup  (Read 14066 times)

Jaguär

Re: SXSW Lineup
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2004, 11:57:00 pm »
Originally posted by grotty:
  Anybody know anything about this British band called Athlete? I've got a friend from over that way who is recommending them & I see they've been added to the schedule.
ARGHHHHH!!!!!!! I fucking HATE that band!!!!!!!!!!! In fact, I hate them even more than The Thrills. Much more than The Thrills. They are one of those bands that when I hear their music, not only do I hate their music, but I can't get the songs out of my head. Spare yourself and avoid them at all cost for your own sanity. Though I know a few people who do like them, most of the people I know who are familiar with them can't stand them.

Don't confuse them with James Yorkston And The Atheletes, who are pretty good and sound a little like Ballboy.

grotty

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2004, 12:24:00 am »
Originally posted by Jaguär:

Originally posted by grotty:
  Anybody know anything about this British band called Athlete? I've got a friend from over that way who is recommending them & I see they've been added to the schedule.
ARGHHHHH!!!!!!! I fucking HATE that band!!!!!!!!!!! In fact, I hate them even more than The Thrills. Much more than The Thrills. They are one of those bands that when I hear their music, not only do I hate their music, but I can't get the songs out of my head. Spare yourself and avoid them at all cost for your own sanity. Though I know a few people who do like them, most of the people I know who are familiar with them can't stand them.

Don't confuse them with James Yorkston And The Atheletes, who are pretty good and sound a little like Ballboy. [/b]
Well - I think I'll heed that advice. You did, after all, introduce me to the 90 Day Men...who are now one of my favorites.

ggw

« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2004, 12:33:00 pm »
According to Pitchfork, the Wrens will be at SXSW.

SPARX

« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2004, 09:41:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggw™:
  The Fiery Furnaces (New York NY)

I just got their album that recieved rave reviews recently and i just don't see the talent ANYWHERE on it,does anybody like these folks.If so,please enlighten me,i don't get it.Just horrible IMHO!I'll never get those 45 minutes I spent listening back either  :(

ggw

« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2004, 01:29:00 pm »
Based on this sentence:

"you didnâ??t hear it here, but anyone who might enjoy a last cigarette under the Milky Way tonight should line up for wristbands pronto."

In the Austin Chronicle, I guess Dramarama and The Church are on board too.

grotty

« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2004, 02:20:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  Based on this sentence:

"you didnâ??t hear it here, but anyone who might enjoy a last cigarette under the Milky Way tonight should line up for wristbands pronto."

In the Austin Chronicle, I guess Dramarama and The Church are on board too.
I like it when they add these golden oldies (like the 'secret' Blur show last year)...it keeps the peeps from crowding the shows I really want to see.

MiloGTC

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2004, 01:25:00 pm »
first confirmed list of bands now up at http://www.sxsw.com/music/festival/ -- it doesn't include some of the bigger names who are scheduled to play (Willie Nelson, Old 97's, Los Lobos, Aimee Mann), but it is quite informative and much longer than anything previously posted.

grotty

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2004, 01:56:00 pm »
Originally posted by MiloGTC:
  first confirmed list of bands now up at  http://www.sxsw.com/music/festival/  -- it doesn't include some of the bigger names who are scheduled to play (Willie Nelson, Old 97's, Los Lobos, Aimee Mann), but it is quite informative and much longer than anything previously posted.
THX Milo - I'm perusing it now...

redsock

« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2004, 02:08:00 pm »
Wow, Tom McRae, Bigger Lovers, Cooper Temple Clause...I can only hope the appearance by the Delgados is part of a US tour....love to see them again.

eslmusic

« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2004, 05:17:00 pm »
Check out the Apes and Modey Lemon at the Birdman night on the 18th. I think it's at Emo's...

grotty

« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2004, 06:25:00 pm »
Originally posted by eslmusic:
  Modey Lemon
Pittsburgh's finest export...well, after Iron City beer  :eek:

crushwhore

« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2004, 07:20:00 pm »
Atmosphere.

grotty

« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2004, 10:10:00 am »
A nice big update:

Band Update 1/22/04

Notable:

Calexico
 Calla
 Clearlake
  Constantines!   :D  
 Cooper Temple Clause
 Franz Ferdinand
 Adam Green
 Trailer Bride

ggw

« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2004, 12:57:00 pm »

grotty

« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2004, 01:21:00 pm »
Big Cheese      :D    

There are quite a few bands on there that haven't made any other list yet (e.g., DBT, Von Bondies)

I can see that there are going to be some seriously tough choices this year.

You'll know you're in Texas for this one:

La Zona Rosa (All Ages)
 â?¢ Slobberbone Denton TX Pop/Rock
 â?¢ Tim Easton Columbus OH Singer/Songwriter
 â?¢ Drive-By Truckers Athens GA Pop/Rock
 â?¢ The Flatlanders Lubbock TX Country

I guess Modest Mouse is  Hint, Hint @ La Zona Rosa on Wednesday.

I'd love some recommendations if anyone has a few minutes to review...