Author Topic: If I had three wishes...  (Read 10620 times)

tenfifteen

Re: If I had three wishes...
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2005, 10:28:00 am »
Bah. My sister teaches 8th grade in a public school and makes some decent coin. Do whatever job you wanna do, but for christ's sake, shut up about the pay.

You picked the career, and everyone knows that the pay isn't great, so don't piss and moan because you don't get paid enough. You've got arguably the most influential labor union in America behind you. If they're not getting it done, vote your leadership out.

I've honestly never understood this. This "teachers don't make enough" shit has been going on since I was a kid. Since I graduated HS in 1988, I figure people who like to work with children have had ample time to determine a different career path.

Maybe if enough of you decided against teaching, then people would recognize how valuable you are, and supply/demand would kick in. But nope... every year, more self-seen martyrs churn themselves out of the colleges, acting like they're answering some kind of calling, and bitching about the pay all the way to the grave.

Does it suck? Absolutely, and I vote for salary increases for teachers and more $$$ for schools every time a measure comes up. But if you don't like working outside, maybe you shouldn't become a construction worker. Don't like getting shot at? The Army's a bad move. And if you want a high-paying job, clearly public education isn't where you should be.

I'd expect someone responsible for educating children to be able to make the deduction.

xcanuck

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2005, 10:32:00 am »
Originally posted by Bags:
  I agree on the teachers pay (as in they should get more), but who works an 8 hour day?  I haven't, ever, and have numerous "out of hours" events and responsibilities I have to cover that I don't get, quote unquote, paid for....you actually do get paid for it because it's part of your job (unless you're working on an hourly basis and they really don't pay you for covering a PTA meeting or whatever).  Just noting that, especially in DC, office jobs aren't necessarily play time either and your job is what it is...I'd assume a teacher's job description includes parent-teacher meetings, etc.
True. Any salaried worker has to do the work in the job description, which may mean that some of it happens outside the traditional 9-5 window. Any in the case of teachers, stuff like meetings with parents falls in that category.

My point was that you can't just calculate the total amount of work by multiplying teaching hours by teaching days to come up with some lame estimate of the amount of work teachers do. There is much more to a teacher's job description than getting in front of a class.

xcanuck

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2005, 10:35:00 am »
Originally posted by tenfifteen:
  Bah. My sister teaches 8th grade in a public school and makes some decent coin. Do whatever job you wanna do, but for christ's sake, shut up about the pay.

I'm not a teacher. Never have been. So I'm not bitching about it. I'm trying to correct the perception that some people have that teachers have it easy. They don't. They work hard and I think they deserve more pay.

I think we're on the same boat. Just want you to understand where I'm coming from.

markie

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2005, 10:35:00 am »
I believe that children are the future, teach them well and let them lead the way.

ggw

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2005, 10:38:00 am »
Originally posted by canker-blossom:
  I believe that children are the future, teach them well and let them lead the way.
Are you practicing for the Miss America pageant?

markie

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2005, 11:00:00 am »
YES!

As Miss America my three wishes are that we never talk about how tough it is to be a teacher, ipods or anything apple related, on the board again. Oh and for the 3rd wish, bigger boobs.

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2005, 01:22:00 pm »
My first wish would be that studios must release all of the good movies from the 60s-80s(for example, why hasn't Lindsay Anderson's masterpiece 'IF' been released to DVD???)  on DVD, before they release any more films starring any of the following actors:

Lindsay Lohan, Adam Sandler, Rob Scheider, either Olsen twin sibling, Angelina Jolie, Gwyneth Paltrow, Jet Li, Cedric the Entertainer, or any comic-book superhero...with the possible exception of Powdered Toast Man.

markie

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2005, 01:24:00 pm »
No excitement for the fantastic 4?

sonickteam2

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2005, 01:46:00 pm »

YEAH!  dont bitch about your pay!! just take what they give you and shut up about it!

you wanna come work for me?

sonickteam2

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2005, 01:51:00 pm »

You picked the career, and everyone knows that the pay isn't great, so don't piss and moan because you don't get paid enough. You've got arguably the most influential labor union in America behind you. If they're not getting it done, vote your leadership out.

I've honestly never understood this. This "teachers don't make enough" shit has been going on since I was a kid. Since I graduated HS in 1988, I figure people who like to work with children have had ample time to determine a different career path.

Maybe if enough of you decided against teaching, then people would recognize how valuable you are, and supply/demand would kick in. But nope... every year, more self-seen martyrs churn themselves out of the colleges, acting like they're answering some kind of calling, and bitching about the pay all the way to the grave.

Does it suck? Absolutely, and I vote for salary increases for teachers and more $$$ for schools every time a measure comes up. But if you don't like working outside, maybe you shouldn't become a construction worker. Don't like getting shot at? The Army's a bad move. And if you want a high-paying job, clearly public education isn't where you should be.

I'd expect someone responsible for educating children to be able to make the deduction.
i think this post deserves a "you're a real fucking asshole"

at least these teachers are bithing about thier pay, instead of bitching about other people bitching....which is what were just doing...

ggw

« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2005, 02:04:00 pm »
Originally posted by sonickteam4:
 i think this post deserves a "you're a real fucking asshole"

at least these teachers are bithing about thier pay, instead of bitching about other people bitching....which is what were just doing...
Wait a second....

Aren't you just bitching about people bitching about other people bitching?

sonickteam2

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2005, 02:09:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  Wait a second....

no, i wasnt bitching.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2005, 02:26:00 pm »

Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
no, i wasnt bitching. [/b]
bitch!
(o|o)

Bags

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2005, 02:43:00 pm »
Originally posted by HoyaParanoia:
  bitch!
Thank god that wasn't a "Bee-otch"....when is THAT little trend gonna fuckin' end.

tenfifteen

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2005, 03:33:00 pm »

i think this post deserves a "you're a real fucking asshole"[/b]
Thanks! Man, some people are too easy. ZING!