Author Topic: The Grammys  (Read 9497 times)

Mobius

Re: The Grammys
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2011, 12:52:58 pm »
I liked how Lady Gaga played her new song which is pretty universally considered a Madonna impersonation then thanked Whitney Houston for inspiring her to do the song.  That's good misdirection.

Interesting how Arcade Fire can be a band that sells out MSG twice and still be an under the radar upset Record of the Year winner.   Don't underestimate Arcade Fire.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 12:58:34 pm by Mobius »

godsshoeshine

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2011, 01:42:48 pm »
o/\o

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2011, 02:03:15 pm »
http://whoisarcadefire.tumblr.com/

"The grammy people have lost their mind...who are the Suburbs and how in heck did they win album of the year...smh"

LOL
<sig>

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2011, 02:12:40 pm »
http://whoisarcadefire.tumblr.com/

"The grammy people have lost their mind...who are the Suburbs and how in heck did they win album of the year...smh"

LOL

The Suburbs was a pretty cool band from NYC during the '80s. Saw them a bunch of times.  :D ;D

walkonby

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2011, 02:20:07 pm »
i like that arcade fire album.  never listened to them before and i think every song is just as great as the last one . . . and to me that makes a great album.  and i couldn't hear, "man that sounds like ________."

but what do i know, i like widespread panic.

eltee

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2011, 05:30:47 pm »
For once, I agree with you.  Although I do think it's cool that a band who doesn't get much radio play from the autotune stations won album of the year.
To be specific, they won best rock album. Nice to see other bands in the nomination list, but they are overshadowed by all the hoopla of other artists and outfits. The Grammys have been a joke for a couple of decades now. Let's hope Muse's notoriety isn't b/c they are the "Twilight" band.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2011, 05:57:02 pm »
What? Really? I guess Muse are played on the radio now so they must suck. Their last album wasn't great, but I always thought they had a couple amazing albums... Oh well.
‼‼?‼‼

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2011, 06:54:49 pm »
The Suburbs was a pretty cool band from NYC during the '80s.

BZZZZT!!! They were from Minneapolis.
😐 🎶

Jaguar

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2011, 07:33:38 pm »
^ I think you're right now that I think of it; however, they were playing in NYC (The Roxy, I think) everytime I was in town. They spent a lot of time touring the NE East Coast too.

yohansen5b

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2011, 07:49:33 pm »
^ I think you're right now that I think of it; however, they were playing in NYC (The Roxy, I think) everytime I was in town. They spent a lot of time touring the NE East Coast too.

The Suburbs were indeed from Minneapolis, according to wikipedia.  However, I can't verify The Suburb's wiki page wasn't defaced by Justin Bieber fans.

Jaguar

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2011, 08:15:05 pm »
The Suburbs - 'Love Is The Law'

It was always a good night when The Suburbs were in town.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2011, 08:57:12 pm »
Glen Beck on Muse

Glenn Beck calls Muse's Grammys performance 'a call for revolution'

the right-wing radio host suggested  ?Uprising? was inciting revolution. ?You have basically a call for revolution by this group,? Beck said. ?Now, you have to remember these are Europeans, and they have been degraded for a very long time. Really, since the beginning of time. They have had very few glimpses of real freedom, even when England won the Second World War. They didn?t go into freedom. That?s where the Road to Serfdom came from.?

http://music-mix.ew.com/2011/02/14/glenn-beck-muse-revolution/

so many blow-hards
T.Rex

Jaguar

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2011, 09:06:01 pm »
Glen Beck is a cat turd.

In other news....

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2011, 11:10:47 pm »
Glen Beck on Muse

the right-wing radio host suggested  ?Uprising? was inciting revolution. ?You have basically a call for revolution by this group,? Beck said. ?Now, you have to remember these are Europeans, and they have been degraded for a very long time. Really, since the beginning of time. They have had very few glimpses of real freedom, even when England won the Second World War. They didn?t go into freedom. That?s where the Road to Serfdom came from.?

so many blow-hards
'
Let's look at this logically:

Muse represents a call for revolution.

Any call for revolution in the post-modern world is represented by Che Guevera.

Therefore, Matt Bellamy is the new Che Guevera.

(Despite what English majors who still read Cosmo and watch "Gossip Girl" think)
Che Guevera, at no point in his life, ate pussy.

Matt Bellamy knocked up Goldie Hawn's daughter.

Therefore, Muse cannot represent a call for revolution.

Reductio ad absurdum

Counterpoint:

* - Goldie Hawn's daughter is the sloppy seconds of the lead singer of the Black Crowes

- The Black Crowes had a song called "Goodbye Daughters of the Revolution"

Brian

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2011, 11:50:24 pm »
Glen Beck on Muse

so many blow-hards

somebody make sure glenn beck never gets his hands on any punk rock.
<sig>