Author Topic: New Radiohead album this week  (Read 60377 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: New Radiohead album this week
« Reply #135 on: September 27, 2011, 12:17:12 pm »
Ok, any of you NY nut residents want to tell me what to do kill time before the show??  I'll be arriving around 11am or so Thursday  ;D

things nearby: go for a walk in central park if the weather is nice.  or gawk at times square - scary, but worth seeing at least once. 

if you've got time, hop on the subway and check out SoHo or the west village/chelsea or hit up chinatown.

people will be lining up outside the Roseland all day.  while i wouldn't suggest spending your whole day in line (NYC has way to much to offer!), getting there a little in advance and soaking up the pre-game atmosphere can be fun.
<sig>

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #136 on: September 27, 2011, 12:22:21 pm »
Roseland has horrible sightlines. Im sure by 11am people will already be in line to be towards the front. If you dont care (and a warning if youre stuck in back - it will suck - thats a guarantee - chatty people/bar, etc) - theres a really great cheap bar not too far in the Times Square area.

The Village always is a good place to kill time (east village or west village) - lots of good food, shops, etc. The Highline is really nice and theyve extended it even further down. Theres some ice cream trucks now permanently in the area - not sure what else theyve put in the area but its a gorgeous park.

Oh yeah - and Hells Kitchen is right there with lots of great restaurants. Depending on what you fancy, its pretty much all there (just head west) - away from Broadway/Times Square and 9th Avenue is
where everything is. And Jimmy's Korner is the bar, fyi. I think on 43rd (bw 6th & bway) - near Town Hall if youre familiar with where it is. The best bar if youre planning on staying in that area. I can recommend other things - I used to live a few blocks from Roseland and know HK pretty well (although its a bit more popular/trendy since I left the neighborhood).

Ok, any of you NY nut residents want to tell me what to do kill time before the show??  I'll be arriving around 11am or so Thursday  ;D
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 12:26:01 pm by xneverwherex »
HeyLa

Mobius

« Reply #137 on: September 27, 2011, 12:26:07 pm »
New de Kooning retrospective at the MOMA is a short walk from Roseland. 

wml7

« Reply #138 on: September 27, 2011, 12:32:55 pm »
Roseland has horrible sightlines. Im sure by 11am people will already be in line to be towards the front. If you dont care (and a warning if youre stuck in back - it will suck - thats a guarantee - chatty people/bar, etc) - theres a really great cheap bar not too far in the Times Square area.

The Village always is a good place to kill time (east village or west village) - lots of good food, shops, etc. The Highline is really nice and theyve extended it even further down. Theres some ice cream trucks now permanently in the area - not sure what else theyve put in the area but its a gorgeous park.

Is it hard to maneuver your way up front??  I mean if you go in from the side isn't it possible??  I definitely will not get in line that early at the Roseland maybe around 3 or 4 or so, we'll see  ;D

wml7

« Reply #139 on: September 27, 2011, 12:38:24 pm »

things nearby: go for a walk in central park if the weather is nice.  or gawk at times square - scary, but worth seeing at least once. 

if you've got time, hop on the subway and check out SoHo or the west village/chelsea or hit up chinatown.

people will be lining up outside the Roseland all day.  while i wouldn't suggest spending your whole day in line (NYC has way to much to offer!), getting there a little in advance and soaking up the pre-game atmosphere can be fun.

Yeah, I've seen Times square and been to Chinatown before.  Maybe I'll do soho and west village/chelsea, thanks  ;D

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #140 on: September 27, 2011, 12:51:13 pm »
Is it hard to maneuver your way up front??  I mean if you go in from the side isn't it possible??  I definitely will not get in line that early at the Roseland maybe around 3 or 4 or so, we'll see  ;D

the roseland is approximately 6 times as large as the floor of the 930 - equivalent of 2 wide by 3 deep, by my estimate.  that's a lot of bodies to get around.  also, RH fans aren't particularly chill - many will be pressing forward so there won't be a ton of room to walk around, some folks won't be letting you pass by, etc...  based on my 3 roseland experiences, you can definitely improve your location when you first enter but once the room fills up it's harder to move around than it is at most other venues.  having a good spot and drinking during the show are mutually exclusive - making your way back from the bar (or bathroom) to center floor is difficult to impossible.
<sig>

wml7

« Reply #141 on: September 27, 2011, 12:53:58 pm »
great, just great

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #142 on: September 27, 2011, 01:34:19 pm »

As part of the "new normal" you're all going to look back on this with "Smashing Pumpkins/Zeitgeist/They're crap but no one wants to admit it" regret.  If Radiohead were R.E.M., "King of Limbs" is their "Accelerate."  One day soon you're going to go to a Radiohead concert and realize your just watching Emerson, Lake and Palmer with samplers.

Brian

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #143 on: September 27, 2011, 01:36:14 pm »
What side are you going in from is my question? There is no side to really move up. Theres benches on one side but the problem is its not near the middle. So then you have to push your way through people. And if youve been there all night - I guarantee people are not that nice. Its a massively huge floor as sweetcell said. And its hard to get through anywhere. That place is somehow not designed for masses of people - its just too crowded and hard to move around.

Im sure you can get 'closer' to the front, but if youre not there early and want to be on the rail, its not going to happen. Also - dont expect to be able to get back to where you were if its that crowded. Drinking and having a good spot do  not go well together. But you can always drink at the front bar nearish the stage and watch it moreso from the side. Not sure if they ever make that bar VIP. Id imagine the entire upstairs is going to be VIP.

If youre worried about it - head straight to Roseland and check out how the lines are. But based on friends going - I know everyone is showing up super early.

HeyLa

James Ford

« Reply #144 on: September 27, 2011, 01:38:13 pm »
I agree up to a point.

I think you're giving them too much credit by saying that they're actually going to realize it.

James

As part of the "new normal" you're all going to look back on this with "Smashing Pumpkins/Zeitgeist/They're crap but no one wants to admit it" regret.  If Radiohead were R.E.M., "King of Limbs" is their "Accelerate."  One day soon you're going to go to a Radiohead concert and realize your just watching Emerson, Lake and Palmer with samplers.

Brian

hutch

« Reply #145 on: September 27, 2011, 01:39:48 pm »

Brian

I've been looking at it like that for years...but it doesn't matter.. let people have their fun.

wml7

« Reply #146 on: September 27, 2011, 01:41:11 pm »
What side are you going in from is my question? There is no side to really move up. Theres benches on one side but the problem is its not near the middle. So then you have to push your way through people. And if youve been there all night - I guarantee people are not that nice. Its a massively huge floor as sweetcell said. And its hard to get through anywhere. That place is somehow not designed for masses of people - its just too crowded and hard to move around.

Im sure you can get 'closer' to the front, but if youre not there early and want to be on the rail, its not going to happen. Also - dont expect to be able to get back to where you were if its that crowded. Drinking and having a good spot do  not go well together. But you can always drink at the front bar nearish the stage and watch it moreso from the side. Not sure if they ever make that bar VIP. Id imagine the entire upstairs is going to be VIP.

If youre worried about it - head straight to Roseland and check out how the lines are. But based on friends going - I know everyone is showing up super early.

I always have the notion you can maneuver your way up to the front if you go in from either right side or left instead of going right through the middle.  Now Roseland is probably set up differently which I don't know but I guess I'll find out   ;D

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #147 on: September 27, 2011, 01:57:29 pm »
are you two so bitter about not scoring tickets that you're now turning on the band?  how childish.
<sig>

slappy

« Reply #148 on: September 27, 2011, 02:39:31 pm »

Brian

The irony is you'll be still be bitter and angry reading others people's latest posts of musical enjoyment that you'll forget to post an "I told you so".
Leaving you, yet again, to only find fleeting happiness through feeble attempts at disparaging remarks.
Sucks to be you.

wml7

« Reply #149 on: September 27, 2011, 02:46:29 pm »

Brian

Wow, Emerson, Lake and Palmer... I remember that name back from the 50's  ;D