Author Topic: Kurt Cobain 30 years gone  (Read 423 times)

Yada

Re: Kurt Cobain 30 years gone
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2024, 03:34:07 pm »
I remember in 1993 you could get gas for 87 cents a gallon around here….

the combo of a pack of jack's cigarettes and a gallon of gas at Sheetz for $1.99 were epic times.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2024, 03:50:13 pm »

the combo of a pack of jack's cigarettes and a gallon of gas at Sheetz for $1.99 were epic times.
As a non-smoker I am unfamiliar with this brand -- what are these super cheap cigs and what do they cost now?
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2024, 04:14:25 pm »

As a non-smoker I am unfamiliar with this brand -- what are these super cheap cigs and what do they cost now?

The Google tells me $19.95 per pack, but you can't smoke them.

https://vintagecigarette.com/product/jacks-menthol-full-flavor-cigarette-soft-pack/

Hutch

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2024, 07:35:22 pm »
Never realized Kurt learned Where did you sleep last night from Mark Lanegan. He actually plays on Lanegan’s version on his 1990 solo album The Winding Sheet.

Yada

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2024, 09:41:43 pm »

In the early ’90s, Sheetz sold Jacks, its own cigarette brand. At the time, it was experimenting with in-house brands, including the loudly advertised—and then quietly discontinued—cola brand It! (exclamation points theirs).

Jacks cost $1 a pack, when the average cigarette price per pack was $1.40. As fewer people smoked, tobacco companies increased prices to maintain profit margins. Sheetz actually made less from selling a pack of Jacks at $1 than it did a pack of Marlboros or Camels at $1.40 (15 cents versus 45 cents), but the low price on cigarettes kept people coming in, and of course no one ever leaves Sheetz with just what they came for.

“Sandwiches were up, drinks were up, candy bars were up,” Louie Sheetz, brother to Steve and Bob, told the author of Made to Order. “The discounted cigarettes were bringing in foot traffic, and customers were buying other products.”

Mobius

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2024, 08:33:45 am »

It's funny to listen back to nevermind that was considered "grunge" at the time, yet to me now it seems so polished. What say you, hutch?

Grunge was a scene, an aesthetic, an attitude.  Seattle. Flannel shirt, decomposing jeans, long hair.  Heroin (idealism mixed with nihilism and hopelessness) and underlying heaviness. 

Musically Nevermind was something else entirely.  Besides being polished the songs take off like a jet. . .nothing grungy about that.  The grunge was in the attitude, the lyrics, the compulsion to let the jet crash . . . .

Yada

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2024, 10:30:13 am »

It's funny to listen back to nevermind that was considered "grunge" at the time, yet to me now it seems so polished. What say you, hutch?

Grunge was a scene, an aesthetic, an attitude.  Seattle. Flannel shirt, decomposing jeans, long hair.  Heroin (idealism mixed with nihilism and hopelessness) and underlying heaviness. 

Musically Nevermind was something else entirely.  Besides being polished the songs take off like a jet. . .nothing grungy about that.  The grunge was in the attitude, the lyrics, the compulsion to let the jet crash . . . .

Respek