Author Topic: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition  (Read 1443393 times)

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
Re: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition
« Reply #4680 on: August 31, 2021, 10:33:47 am »

Who?
Who?

Dylan. Didn't he sell the rights to his whole catalog?

« Reply #4681 on: August 31, 2021, 10:38:23 am »

Who?
Who?

Dylan. Didn't he sell the rights to his whole catalog?
Not unless it's being broadcast/streamed or being sold as a physical product
I don't think bands pay royalties for doing covers at a concert.  But if they release that concert, they need to
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?

« Reply #4683 on: August 31, 2021, 12:35:47 pm »
nice website
slack

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #4684 on: September 05, 2021, 02:24:49 pm »
Is Svdden Death a black metal tribute to Chvrches?
😐 🎶

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4685 on: September 10, 2021, 05:38:31 pm »
to put dc9, songbyrd and pieshop out of business

#thanksSeth
I mean we should thank him. The proliferation of music venues in the District has been horrible for us, the consumers, compared to the halcyon days of his monopoly. I can barely even enjoy live music anymore knowing there are other options out there too.

there was never a monopoly, let's not erect strawmen.

a proliferation of venues can be detrimental to the consumer: there is a limited supply of talent, so more clubs competing for same artists = need to offer more $$ = added cost past on to consumer.  of course it's no better at the other end of the spectrum.
<sig>

Starsky

« Reply #4686 on: September 10, 2021, 05:47:09 pm »

#thanksSeth
I mean we should thank him. The proliferation of music venues in the District has been horrible for us, the consumers, compared to the halcyon days of his monopoly. I can barely even enjoy live music anymore knowing there are other options out there too.

a proliferation of venues can be detrimental to the consumer: there is a limited supply of talent, so more clubs competing for same artists = need to offer more $$ = added cost past on to consumer.  of course it's no better at the other end of the spectrum.

Definitely true. It’s hard to say how much of the hike in tickets is due to having so many venues competing for talent….but it has to account for a chunk

Also the fact we have so many new venues and venues on the way sort of disproves the idea that IMP is somehow a reason why venues are closing (not that they are). This is not Walmart or Amazon causing small retailers to close.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #4687 on: September 10, 2021, 05:47:52 pm »

#thanksSeth

Look undeniably there are more venue options in the area now than 15 years ago when IMP consumed a much larger % of the market share. And Seth very much so got on here all the time and told us the sky would fall and concerts would become astronomically high if FSS opened and there was more competition in the area. You’re parroting this line. 

And the reality is, that was ass. DC was consistently much higher than other comparable markets for tickets 15 years ago and now: not so much. A DC show (especially ones at The Clib) much more look comparable to other markets now. Prices did not inflate in DC any quicker than they inflated in Philly just because now IMP had to bid vs someone else. The market doesn’t contain that sort of elasticity.
LVMH

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #4688 on: September 10, 2021, 05:48:58 pm »
Also the fact we have so many new venues and venues on the way sort of disproves the idea that IMP is somehow a reason why venues are closing (not that they are).
Who claimed they were? I don’t recall ever thinking this much less stating it.
LVMH

« Reply #4689 on: September 10, 2021, 05:53:49 pm »
venues that somewhat recently closed: Blowtel, wonderland ballroom, U Street, velvet lounge
am I missing any?
slack

Starsky

« Reply #4690 on: September 10, 2021, 06:10:20 pm »
How do venues function? They book acts or they are closed.

They submit offer sheets. Presumably, generally, artists go with the higher offer. If they were just going to go with Venue A they wouldn’t ask for offers and just ring up Venue A. Some bands have established relationships with area promoters and they just go with that regularly. Live Nation owns venues in many cities and can do package offers like “Hey Black Crowes why don’t you spend all summer touring our outdoor sheds?” But in general you have more and more venues going after a somewhat similar number of artists I think simple rules of supply and demand tell you price goes up. In a former life I saw breakdowns and some artists got a very high amount of the ticket revenue. I remember Mark Knopfler was a crazy amount like 70-80%!

I didn’t say the sky fell and I think it’s pretty clear that even in the changing landscape must be doing ok or they wouldn’t have opened the Anthem.

Because other things are going on…. The DC area has been doing very well….until covid at least more people were moving to area, more people with higher incomes etc  And I actually think I have noticed a widening spread between ticket prices in DC and some other area markets but it’s anecdotal. Anyways point is even if prices have gone up people seem able to pay them (which is why they keep going up)

You also see more and more cover bands being booked every day at venues that didn’t used to do that much

I admit this is mostly conjecture. One would need to talk to a booker I guess

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4691 on: September 10, 2021, 06:11:52 pm »
And Seth very much so got on here all the time and told us the sky would fall and concerts would become astronomically high if FSS opened and there was more competition in the area. You’re parroting this line. 

i realize you're quick to dismiss everything seth says out of hand, but basic market theory is undeniable.  just because you don't like the speaker doesn't mean you can ignore supply and demand.

And the reality is, that was ass. DC was consistently much higher than other comparable markets for tickets 15 years ago and now: not so much. A DC show (especially ones at The Clib) much more look comparable to other markets now. Prices did not inflate in DC any quicker than they inflated in Philly just because now IMP had to bid vs someone else. The market doesn’t contain that sort of elasticity.

there is a pandora's box of variable that contribute to the historical trends of concert tickets (a highly localized product).  pointing to a single variable and saying it proves why the price of a ticket here is (or isn't) comparable to the price of a ticket somewhere else isn't insightful. you look at philly and see that trend, i look at NYC and i don't see it. 
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 06:13:38 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>

Starsky

« Reply #4692 on: September 10, 2021, 06:14:00 pm »
venues that somewhat recently closed: Blowtel, wonderland ballroom, U Street, velvet lounge
am I missing any?

Different reasons for all of them but pandemic didn’t help.

But it stands to reason if you have so many venues the ones that don’t perform as well will close

Wonderland was a venue? I would say it was a bar
Velvet Lounge was run into the ground over decades…

Gypsy Sallys closed a while back

Starsky

« Reply #4693 on: September 10, 2021, 06:24:23 pm »
18th St Lounge

« Reply #4694 on: September 10, 2021, 07:56:35 pm »
18th St Lounge
re-opening in blagden alley and keeping name
slack