Author Topic: The Black Angels  (Read 2954 times)

Sir HC

The Black Angels
« on: April 04, 2011, 12:30:21 am »
Other than the drums being too low in the mix, it was a great show.  Openers, Suuns (thought too close to Sunn(O))) but they pronounce it Soons (and they are Canadian)) were fun too, don't know if the guy on the left could play guitar but he did some great stuff with it.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
Re: The Black Angels
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 10:25:36 am »
I dug it.  Really liked the openers too.  And to whoever created that thread about the club's bar lights being too bright, thanks a lot.  Now the bar lights bug the shit out of me.  They ARE too bright.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 11:13:13 am by chaz »

hutch

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 11:07:05 am »
I dug it.  Really liked the openers too.  And to whoever created that thread about the club's bar lights being too bright, thanks a lot.  Now the bar lights but the shit out of me.  They ARE too bright.

hey man don't drag me down with you!

Vas Deferens

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 11:24:02 am »
LOVED the show but I was expecting a longer set  :'(
(_|_)

Unsanity

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 03:16:08 pm »
I went to the Dropout Boogie Tour back in November, anyone know know how the Black Angels did compared to that show?

Relaxer

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 04:01:38 pm »
SHIT, they just played a set in my office and I totally missed it because I went running. Oh well, I hate to waste a nice sunny day.
oword

Mr.Whippy

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 04:54:59 pm »
I went to the Dropout Boogie Tour back in November, anyone know know how the Black Angels did compared to that show?

I was at both.  I'd say I liked the Black Angels set last night more than the set in November, but they were somewhat similar.  Last night was a bit longer, I think (though still too short), and the band seemed a bit more "on" to me last night.

The setlists were fairly similar.  Lots of songs from Passover played each time (though no "First Vietnam War" last night).  Probably the biggest difference in setlist were that mostly different songs from the second record were played each time.

Last night also had one song done solo by the singer.  I think it was a cover, anyone know what it was?

notme

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 09:23:57 pm »
i rode past 930 about 3pm monday and ba's tour bus was still there.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 09:31:11 pm »
^^ they had the day off today and their next show is tomorrow in Philly, not really a long drive...
(_|_)

teepo

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 12:05:53 am »

Last night also had one song done solo by the singer.  I think it was a cover, anyone know what it was?

i believe it was from his solo album.

Vas Deferens

(_|_)

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2011, 01:54:32 pm »
By the odd chance that you happen to be in Montreal tonight, or have friends there you might want to recommend this to, Rishi Dhir (ex-The High Dials now with Elephant Stone) was asked to play sitar with The Black Angels tonight.

My impression was that meant that Rishi would actually be playing with the band rather than opening for them. Would LOVE to see that!

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 09:41:48 am »
By the odd chance that you happen to be in Montreal tonight, or have friends there you might want to recommend this to, Rishi Dhir (ex-The High Dials now with Elephant Stone) was asked to play sitar with The Black Angels tonight.

My impression was that meant that Rishi would actually be playing with the band rather than opening for them. Would LOVE to see that!

so i sent this info to a few music-loving residents of MTL and one buddy checked out the show.  his feedback:

"Topo sur la soirée.
No sitar player.
The first band The suuns was better.
I was out with my two croatian friends that was fun.
I am more into techno these days but once in awhile da rock kicks in again.
Take care, love ya.
"

aww... teh luv.  but apparently no sitar.
<sig>

Relaxer

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2011, 09:56:19 am »
Ha ha he loves you homo
oword

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2011, 11:22:39 am »
Damn. What a shame. Guess that may explain something about why Rishi isn't with The High Dials anymore. I know he got married and had a baby and that he was having lots of other family pressures; I think of the 'why don't you settle down and get a real job' variety. It may have been a case of the old family comes first once he popped the proposition to his wife. Could have been nice.