Author Topic: Stone Roses reunion rumors surface again  (Read 23203 times)

betao

Re: Stone Roses reunion rumors surface again
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2011, 05:38:21 pm »

The Primal Scream do "Screamadelica" shows never hit America did they?

OR the Suede reunion

OR the Blur reunion.

What kind of venues could the Stone Roses play if they played over here?

Slightly less than the Pixies, right?

Brian

Suede played Coachella. It was a pretty good show.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2011, 05:40:21 pm »
You know Brian, for some of us, it's just about the music. Some of us couldn't give a crap what Kurt or any of the Gallegher's (except Frank) have said. Don't care what the NME, Spin, Pitchfork or Rolling Stone are pushing. Hey, my musical tastes pretty much prove that since most of what I listen to is ignored by them. It's just the music.

I call bullshit on this.  Where did you first hear of The Stone Roses?  How about the Pixies?  MTV?  HFS?  All the hits they had? 

Brian

Probably HFS, WCVT or WJHU. Definitely not any of the rags I listed.

Where did you hear of Fall Out Boy?

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2011, 05:43:13 pm »
You know Brian, for some of us, it's just about the music. Some of us couldn't give a crap what Kurt or any of the Gallegher's (except Frank) have said. Don't care what the NME, Spin, Pitchfork or Rolling Stone are pushing. Hey, my musical tastes pretty much prove that since most of what I listen to is ignored by them. It's just the music.

I call bullshit on this.  Where did you first hear of The Stone Roses?  How about the Pixies?  MTV?  HFS?  All the hits they had? 

Brian

Probably HFS, WCVT or WJHU. Definitely not any of the rags I listed.

Where did you hear of Fall Out Boy?

Underground mix tapes and word of mouth!  Duh!

Brian

Jaguar

« Reply #63 on: October 18, 2011, 05:47:28 pm »
^ Yeah, those are all cool and helpful but all of those people get their info from elsewhere too and sometimes it's from places that Papa may venture into.

Besides, back then, college and alternative (note the lower case 'a') was actually worth listening to. Nothing like the over commercially controlled crap of today. Go back just a little further and you would often actually hear true underground cuts. WGTB (from Georgetown University) use to be incredible at airing such music before the hierarchy took them down.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 05:51:11 pm by Jaguar »

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #64 on: October 18, 2011, 05:54:32 pm »

^^^

You forgot "Kids!  Get off my lawn!"

Brian

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #65 on: October 18, 2011, 05:56:50 pm »
I'm guessing Brian has not only never got laid, he's never even had a stinky pinky, never mind a female tongue in his mouth......

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #66 on: October 18, 2011, 06:02:50 pm »
I'm guessing Brian has not only never got laid, he's never even had a stinky pinky, never mind a female tongue in his mouth......

I find that very revealing.  Never experienced coitus?  Maybe.  Never been romantically kissed?  Possibly.  It's the one in the middle that you're so eager to tell me I've never experienced.....  I'm sure that was a regular part of your childhood in the council estates and at boys school.

Brian

Jaguar

« Reply #67 on: October 18, 2011, 06:10:17 pm »

^^^

You forgot "Kids!  Get off my lawn!"

Brian

I never tell anyone to stay off the grass. Maybe you should try some. Chill out a bit. Your extreme ageism is showing and it's very ugly and even a bit psychotic. Sociopathic.

One of these days, if you live that long, I bet anything that you'll grow into one of those old curmudgeons who have utter and complete contempt for the younger generations. It's sort of like a leopard not changing its spots except that it only involves an ever so slight adjustment of which generations you hate.

Mobius

« Reply #68 on: October 18, 2011, 06:15:40 pm »
Everyone in America learned about the Stone Roses the same way.  They got the cassette from a friend that was always cooler than them. . . .then listened to it repeatedly, perhaps to the point of obsession, often wondering how something could be so effortless yet impossibly amazing.  If they were lucky they caught the Fools Gold video late night on 120 Minutes and wondered if it was a dream or if the coolest future imaginable was already happening in Engerland.

Nothing similar happened with Suede, Blur, Manic Street Preachers, etc . . .

ggw

« Reply #69 on: October 18, 2011, 06:27:09 pm »
So who else put on the debut album at work today?

hutch

« Reply #70 on: October 18, 2011, 06:28:51 pm »
i stole tape from the gift shop at my college early 90... i think i thought it was a heavy metal band

fell in love with it instantly..

live they were always hit and miss..

i'd like to hear the debut but my lps are a mess right now..maybe i dig it out.. i do have a hankering for it..

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #71 on: October 18, 2011, 06:42:57 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-15359644

Rite mait....sor'tid...top drawer that is man.

this made it feel real, felt a little giddy after watching it...  I'm thinking Merriweather late fall 2012 and maybe Seth and company will turn into a mini festival with some old school acid/techno/house djs digging out the vinyl
T.Rex

wml7

« Reply #72 on: October 18, 2011, 07:12:43 pm »
What about The Seahorses?  ;D

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #73 on: October 19, 2011, 12:34:00 am »
Everyone in America learned about the Stone Roses the same way.  They got the cassette from a friend that was always cooler than them. . . .then listened to it repeatedly, perhaps to the point of obsession, often wondering how something could be so effortless yet impossibly amazing.  If they were lucky they caught the Fools Gold video late night on 120 Minutes and wondered if it was a dream or if the coolest future imaginable was already happening in Engerland.

Nothing similar happened with Suede, Blur, Manic Street Preachers, etc . . .

That album's NOT THAT GOOD!  You're looking at it through the rose-coloured glasses of nostalgia.  "Bye Bye Badman" is ok but the "Scarborough Fair" one?  The one that's just another song backwards?  Puh-leeze.  And the elephant in the room is that they pretty much, by all accounts, sucked live.  Have you LISTENED to the Spike Island show?  Noel Gallagher claims he's heard a version of "I am the Resurrection" they did in which each member is playing a completely different portion of the song.

This isn't because you people are losing your jobs and have a lot of student loans to pay for is it?  So sad!  I really feel for you.....

They were the first big U.K. "Next Big Thing" who fizzled out.   The Libertines have a more solid foundation for British bands that were hyped and lost it.  The Stone Roses are built on sand.  You'll see next summer.

Brian

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #74 on: October 19, 2011, 07:05:46 am »
I'm going to have to say that in terms of being pathetic and worthless the Hole and Smashing Pumpkins "reunions" top this one by a mile.  As I recall one Brian_Wallace attended a couple of those Hole "reunion" shows.

But whatever, it must be more important to go out and support bands offering fake nostalgia and playing dress-up.  See Semi Precious Weapons

T.Rex