Author Topic: OFWGKTA  (Read 19309 times)

Jesse

Re: OFWGKTA
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2011, 12:19:19 pm »
Tickets for the DC show just released

http://www.ticketalternative.com/Events/13931.aspx

azaghal1981

« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2011, 12:23:40 pm »
God...that room will be a fire hazard.
احمد

nkotb

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2011, 12:34:10 pm »
The venue served tasty beverages in glass bottles during that show?  What were they thinking?

nkotb

« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2011, 08:27:11 am »
Well, no bottles were thrown, but I did have the pleasure of some dude storming out of the front of the crowd just to throw up all over the floor next to me.  Pretty awesome.

Pretty good show, IMO, and better than most hip hop shows I've seen if only because they really put their all into it and didn't rely on medleys.  I can't say these guys will be around forever or have much lasting impact, but you can't say they're not trying to leave a mark.  They were definitely fired up, and I guess that's what I like most about the albums...it's pure id-driven release on their part.  That's not something that has lasting power, so we'll see how they grow now that the spotlight is really on them.  They're definitely going for broke, though.

Their biggest strength is definitely the collaboration; even some of the so-so songs last night were helped by how urgently they performed and how everyone was involved.  If they released more straight OFWGKTA albums with everyone rather than solo albums, they might fair better.  I think Azaghal said it best int he other thread; even Tyler's albums don't really stand-up by themselves fully, and that's why Radical is probably my favorite album from these guys.

Oh, and I'm not taking full credit here, but I was definitely standing right under the spotlight when Tyler and the gang started making fun of the "middle-aged caucasians" in the middle of the room avoiding the pit to make sure we didn't break our backs.  Pretty funny (and maybe spot on?) them mentioning that we were there due to our mid-life crises.  Boy, that made me feel old as shit...

Relaxer

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2011, 09:09:48 am »
That's funny, my buddy (the really tall dude) said he thought Tyler was pointing/looking directly at him, so we were right behind you. We were right there when that dude burst through and zooked on the floor.

I thought it was a fun show. If I hadn't been familiar with their stuff, the first half would have confirmed every shit stereotype of live hip-hop, as in tuneless shouting. But it settled into a pretty good groove about halfway through.

I'm kind of the opposite POV though, I think Tyler is the star and the rest are 2nd/3rd tier. On record, stuff like Fuck the Police and French sound good with all of them, but on stage it just sounded real rough and all over the place. That whole Frank Ocean thing was kind of a drag too.

I think Tyler is going to be a star in some fashion. Dude has too much talent and charisma. I could see him getting into film and becoming a mix of Spike Jonez, the Jackass guys and Wacka Flocka Flame.
oword

nkotb

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2011, 09:20:30 am »
I kind of agree about Tyler vs. the rest; I was talking more to their recorded work as collaborations than on stage.  But I'm still not sold that a Tyler solo show would work, at least not yet; his albums have a bit more filler (IMO) than he could pull off live.  Admittedly, though, I'm not a huge "full hip-hop album" person; even with the albums I love, I still only really listen to individual tracks rather than an album.  Just seems like a singles genre to me, but I'm also white as shit, so what do I know!?

Even with 7 or 8 of them there, a little over an hour was just enough to leave me happy.  Funny, though...I've never really minded the "tuneless shouting" of live hip-hop, especially when its brought with that urgency.  Doesn't work for everyone, but being that these kids seem to be running on pure adrenaline, I'm OK with it.

There was definitely a collective of adult, white males under that spotlight...it's like our aged gravitational pull threw everyone together.  Wish I would've known it was you...would've said hi.

That's funny, my buddy (the really tall dude) said he thought Tyler was pointing/looking directly at him, so we were right behind you. We were right there when that dude burst through and zooked on the floor.

I thought it was a fun show. If I hadn't been familiar with their stuff, the first half would have confirmed every shit stereotype of live hip-hop, as in tuneless shouting. But it settled into a pretty good groove about halfway through.

I'm kind of the opposite POV though, I think Tyler is the star and the rest are 2nd/3rd tier. On record, stuff like Fuck the Police and French sound good with all of them, but on stage it just sounded real rough and all over the place. That whole Frank Ocean thing was kind of a drag too.

I think Tyler is going to be a star in some fashion. Dude has too much talent and charisma. I could see him getting into film and becoming a mix of Spike Jonez, the Jackass guys and Wacka Flocka Flame.

walkonby

« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2011, 09:21:43 am »
http://pitchfork.com/news/42576-glaad-speaks-out-against-tyler-the-creator/

fuck them

fuck him

fuck their band

fuck anybody who supports them

fuck people who are stupid that let how they are raised by over religious mind control influence how they see others.

i'm sure if a band put out songs passing judgement on black people . . . tyler wouldn't be thinking "people are just taking it too seroiusly."

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2011, 09:30:46 am »
I thought they were great, I was on the fence about going to the show, but they are great. They have amazing energy. I actually thought that Left Brain had the most energy of them all. I really loved how there was a good mix of everyone and it wasn't just "the Tyler show". I like when they dropped the beat and kept rapping, or the crowd would sing. I thought they were great, glad I got tickets when they went on sale.
‼‼?‼‼

K8teebug

« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2011, 09:53:34 am »
I just can't get behind someone who talks about women that way.  Even if they "don't mean it".

nkotb

« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2011, 09:59:54 am »
I would never tell anyone to NOT take a stand against or "get over" language/ideas/etc. that they found offensive, but I think it's pretty easily overlooked that Tyler (at the minimum) is pretty rough on himself and his family throughout most of the songs as well.  I mean, he talks about killing himself just as much (and in much more realistic ways) than he ever talks about other violence.  I mean, is there much difference between his cartoon descriptions of violence than you'd find in, say, American Psycho?

I should note that I'm a straight, middle-class white male age 30-34, so I have nothing to really be offended about in any way, shape or form.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 10:02:16 am by nkotb »

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2011, 10:13:06 am »
I should note that I'm a straight, middle-class white male age 30-34, so I have nothing to really be offended about in any way, shape or form.

doesn't he go off on whiteys?  you could always be offended by that, if you're feeling left out.
<sig>

nkotb

« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2011, 10:15:21 am »
Boy, if he ever made a crack about shopping for organic avocados at Whole Foods or my all Ben Gibbard iTunes playlist, I'd be FURIOUS.

doesn't he go off on whiteys?  you could always be offended by that, if you're feeling left out.

James Ford

« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2011, 10:19:06 am »
Would that crack  be aimed at whiteys or gays?

Boy, if he ever made a crack about shopping for organic avocados at Whole Foods or my all Ben Gibbard iTunes playlist, I'd be FURIOUS.

wml7

« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2011, 10:19:20 am »
Was there an opner for the show??  What time did these fuckers start playing?  Checking them out at Sonar tonight  ;D