Author Topic: Ticket Service Charges  (Read 9990 times)

Bags

Re: Ticket Service Charges
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2004, 04:48:00 pm »
ggw, that was exactly my point -- you need some service so everyone can get tickets.

Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:

Originally posted by Bagster:
  Problem, Mank, is accessibility of tickets for customers who want to go to these shows, but may live too far out (or in another city) or work hours that bar them from getting to the club.
But without a ticket service, those people would be shit out of luck.  With a ticket service, they can overcome these accessibility issues much more easily.  I remember those ancient pre-internet days when you had to stand/sit/sleep in line outside for hours.  Which is a bigger loss - time or money?
 [/b]

Bags

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2004, 04:50:00 pm »
I think I offered that to someone once -- really, it could be done.  9:30 and Black Cat are both on my way home from work.

Originally posted by Guiny:
  Why dont you all give me your addresses and a check and concert list, i'll drive down to the club, pick up your tickets and mail them to you. You'd just have to pay for the price of the stamp.    :cool:  

mankie

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2004, 04:59:00 pm »

But without a ticket service, those people would be shit out of luck.  With a ticket service, they can overcome these accessibility issues much more easily.  I remember those ancient pre-internet days when you had to stand/sit/sleep in line outside for hours.  Which is a bigger loss - time or money?

[/b]
I don't think anyone minds a ticket service charge...it's just the amount of the charge that's the issue. For example, why is it per ticket, it should be per transaction, because if you're buying one or ten tickets you're still only getting the same 'service' for that transaction.

sonickteam2

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2004, 05:21:00 pm »
Originally posted by mankie:

[/b]
I don't think anyone minds a ticket service charge...it's just the amount of the charge that's the issue. For example, why is it per ticket, it should be per transaction, because if you're buying one or ten tickets you're still only getting the same 'service' for that transaction. [/b]
or perhaps a percentage of the sale.  say 10%.  that way if you buy 3 $50 tickets the serivce charge is $15, but if you only buy 2 $15 tickets, the charge is $3.  
   that way i am not spending $12 on 2 tickets to the DC101 $1 show!!!!!!

Got Haggis?

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2004, 05:33:00 pm »
look at the way fandango or moviephone.com works....$8 for a movie...and it's either .50 for $1 to buy your ticket online.

I don't see why tickets to shows charges are so much more...especially now that at least on ticketmaster.com you can even print out your ticket on your printer

ratioci nation

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2004, 05:40:00 pm »
Originally posted by Got Haggis?:
  .50 for $1
or not for

mankie

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2004, 05:43:00 pm »
Why can't we buy tickets for the 930 club FROM the 930 club website and pay the $1 club service charge like we do at the box office....or even $1.50 or something for the extra convenience of buying from 930.com.

thirsty moore

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2004, 05:49:00 pm »
That's a good idea.  What's keeping this from happening?  

Why can't we buy tickets for the 930 club FROM the 930 club website and pay the $1 club service charge like we do at the box office....or even $1.50 or something for the extra convenience of buying from 930.com.

nkotb

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2004, 05:55:00 pm »
There's a huge difference between someone who is already logging office hours at the club to print off a few tickets for you, and the implentation of an online ticket buying system.  

This site isn't exactly cutting edge; there would be a lot of work to be done to set up the website to both take orders, make sure the correct amount of tickets are available, print them out and send them.  

I doubt the club would be able to do this and only charge an extra 50 cents or so.  I really don't know all the ins and outs of web transactions, but there's a lot more to it than just making it so.  You also need to look at the extra manpower that would be needed to print and send all of the tickets, or even print and have them ready at will call.  So shut it, Thirsty.

Originally posted by thirsty moore:
  That's a good idea.  What's keeping this from happening?  

[/b]

ratioci nation

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2004, 05:56:00 pm »
I dont think there is much business incentive for the club to take on the overhead required to sell the tickets online themselves.

Edit - Yeah what NKOTB said

ggw

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2004, 05:58:00 pm »
From this old thread.

bikerchickdc:  With all the $$$ collected from ticket service charges, maybe 9:30 could eliminate the middle-man and just sell tickets directly to the public.

Seth Hurwitz:  wow, and then everybody could complain about how MY ticket company sucks

mattsway

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2004, 06:10:00 pm »
Thanks all for jumping on the wagon.  I'm out in the burbs.  I attend a show or so a month but at different venues so its usually difficult to plan too far in advance.  I'm not against a reasonable charge for the convenience and peace of mind of knowing I have a ticket.  The fees are just out of line.  I like the idea of scaling the fees based on ticket price.  If I buy some crappy seat at MCI Center for $75 Iâ??d probably be stupid enough to pay $15 in service fees.  For now I'm sticking to the small venues.

Enjoying the music.

Sir HC

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2004, 06:12:00 pm »
I think the Ottobar/Mission Media in baltimore does this.  I forget their charge, it is like $3 per ticket I think and that is just for your name on a list when you get to the show.

ratioci nation

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2004, 06:15:00 pm »
Originally posted by Sir HC:
  I think the Ottobar/Mission Media in baltimore does this.  I forget their charge, it is like $3 per ticket I think and that is just for your name on a list when you get to the show.
That is similar to how Metro Cafe use to do it if I remember correctly.

Ottobar sells through missiontix.com, which while it is affiliated, I thought it functioned as a separate ticket company as well.

Random Citizen

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2004, 06:16:00 pm »
Ottobar, Sidebar and a few other places in B'more use MissionTix for online ticket sales.

From the MissionTix's help section on processing fees: "Unless otherwise noted:

â?? Tickets that are $24.99 or less have a processing fee of $2.50 - $3.50
 â?? Tickets that are $25.00 - $49.99 have a processing fee of $4.25
 â?? Tickets that are $50.00 - $74.99 have a processing fee of $5.00
 â?? Tickets that are $75.00 - $100 have a processing fee of $5.75"

Originally posted by Sir HC: