Author Topic: PJ Harvey pisses off fans...and dog drinks toilet water  (Read 7181 times)

andyrichter

PJ Harvey pisses off fans...and dog drinks toilet water
« on: April 22, 2011, 01:13:12 am »
So PJ Harvey played NYC's Terminal 5 back to back nights this past week.  I went to both and had a blast.  This was my 3rd and 4th times seeing her and every one so far has reaffirmed my thoughts on her being one of my all time greatest acts to have seen live.  She's such an amazing charismatic performer, very theatrical, and has such a commanding stage presence with that voice(s).  Nearly 90 minutes, about 20 songs, which included all the songs from what's so far my leading candidate for record of the year, Let England Shake.  So now I'm reading reviews and reactions of her show and have come across a small part of her fanbase that's complaining (amongst other things, the choice of venue, the cramped spaces at a sold out show of all things) about the setlist.  That she concentrated too much on the new record (like I said about 20 songs, 12 of which were new) and didn't play enough old songs, therefore slighting her beloved, devoted fans who are the reason she has the privilege of performing for them.  I for one think this is ridiculous and she can play what she wants.  What's your guys take on this when you see a band who puts out a new record and devotes more than half of it to new material?  Unfair? Appropriate? PJ Harvey sucks?  Why didn't she play DC?  She's still relevant? :)

Vas Deferens

Re: PJ Harvey pisses off fans...and dog drinks toilet water
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 08:58:22 am »
Hmmm, not happy that there's a bigger PJ Harvey fan in this board.....(j/k)
I was at the first Terminal 5 show and had a blast as well. I expected to hear the whole album live based on the setlist from the European tour a month ago. I think the complaints are coming from casual fans or maybe from people who didn't actually go to the show(s)? I am assuming that you are referring to the comments from the brooklynvegan site. I think most of the commenters there are a bunch of trolls. Terminal 5 looks like a slightly bigger version of the 930 club but I think it's best experienced upfront. I got there around 6:15 pm and there were about 100 people in front of me but still managed to be in the second row in front of her (it helped that I knew which part of stage she was gonna be the whole time). I personally think that if you have a problem with the venue, don't go AT ALL (just ask azaghal). If you go to the yelp reviews of Terminal 5, you'll read people complaining that it's 'inconveniently located'....really? you can't walk 6-7 blocks? You're really that spoiled?

(Oh yeah, she's still relevant and it's a totally different experience with each tour...)

(_|_)

K8teebug

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 09:17:12 am »
The people who comment on Brooklyn Vegan are even more complainy than some of the people here.  I love the new PJ Harvey album.  She has a new album, she's going to play mainly those songs.  If you haven't learned that by now, don't know what's wrong with you.

Personally, I would love to hear the new stuff.  And her stage presence is like none other.

hutch

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 09:39:44 am »
nearly 90 minutes, eh

runwhiteyrun06

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 09:51:36 am »
After  never hearing PJ before, I bought Let England Shake last month. What a fantastic abum. I started listening to her old stuff and I think the new album is much better so I completely disagree  with the complaints.

James Ford

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 10:01:55 am »
I'm still waiting for more details on the dog that drank the toilet water.

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 10:10:48 am »
I'm sure this tour is to promote the new album so why wouldn't she perform the songs from it? Unfortunately there's no cure for stupid.

Same thing happened to a Joe Jackson show I went to years ago at Merriweather. Many in the audience were bitching because he sang the complete Blaze of Glory album, in exactly the same order as the songs are on the album too. Sure it would've been nice to hear his early stuff but if I remember correctly it was "THE BLAZE OF GLORY TOUR"  ???

I'll have check out her new album now....just as soon as I find an establishment that actually sells cd's!  >:(

walkonby

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 10:48:23 am »
I'm still waiting for more details on the dog that drank the toilet water.

perhaps listening to this pj harvey person is as gross as a dog drinking water out of a toilet.

teepo

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 12:05:17 pm »
did they want her to play songs exclusively from dry and rid like me?

hearing all twelve songs from an AOTY contender sounds great to me.

WHY DID SHE SKIP DC?

godsshoeshine

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 12:15:25 pm »
i wonder if some people bought tickets because she plays in the states so seldom and so few places

i also have not yet bought the album, even though i listened to it on npr and enjoyed it. great artist
o/\o

Vas Deferens

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 12:17:37 pm »
the new album is $5 on amazon.com through the end of April....
(_|_)

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 12:21:57 pm »
Mistake #1 - reading BV commenters and actually thinking that theyre real comments by fans who went to the show.

Read the blog on a regular basis and youll figure that out quite quickly.

HeyLa

godsshoeshine

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 12:31:21 pm »
the new album is $5 on amazon.com through the end of April....
my man! downloading when i get home
o/\o

Got Haggis?

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 01:48:41 pm »
sucks that she skipped DC.....Freefest maybe?

Vas Deferens

(_|_)