Author Topic: Paul Simon ROLL CALL OMFGWTFBBQ123!!!!!  (Read 9215 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Paul Simon ROLL CALL OMFGWTFBBQ123!!!!!
« on: May 27, 2011, 12:23:07 pm »
i'll be down in the pit tonight, throwin' elbows.  if i don't get dragged out of the show in a thatguy head-lock i will consider tonight a failure.

meetup?  beforehand i'll be staking out a spot on the floor since i don't intend on getting there early enough for balcony rail.  afterwards, i'll inevitably be bounced out by security but i'll sneak back in to the backbar for a post-show glass of pinot grigio.  anyone else?
<sig>

walkonby

Re: Paul Simon ROLL CALL OMFGWTFBBQ123!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 12:25:18 pm »
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 03:36:32 pm by walkonby »

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 12:28:53 pm »
Only cause I be the first to be tossed tonight Graceland makes me want to riot,  its also a rare kosmette appearance
T.Rex

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 01:24:54 pm »
I'll be there, most likely near my usual spot.

lily1

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 01:26:30 pm »
i'll be there. hopefully by 6.30 if i can sneak out of work early.

lagas

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 01:28:18 pm »
there as well
zorra

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 01:58:40 pm »

where's that?  gonna have some time to kill before PS hits the stage, might as well be surrounded by friendlies. 
<sig>

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 02:06:57 pm »

where's that?  gonna have some time to kill before PS hits the stage, might as well be surrounded by friendlies. 

In the back, to the left of the soundboard.  I don't anticipate getting there very early, but look for me.  We'll be there eventually.  :-)

bellenseb

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 02:23:54 pm »
Looking at the recent setlists at setlists.fm, they've been pretty uniform. Wonder if the small club setting will mean any change in setlist?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 02:35:18 pm »
Looking at the recent setlists at setlists.fm, they've been pretty uniform. Wonder if the small club setting will mean any change in setlist?

i can't remember where, but i did read that the club shows will be more informal and might not feature the entire touring band.  paul simon said something to the effect of "we'll play a few songs off the new album, then it'll be me an acoustic guitar and whatever i feel like playing".  so i'm hoping for something a little different tonight.

i was at the DAR show and thoroughly enjoyed myself so more of the same wouldn't be so bad.  the new songs are solid.  his solo rendition of "sounds of silence" gave me shivers.  i like how he varied all the classics.  his 3-person acoustic cover of "here comes the sun" got a rating of "epic" from me.
<sig>

walkonby

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 02:36:53 pm »
can't wait til sat . . . when we hear about how all the people in the club were too crowded and rude to each other.

heather

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 02:44:42 pm »
i can't remember where, but i did read that the club shows will be more informal and might not feature the entire touring band.  paul simon said something to the effect of "we'll play a few songs off the new album, then it'll be me an acoustic guitar and whatever i feel like playing".  so i'm hoping for something a little different tonight.

i was at the DAR show and thoroughly enjoyed myself so more of the same wouldn't be so bad.  the new songs are solid.  his solo rendition of "sounds of silence" gave me shivers.  i like how he varied all the classics.  his 3-person acoustic cover of "here comes the sun" got a rating of "epic" from me.

and reading this, i just got the chills.  i'm incredibly excited for tonight!!

Relaxer

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2011, 02:45:08 pm »
When I saw Paul Simon in 91 or 92 (Rhythm of the Saints tour), he played You Can Call Me Al and the whole place went nuts, so much so that he said "You wanna hear it again?" and then he played it again! Which just made the people go more crazy. I remember thinking "Wow, that was pretty special" but then I read in Rolling Stone that he did that at every show and I was kind of disappointed in a sad way.
oword

Yada

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2011, 03:05:12 pm »
When I saw Paul Simon in 91 or 92 (Rhythm of the Saints tour), he played You Can Call Me Al and the whole place went nuts, so much so that he said "You wanna hear it again?" and then he played it again! Which just made the people go more crazy. I remember thinking "Wow, that was pretty special" but then I read in Rolling Stone that he did that at every show and I was kind of disappointed in a sad way.

Want a cookie? ;D

I'll be there, stage left, by the bar.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2011, 03:15:48 pm »

well there is a no-win situation for you.

if he does play the song twice, you feel like the experience wasn't special because he did the same thing at all the other shows.

if he doesn't play it twice, you feel cheated - "how come everyone else got it twice and we didn't?"

man, it must SUCK to be paul simon.
<sig>